Bringing someone else's minor child

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
My wife and I are considering taking my son's 16-y.o. girlfriend with us on our next trip to WDW. Never having taken a minor on a trip without their parents present, I am trying to get a bead on all of the requisite paperwork I should get from her mom to make sure that if anything goes awry, I have authority to make decisions on behalf of the girl.

We drive to WDW, so there are no airline issues to deal with. A copy of an insurance card is the #1 obvious choice, in case she gets hurt/sick. And some kind of authorization to make medical decisions if needed. Is there anything else I should get?

Please and thank you!

Squirk

Last edited:
A copy of her medical insurance card and a signed letter from the parents giving you permission to seek medical treatment should cover you.

A copy of her medical insurance card and a signed letter from the parents giving you permission to seek medical treatment should cover you.

Totally agree. I would also ask the girl's parents if there's anything she canNOT do. Obviously, illegal things but if she can't talk to Person A, you need to know that. I would suggest you inviting the girl's parents over for dinner or snacks on a weekend and ALL of you discuss any issues. Make it a fun time but have paper and pen ready for notes and let all express their opinions.

The letter's not necessary as was covered above. For future reference you do not need any documentation if the child (under 18) was flying with you either. The TSA will not accept it. Who's to say it's not fake? What they might do is ask the child a few questions.

We've taken DS's friend twice now, we do a copy of his insurance card and a signed letter.

We just returned from a trip on which we brought DD's friend, age 11. We had the insurance card, birth certificate, and medical authorization, but we didn't need any of it. For all intents and purposes, it was exactly like traveling with my own kids, even at the airports.

We had looked into taking a cruise, but leaving the country is more complicated. Domestic travel is easy as can be.

As someone who advises medical institutions, definitely get the medical authorization. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a signed and dated document saying they give you the right to make medical decisions for their child during the dates of the trip. Oh, and it should include their insurance information on it. Yes, a hospital will also probably try to call the parents first, if there's time, but it's good to have on hand. There's a subtle difference between emergent (this kid will die if we don't do X now) situations where no authorization is needed, and urgent (this kid needs a transfusion because there's a good chance they'll need emergency surgery in the next few hours) medical situations. The authorization would help for the latter.

Thanks, folks. The parenting aspects of the trip - sleeping arrangements, curfew, etc. - are all well in hand.

My question was more about documentation needed when interacting with external parties - Disney, doctors, hospitals, etc. Odds are high that we won't need any of it, but you know - better to have it and not need it, than the reverse.

Her driver's license, her insurance card, a medical proxy signed by her mom. Sounds like that is all I need.

Thanks again!

If you're coming internationally it's even more fun. I have to carry my wife's death certificate with me on every trip from Toronto to WDW. Been on ten trips, was asked for it about half the time.

I would have some understanding of who's financially responsible for her expenses, including if she would end up not going or the relationship ends. Teenage relationships can sour in a hurry.

I would have some understanding of who's financially responsible for her expenses, including if she would end up not going or the relationship ends. Teenage relationships can sour in a hurry.

Yes, we have contingency plans in place in case the relationship goes south. ;)

Her family doesn't have tons of money, so we are happy to cover tickets, food, etc. I will hold off on buying her MYW ticket until we get there (i.e., so we don't go out of pocket on the ticket in case they break up, like, a week before we go), and I will limit charging privileges for her, like I do for my own kids.

She seems like a sweet girl, so as long as everyone stays in their assigned bedrooms at night, I don't anticipate any problems.

My wife runs a summer camp and carries around an entire notebook of medical authorizations because they travel a lot. The only thing I can add is I take photos of all important cards and documents with my phone in case the hard copies get lost, ruined, etc. I delete these after each trip.

My mom was watching my sister's kids for a week, my niece had an ear infection. She gave the medical provider the letter, that was all that was needed. My sister was overseas, it wasn't an emergency, it was nice to have the doctor evaluate and treat without having to reach her parents.

permission to seek medical treatment should cover you.
I know my pediatricians office had a form to fill out with signatures from both parties regarding ability to take for and receive protected health information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter