Bringing someone else's kid on a cruise

GatorMomInNC

DIS Veteran
My husband backed out of our Dream HOTHS cruise in September. So I am letting my 15 year old son bring his best friend - our neighbor's son.

Anyone done this before, or know if there is anything special I need to worry about? This will be his first cruise ever. He has a passport. Do I need to get some signed paperwork from his parents? I purchased his airline ticket but they are reimbursing me for that. I will go ahead and purchase insurance when I do the PIF next month.

If they end up wanting to do any excursions on CC will I be able to sign any releases for him?

My husband backed out of our Dream HOTHS cruise in September. So I am letting my 15 year old son bring his best friend - our neighbor's son.

Anyone done this before, or know if there is anything special I need to worry about? This will be his first cruise ever. He has a passport. Do I need to get some signed paperwork from his parents? I purchased his airline ticket but they are reimbursing me for that. I will go ahead and purchase insurance when I do the PIF next month.

If they end up wanting to do any excursions on CC will I be able to sign any releases for him?
It's a good idea to get a permission letter from both parents. Basically saying (the other boy's name) is authorized to travel with (your names) on (dates) to (countries to be visited). Signed by both parents.

Also, a medical release, in case it's needed.

Just know that they'll probably take off to the Vibe for most of the trip, so you will be doing things on your own. Plan accordingly and make rules, like "we have to have dinner together". Or, "If you're going to a movie, ask mom if she wants to come."

Also, make sure both your son and his friend understand the rules you expect, like, "don't go into other people's rooms or have them in yours" and "be home by X o'clock".

Oh, yeah, since you'll have your son and his (male) friend in the room with you, it might be a good time to splurge and buy yourself the Luxury At Sea for One, as you don't want to be accidentally seen in your Pjs... :rolleyes1

upload_2019-4-28_17-49-39.png

Just took my 14 year old nephew with me on the Wonder. Disney has a form you need the parents to sign that you submit at check-in. This will be flagged when you go through the online check-in process for you to download the form. Also take a medical release just in case. I held on to his passport in the safe. Very easy.

We’ve let our kids bring friends along several times. It’s always been so fun to experience the cruise through a new set of eyes. Your son will have some great memories from this trip.

It’s been pretty easy to do. You need a the passport and the form mentioned above. Also, be sure to get all of his medical insurance info just in case of an emergency.

Have a blast!

Also make sure that the insurance plan you purchase will cover the friend - there are some policies that only cover those who live in your household.

Per the US Customs and Border Protection:

Unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the child must have a notarized letter from the other parent or signed by both parents stating, "I acknowledge that my son/daughter is traveling outside the country with [the name of the adult] with my permission."

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/your-trip

I would also highly recommend a medical power of attorney for any emergencies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter