• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bringing food onboard?

There will be signs posted before you get off at each port that will state what can't be taken off there. If I remember correctly we couldn't take anything will nuts in it off when we went to Alaska, I had brought trail mix with nuts and was disappointed we couldn't take it with us on the excursions.

A question about bringing bottled water on board: How much can each person bring? Does it have to be in a carry-on bag or can it just be in a grocery bag that you carry on? I understand it can't be in checked luggage.

A question about bringing bottled water on board: How much can each person bring? Does it have to be in a carry-on bag or can it just be in a grocery bag that you carry on? I understand it can't be in checked luggage.
You may bring onboard as much bottled water as you wish. But it has to be part of your carry on bags, not in checked bags. You will have to wrangle the water until such time as your room is ready (typically around 1:30).

You "carry on bag" is any bag you carry on. We typically carry our 12 packs by hand.

I guess my definition of "food" is different from others. I distinctly remember bringing candy, chocolate, and rice krispy treats from WDW and Universal onto and off the ship, either opened before boarding or opened on ship before debarking. I guess people are talking about stuff with nourishment:rotfl2:

We usually bring boxed candy for the movies since we all like it and it is MUCH cheaper than buying it on the ship. We just got off the Wonder this past Sunday and also had ziplocked bags full of snacks for DS15 and DS6 both when embarking & debarking with nothing being said.

The rules are that all food (even snacks and candy) must be unopened, factory sealed. Have people not followed the rules and not been caught?....Yes. Do we condone it?....NO. The rules are there for a purpose. That purpose usually is for the safety of you and others. Please follow the rules.

We've packed prepackaged food (cheezits, granola bars, candy bars, cookies) in our luggage before for snacking onboard and they have been fine. We've only had an issue once and it was with bringing on board leftovers after having lunch in Key West. My son didn't finish all his lunch so got it packed in a container by the restaurant and when we were getting back on board, the cast member at the X-ray machine saw it in my hand and said I couldn't take it on board so they tossed it. I didn't know that rule. Oh well.

We always brings snacks....I need my chocolate! And baggies.
We also bring nuts and bars to take on shore excursions.

Me too! I always have my "medicine" with me when I fly - M&Ms or Cadbury Mini Eggs (which I have renamed chocolate crack lol).

I bring a bag for the way there - and one for the return trip. As long as these are unopened - I'm ok? Even internationally? <- Rome, Italy. :)

Traveling from MCO to YVR. If we buy packaged M&Ms or any other sealed packaged candy and place that in our checked bags will Customs pull it?
Providing we carry the receipts (good idea!!) and declare items? Just not sure about entering into Canada. Last leg is SEA to YVR.
I agree about the lack of decent chocolate. However the Mickey Bars seem to be the same for taste. :)

Just spoke to DCL: you can carry on as much water & soft drinks that will fit into a 9"x14"x22" carry-on.

Just spoke to DCL: you can carry on as much water & soft drinks that will fit into a 9"x14"x22" carry-on.

You can carry on however much you and your traveling party can wrangle until the staterooms are available at 1:30. You just can't have it packed into a bag larger than those dimensions because anything you carry on must fit through a standard airport-type scanner.

Traveling from MCO to YVR. If we buy packaged M&Ms or any other sealed packaged candy and place that in our checked bags will Customs pull it?
Providing we carry the receipts (good idea!!) and declare items? Just not sure about entering into Canada. Last leg is SEA to YVR.
I agree about the lack of decent chocolate. However the Mickey Bars seem to be the same for taste. :)

Factory packaged candy and snacks should be fine to bring into Canada. We have brought lots of candy home from California to Victoria,BC. Only batch of candy that was questionable was my partially consumed tray of English toffee from Disneyland, because the toffee was covered in nuts. So long as you declare items you are unsure about on your customs declaration, you will be OK even if the food is not allowed (if you declare, worst that will happen is that you have to throw it out). I had declared the item because of the nuts, and when I explained where I bought it, I was allowed to keep my toffee.

Read the customs Declaration carefully because CBSA changes the wording from time to time. At the moment, I believe you must declare "Meat, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy products, fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, plants, flowers, wood, animals, birds, insects, and any parts, products or by-products of any of the foregoing". Whenever I am not sure, I check "yes" and I have never had any issues at customs.

As noted, that's the max size to fit through the scanner, but you can carry on as many carry on bags as you can handle until your room is ready.

The only rule I'm aware of is that it cannot be homemade food and must be in its original packaging.

This rule is enforced too. When boarding a few weeks ago, they had stopped a group of passengers who tried to bring on food in ziplock baggies. Unfortunately, the passengers didn't speak English and the security people were having a hard time explaining why they were taking the food.

We carried prepackaged food on, and took some in our suitcase (to take on a long excursion where we were unsure about the quality of the lunch).

My DW sent a survey to those going on a cruise with us as to their favorite sunday toppings. She has a goody bag for each person with their choice of toppings. After this thread, I'm going to instruct everyone to put the stuff in the luggage. We might get lucky and get it out pre-crushed, better for using as a topping. (Oreo cookies was one of the choices that almost everybody picked)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter