Bringing Permobil M1 wheelchair - is this okay?

Heather Cor

Earning My Ears
Long story short, we are bringing our 74 year old uncle on his dream trip to Disney! He's super excited!!! He has cerebal palsy and is wheelchair bound. He has a Permobil M1 wheelchair (I'll include the pic) that he can operate just fine.
rfDjm7MNCRQQT3zHA

Here's my dilemma. I want him to have the best time possible at Disney (who wouldn't?) but with the weight and size of his wheelchair, I dont know if there are any restrictions? Will he be able to go on rides? Would it be easier to just bring his manual wheelchair and push him? (which btw, is never an issue) I guess my concern is his comfort level and making sure he has a great time. If the decision is to bring his manual chair, we will start keeping him more in that chair leading up to the vacation so he can get more used to it for longer stints.

This is our first vacation with him and I want him to have the best time ever. I will be combing through the boards for any tips on rides, lodging, etc for him but if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them too!

Thanks so much everyone! :)

First, read the second post in the WDW FAQ thread, pinned above. I know there are size restrictions for mobility devices. It tells what's accessible to which devices, where he would have to transfer, etc. I don't know if that chair will fit some places, like on buses.

Just from looking at their video it looks like it should work with most rides that can take a chair - but that's only from looking at a video. But as someone a year your older than uncle I would hate not to have my power chair with me and have to rely on being pushed by others.

I assume he would be most comfortable in his own chair and I see no reason why it wouldn’t be allowed like any other mobility device. I can’t see your picture but the Permobil website lists that model as 24” x 35.5” which is well within the WDW specs allowed. Can he transfer for some rides? Check the disABILITIES FAQs thread for details on which rides allow him to remain in his chair and which will require a transfer.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

Enjoy your vacation!

the Permobil website lists that model as 24” x 35.5” which is well within the WDW specs allowed
I think that's the base, so yes. But the chair itself is pretty much a recliner so may be too large.

OP, you're going to think I'm crazy, but as a paratransit customer who's shared at least one ride with someone in a Permobil - could you please do what you can to ensure his feet are presentable or that he walears shoes?

My daughter has a Permobil F5 VS. We have NOT brought her power wheelchair to WDW because we are concerned about damage during air travel. Her chair has lots of moving parts - it can recline, raise the seat and she can stand and drive in it. We bring her manual wheelchair, which is a similar size.

I measured her power wheelchair and even though it looks huge, it is only 26 inches wide by 45 inches long (that includes the measurement from back wheels to the tips of her footrests, plus a tiny bit for her feet).
That size puts it in the 'footprint' for attractions of no more than 32 inches wide and 48 inches long.
Her wheelchair seat is very narrow - her seat cushion is only 15 inches wide. The seat width and length varies by the person, so the seat might be wider for some people, which might make it too wide.
According to the wheelchair owner's manual, that model can be up to 31 inches wide, which would be an exceptionally tight fit in some attractions. The owner's manual says it is 191 kg - or 418 pounds (much heavier than I thought ) that includes the batteries, but not accessories, such as the seat.

In general, power wheelchairs are handled the same as manual wheelchairs and can go on any wheelchair accessible ride cars on attractions. I have personally seen Permobil wheelchairs on different attractions at WDW.
Some attractions have a weight limit of no more than 800 pounds total, so some users might be too heavy with the weight of their wheelchair plus the person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter