Bringing food into the parks????

jwolfe

Earning My Ears
Ok, I know the books and "official" word is that you can not bring food into the theme parks, but do they really check that?????

I'm trying to save a little with 3 children and would like to pack sandwiches in my mini back-pack. I know there will be some people who disagree with me about bringing food into the parks, but has anyone here ever done it? I would think there's too many people for Disney to really worry about it.

Any thoughts?;)

Juli

Okay, I'll be brave and 'fess up...I've brought food into the parks in the past. I've never brought sandwiches, though, just "snacky" items to tide us over throughout the day, like power bars, granola mix, etc. When the CM checked my diaper bag, he just chuckled and said, "Sooo, you think you've got enough power bars packed for the day?" As long as you're not carrying in an entire picnic, I think you'll be fine. Just a couple of ideas for you...If you're not staying onsite and can't go back to your room for meals, some people have gone back to their cars for a picnic lunch break. It just depends how pressed you are for time. If you don't want to take the time to do that, there are some "reasonably priced" (for WDW, anyway ;) ) items that you can get to eat in the parks. Do a search on these boards and you should find lots of ideas for "cheap eats" in the parks.

Me too, ziplock bags full of cheeze its and such. Actually, I've brought in 1/2 peanut butter sandwiches in ziplocks before. My DD just loves peanut butter and when she wont eat anything else, I know she'll at least eat that! I've never been questioned or stopped. However, I really don't over do it. A small cooler with water bottles and a few 1/2 sandwiches. No one could ever think we wern't going to eat in the parks based on the amount of food I bring in.

We've brought in snacks before on many occassions. Small things like fruit snacks, ritz bits, handi-snacks, etc. These really help curb hunger while waiting in line. The kids each carry their own fanny pack and take a few things each day. One day the security guard kiddingly told my son that he'd only let him pass if he would share his doritos. LOL!

With the new security checks they definitely know what you're bringing in. While the official policy is that you're not to bring in outside food, they never say a word about bringing a few snacks.

I just checked the official Disney website and this is what they say about food in the parks:

Q. May I bring my own food and beverages in to the Water Parks?

A. Coolers of a size that may be safely carried are permitted. No glass containers or alcoholic beverages allowed. There is no storage areas for coolers.

Hope this helps.

But that is water parks, not the theme parks.

I have never had a problem either. We bring snacks and water bottles. I am sure they are more concerned about security nowadays then if you are bringing food into the park.

you should have no problem - Just don't bring enough for the entire park to eat!:Pinkbounc

Thanks for the help, I've been searching and have seen some neat ideas to use. I think I will probably bring in the 1/2 pb sandwiches, I have VERY picky eaters. :)

Juli

Most Disney restaurants have peanut butter sandwiches. Even if they aren't listed on the menu, they are often there if you ask.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't pack a sandwich - just that your picky eaters won't starve if you forget or decide not to bother.

Smuckers now makes a pre-packages PB&J 'roundwhich'. It also has NO CRUSTS! Our kids gobble them up. I've ordered from Market day, and from COSTCO.

http://www.marketday.com/Prod_View.asp?ItemID=8844

They also have a grilled cheesa 'roundwhich'

http://www.marketday.com/Prod_View.asp?ItemID=6162

They come frozen. Just throw a few in your bag and it will thaw before lunch. Great snack for travelling. Pre-packaged, no mess, easy to store.

Now, do I sound like a commercial for these things or what!!!!!
LOL :cool:

I like most people have carried snacks and drinks into the park but I don't LIKE to carry all the stuff. We found a few cheap, better for you snacks at WDW that I thought you might like to hear about. If you go into almost any gift shop and look behind the check out area they have all kinds of pre packaged snacks for around a dollar. They have things like mickey shaped pretzels, cookies and crackers. They had small packs of graham crackers with a Disney theme as well. The packs were a good size and would be a good snack for 2 small children. Kids like them and they are less messy and cheaper that other snack stand snacks and you don't have to carry them. When we had a annual pass to our local theme park, I took sandwiches all the time. We have a insolated back pack and I put them in sandwich shaped plastic containers and the were perfect. Carried Sams drinks. I have also done that at WDW with no problems.Six drinks for 1.50 compaired to one for 2.00. We always carry fruit snacks into WDW. They fit in my fanny pack, are no mess and good to pass time in line.

Jordan's mom

I've taken food in a small cooler in addition to my kids wearing fanny packs with snacks. I took 4 1/2 sandwiches plus drinks, but that was before 9-11. With a family of 5, though, I still don't think they're going to care.

My question is: Do you know anyone who was told they COULDN'T take their cooler in the parks? I've never read someone post they tried to take food and were forbidden.

I took granola bars and Mickey Mouse gummi snacks in my fanny pack (like 5 of each - it was a tight fit) and the security people just jokee with me that they wanted some. These were the best things I took into the parks besides the tickets! It's amazing what a morale booster a cheap little snack like that can be for the kids. Personally, I wouldn't want to carry sandwiches around with me - we went back to the room for a mid-day break and made our sandwiches fresh there. Having been fortified by the snacks, and wanting to swim anyway, this worked out well for us.

Some of the "non-junk" snack items that we carried in were: single serving cups of--applesauce, diced fruit and fat-free pudding. Also, dried fruit (raisins and apricots).

If your kids like cheese, we brought in a can of aerosol cheese (I guess technically it is a processed cheese food, or something like that......more Velveeta than real cheese, but you don't have to worry about keeping it cool, and you can put it on crackers or bread.

I got a small, soft cooler on clearance at Walmart for $5 and used it on our last trip. My kids are picky and I am always trying to diet, so bringing in a few things helps. You can bring drinks as alternatives to sugary ones, or healthy snacks to round out meals, or just some serious JUNKFOOD -- whatever suits your family. No one EVER questioned this at the security check. They are looking for weapons, not Teddy Grahams!

I think bringing food makes sense for anyone with a toddler, a dieter, a diabetic or a picky eater. It's not as if you won't sepnd money in the parks anyhow! Having your own snacks helps when the kids are hungry but it's not quite mealtime yet.

I have taken in meat sandwiches in a soft cooler with fruit and chips. I had no trouble when I went through the security search.

My favorite thing to take in is a jar of peanut butter with plastic spoon shoved in for spreading. Then I snag the individual jellies from the hotel and some bread. I also take apples. No refridgeration required. I put it all in a disney bag and hang it from the stroller. For me, (kids age 6,3,1) this solves a lot of problems. If someones hungry you whip it out and no hungry melt down. It cuts the budget and you don't have to stop riding for a lunch ressie.

I take several frozen water bottles.

The only problem is DH says he doesn't like peanut butter and jelly. I'd like to think of something that doesn't require refridgeration that he'd like. He's dieting, so that's another issue. I do slim fast bars but that's not really a meal.

AK is my favorite place to picnic. It has so many secluded areas with marvelous views. Coming from Dino land to Asia, before you cross the bridge, there are dozens of shaded tables with fans.

Because no one in our family likes to carry any excess baggage we each have our own fanny pack & water bottle holder. Everyone gets to "pick & pack" their own healthy snacks & we freeze the water bottles overnight.

Our rule is "if you bring it, you carry it". That goes for sweatshirts, cameras, etc.

A friend brought a small soft-side cooler & rented a locker each day. She froze the juice boxes to keep things cold. You could also put ice in a ziploc baggie.

Going back to the car for a "picnic" is a good idea also if you have the time, but probably not as comfortable as finding a nice area in one of the parks.

We've never had a problem taking our snacks & water into the park & we've been doing it for years now. Before & after 9-11.

mcm,

The new foil pouches of tuna don't require refrigeration (and don't have the liquid that needs to be drained off). If your DH will eat tuna, that is an option. You can eat it plain, straight from the pouch or grab some condiments from your hotel, if needed. I took some of those on our trip, gave us a low fat option for some protein. They sell plain tuna in the pouches, and one of the companies also sells something they call "tuna creations" that have some seasonings in them (I haven't tried those). Also, I think that some companies have now started selling chunked chicken in those foil pouches, too.

whozit,

That is a great idea! I remember seeing those pouches now that you mention it. No can opener and no cooler required. That is exactly what I need. We go again for SuperSoap weekend and it'll be tuna for DH.

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter