• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Britney Spears

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....I may not have said it here but I have said it IRL.

As far as the conservatorship goes, clearly her father was not the right person to be in charge of it. That said, do you (collective you) have any idea what kind of case you have to have against an adult (let alone an adult with fancy attorneys in their corner) to get a conservatorship over them? You have to have one hell of a lot of evidence. My ex in laws consulted a lawyer about getting a conservatorship or POA or something over my ex at one point because at the time he had been in and out of rehab about 6 times and been in and out of the mental hospital another 6 times or so for suicide attempts such. The lawyer told them they didn't have a chance at getting a conservatorship over him when he was very clearly in crisis and couldn't care for himself.

Her argument that the conservatorship should end because her father wouldn't let her get her iud removed so she could have another baby was laughable. If you have a conservatorship in place it's because you have been deemed incompetent to make your own decisions, of course you therefore are unlikely to be able to care for a child, particularly when you already have 2 older children you have very little contact with.

Craziness all around.
Well as we've learned from Michael Oher's case that's not necessarily how it works as in that you have been deemed incompetent to make your own decisions. I doubt anyone is really arguing against oversight over Britney but to have someone tell you you can't have an IUD out for any reason is very much like telling a woman you can't have a tubal ligation without your husband consent or if you're not of a certain age and regular folks all over have discussed that. Men don't typically go over that same level of interference with vasectomies.

There's actually quite a lot of stories from people, I think John Oliver did a segment on it for conservatorship. And interestingly he gives a different tale about the difficulty of getting it. Although he discusses Guardianship as well as Conservatorship--some states use this term legally speaking interchangeably. In my state a Conservatorship is designed for financial really whereas Guardianship is more on the personal level. One thing it does highlight is how incredibly easy it is for these two things to be abused and taken advantage of by those in control. It's not a long video but a good one to listen IMO. Slightly not related as we're talking about Britney's dad but just the whole process itself. Britney isn't elderly but the premise is really the same.

Men don't typically go over that same level of interference with vasectomies.
In 2003, Kaiser required my wife’s permission for my vasectomy. We were required to both attend a pre surgery counseling appointment and then both had to sign the paperwork that concluded the appointment.

Not sure if 20 years later they still have the same policies.

In the case of a married couple I am conflicted as to if it is appropriate for the spouse to have that much influence over the others medical choices. I can see both sides.

In 2003, Kaiser required my wife’s permission for my vasectomy. We were required to both attend a pre surgery counseling appointment and then both had to sign the paperwork that concluded the appointment.

Not sure if 20 years later they still have the same policies.

In the case of a married couple I am conflicted as to if it is appropriate for the spouse to have that much influence over the others medical choices. I can see both sides.
Back that up to the countless examples of women and your one experience is small pickins. It's not singularly about married women. Just on the DIS there's multiple threads on women's experiences. Single women, younger women, married women so many of them go through hoops and loops and more hoops more often than men do which was more the driving point. It didn't mean you wouldn't find a man out there who somehow had the same experience as what women do but rather women have it so much more often and they are certainly not under some sort of guardianship nor conservatorship.

Back that up to the countless examples of women and your one experience is small pickins. It's not singularly about married women. Just on the DIS there's multiple threads on women's experiences. Single women, younger women, married women so many of them go through hoops and loops and more hoops more often than men do which was more the driving point. It didn't mean you wouldn't find a man out there who somehow had the same experience as what women do but rather women have it so much more often and they are certainly not under some sort of guardianship nor conservatorship.
I was not saying that reproductive rights are not lopsided, just wanted to say I was conflicted if it was appropriate in the case of a married couple that one person can decide that the other can or cannot reproduce. I guess they can always do that by refusing to have sex with their spouse so is there really a difference in requiring a spouse to approve a reproductive decision? Spouses make that decision every day for their spouse. Arguably procreation is generally a goal of marriage.

As for Britney, the court ruled she was not allowed to make decisions for herself. Whether that decision by the court was correct or not is a different question. But as long as the court order was in place I don't have a problem with the person the court put in charge making all health related decisions.

Last edited:
As for Britney, the court ruled she was not allowed to make decisions for herself. Whether that decision by the court was correct or not is a different question. But as long as the court order was in place I don't have a problem with the person the court put in charge making all health related decisions.
There's not really a dispute over that but it's usually been a question of just how far and the depth of control. If you haven't watched the John Oliver video you might. Carte blanche is a dangerous place to be in and it's one thing for us to sit here pondering this but another thing if any one of us was actually under that. And once under a conservatorship (or guardianship) it can be very difficult to get out of it. The system has much less oversight than one would think for someone having control over another person's financial and physical life. As the video stated 12 states require certification for guardianship which means in most of our states your qualifications are.....nothing...just that you're stating to the courts that you'd be the better person for it.

I guess what I'm trying to separate out is Britney the person vs what situation Britney was in. Whether any one person likes her isn't really the point. Her case whether any one person agrees on all the facets of it shined a light on a situation that most of us haven't even thought of or realized the depths of what can happen. And I have no qualms about her discussing an abortion she had no matter how long ago it occurred but I got the point another poster brought up with how long she's been under a conservatorship as that could have influenced her disclosures now on what she chose to disclose.

just wanted to say I was conflicted if it was appropriate in the case of a married couple that one person can decide that the other can or cannot reproduce.
I agree with you there but would expand that to say not just married couples. Being married shouldn't mean the other person has that right any more than if you were in just a committed relationship.

I'm just shocked that Cabanafrau and McKenzie-Click Mickelson are arguing with each other because I could have sworn they were the same person :rotfl2:Same exact posting style. Oh well. The Dis always amazes lol
Yeah no I'm just Mackenzie :p and I don't run into Cabanafrau much lately to know their posting history.

One thing that just came to mind is Justin had his song "cry me a river" about him and Britney. He's made millions off of that. I'm not sure he asked for her permission, gave her any consideration at all really. And while he has stated his song "what goes around...comes around" isn't about him and Britney it def. gave me the same vibes of it. I don't really know that Justin was much concerned about damaged reputations there and there would have been a child in the mix had the abortion not occurred when the songs came out.

One thing that just came to mind is Justin had his song "cry me a river" about him and Britney. He's made millions off of that. I'm not sure he asked for her permission, gave her any consideration at all really. And while he has stated his song "what goes around...comes around" isn't about him and Britney it def. gave me the same vibes of it. I don't really know that Justin was much concerned about damaged reputations there and there would have been a child in the mix had the abortion not occurred when the songs came out.
That time around those songs and their personal lives is all kinds of messed up.

The Cry Me A River song is about when Britney had an affair with a guy called Wade Robson. Wade Robson was the main chorographer for NSYNC and Britney at the time. On the NSYNC dvd documentary called Making The Tour in 2000 he is kinda like the 6th unofficial member, he was very good friends with Justin Timberlake. Justin and Britney were together and Wade Robson was in a long term relationship with Brandi Jackson, who is the niece of Michael Jackson. Her father is Jackie Jackson. Wade and Britney got together, Justin found out, wrote the song Cry Me A River.

Wade Robson, btw is the guy who has falsely accused Michael Jackson of abuse.

In 2019 Brandi wrote about it on Twitter

brandi 1.jpg

brandi 2.jpg

The Cry Me A River song is about when Britney had an affair with a guy called Wade Robson.
Yeah she admitted in the book she did have the affair (which was rumored and most of us agreeing yup it was) but when Justin wrote the song(s) he didn't do it because he was concerned about how it would look to his and her friends nor his or her family. He was the heartbroken guy and he made a lot of money off of it not at all shying away from alluding to it being about Britney in his lyrics and music video. Can any of us say we've never listened to the song (or both songs) lol. I mean we all joke about Taylor Swift making song after song after song of her breakups, I don't see much difference with a book. I'd say a song probably nets someone if it's a big hit more residuals than just a book deal which will usually fade much faster in the public's interests. Cry Me a River is still played on some radio stations same as "What Goes Around".

Going into it more Britney's song "Everytime" which I remember was delicate in nature as far as the music video was. Looking into it take wikipedia source for what it is but a backup vocalist to her tour at the time stated "Everytime" was written in large part as a response to "Cry Me a River" as well as various radio interviews. Artani explained, "He was getting personal. Here, she had a different type of image, and he was really exposing some stuff that she probably didn't want out there, and in front of her little sister ... I remember her sister being mortified and her being mortified. I'm sure that that really hurt her." The song was also speculated to be a reply to Timberlake's "Never Again", a ballad which appeared on his debut solo album Justified. "

Now her song "Everytime" was nowhere near as big as his songs he probably has made more money off of them over the years.
That time around those songs and their personal lives is all kinds of messed up.
I agree which is more all the reason why I understand why she's coming out now with it too. They seem to have taken shots publicly at each other during that time but for quite a long time her voice was not one that could be heard in a way his could and her life spiraled quickly. His life moved in in many ways but society also favored that anyhow. Her life was always under much more scrutiny than his ever has been. I'd like to think if this situation happened now we would look at it under a different set of lens.

Justin had a lot to do with the negative direction of two huge female pop stars Janet and Britney and never really received any proper backlash for it

Can't wait for the book. I heard Michelle Williams is doing the audiobook?

I really don't care about Britney & Justin's dating & bedroom escapades. Am not going to be buying Britney's book. Think she needs a psychiatrist...all of the knife dancing is some pretty crazy stuff. And dude, put some clothes on that girl. so tired of her selfies & videos of her in her hardly-there underwear...it's not a good look for her.

Justin had a lot to do with the negative direction of two huge female pop stars Janet and Britney and never really received any proper backlash for it
True. I remember years later people discussing retrospectively about all the vitriol towards Janet and for Justin it was like shrugged off. I think many thought it was intentional what he did but it seemed to be talked about in a joking manner and for Janet people were like "for shame Janet!!"

True. I remember years later people discussing retrospectively about all the vitriol towards Janet and for Justin it was like shrugged off. I think many thought it was intentional what he did but it seemed to be talked about in a joking manner and for Janet people were like "for shame Janet!!"

he has also been invited back to the super bowl since that happened. Janet? not so much

In fairness it was a fake knife and it was "in honor" of shakira winning the VMA award that night

And more often than not its a two piece bathing suit she is dancing in. Some of it is odd but she has had an odd/abnormal life

I really hope she and Justin Bieber work it out. They seemed like such a lovely young couple.

Have not read what others have written yet.

First of all, isn't this the 21st century? As of right now, women still have the right of choice. So, people acting like it's so shocking Britney had an alleged abortion and she shouldn't talk about it is odd to me.

Second, I say "alleged abortion" as there have been many known and proven examples where Britney has lied. Video or picture footage, along with witnesses, have been shown to prove what she said was a lie, and yet, Britney double downs on what she claims happened. Whether it is due to mental illness and she actually believes what she says happened or is just plain lying, Britney is known to be a revisionist on events.

Britney's book was actually supposed to come out about a year or so ago, but the publisher held off on the release as they had to remove all PROVABLE lies and inaccuracies stated by Britney.

An abortion, unless she has a medical receipt documenting the procedure is an unprovable incident either way. :rolleyes1 So, it stayed in the book. (I feel bad for Justin if it's not true. If he tries to refute it, he will look like a big jerk. Like, he denied her the right to have a baby once before, now he's denying there even was a baby.

Britney has had a mental illness for many years. During all her years in the conservatorship, about 19 or more doctors evaluated her situation and all came to the same diagnosis. Certain mental illnesses get worse with age and time, not better, there is no cure. Which could be one of the reasons why the conservatorship had no end date in sight.

One of the reasons Britney's father gave up being part of her conservatorship was because, at the time Britney was in a long term relationship with the man who eventually became her husband, Sam. It was thought at the time, he'd be taking over Britney's day to day care. Unfortunately, they are now divorcing.

Supposedly, there is no one close to Britney now, there on a daily basis. Only her lawyer and maybe her old manager is in the picture. Recently, someone has been hired to come in and medically check on her every so often. But, they don't have official medical training. So, that could mean anything. She is estranged from ALL her family members, including her two sons. Their father, Kevin Federline, had recently moved them away to Hawaii, partly to escape them being in the constant limelight. Perhaps, he knew there would be a couple bombs dropping with her book.

Just because Britney's conservatorship ended, doesn't mean her mental illness ended. FACT: the CA judge ending her conservatorship never interviewed any doctors on her case, nor had a new medical evaluation done before ending the conservatorship. Fact: CA judges who preside over conservatorships and such cases are elected by public vote. The "Free Britney" movement fans could and probably would have made that judge's career and any election a nightmare had he decided to keep Britney in a conservatorship. :rolleyes1

IF Britney's mental illness is schizophrenia, one of the unfortunate hallmarks is that the patient doesn't believe they have an illness. They believe everyone around them are the ones crazy and saying the patient is ill, when they think they are not. It makes it very hard to treat a schizophrenic person. They routinely won't take their meds. Why should they" They are not sick.

IF the patient has paranoid schizophrenia, they often believe everyone close to them, family and friends, at one time, often many times, are out to get them, have it in for them, etc. They have many victim stories and are often estranged from these people. :rolleyes1 The very people who do, or did at one time want to help them. :( I personally know a couple people with these specific mental illnesses and watched their decline. To me, Britney seems to have many of the same symptoms above, along with others I didn't mention. Though, I am not a medical expert, nor pretend to be on the Internet.

I feel for Britney. The judge and her "Free Britney" fans, who know nothing about mental illness, did not do her any favors. If, anything, they will be partly at cause if things end up tragically for Britney. Britney is free. She has no one who can legally nor medically step in on her behalf. We will most likely have to wait until she does something, where she may be a danger to herself or others, (yet not fatal,) and is put on a 5150 psych hold. Then maybe she will get properly evaluated again get the medical / psychiatric help she needs. 🙏

Last edited:
In fairness it was a fake knife and it was "in honor" of shakira winning the VMA award that night

No, the knives were real. TMZ showed a screenshot of her original post where she mentioned she was playing in the kitchen earlier. No mention of Shikira, although Shikira and seeing the real knives in the kitchen may have given her the idea to dance. Only after Britney got many criticisms of dancing with real knives, she changed her post to say they are fake knives and turned off the comments for that post. Part of her being a revisionist on her events.

Yet, the next day she was dancing around again, and she had a finger bandaged and a cut on her thigh.

Previously, way, way before her knife dance, one of the experts who had weighed in on her conservatorship had given a list of warnings, moving forward, in regard to Britney. One of them is that Britney has a fascination with knives and those should be kept away from her. Also, supposedly, her soon-to-be-ex, Sam, was very alarmed to find Britney keeps big kitchen knives in their bedroom. She has a great fear of being hauled off to an institution again.

Britney has a mental illness. And she seems to be a bit mentally and emotionally "young" for lack of a better word. (Although, that could be because she's been controlled over most areas of her life.) But both of those together, along with her fascination with knives and Shirkira dancing with fake knives, could have created a situation where her judgement is not working well for her. The normal precaution most adults have: knowing not to play or dance with knives, isn't there. It may be that until she read several comments of how dangerous it was for her to dance with knives, that it didn't even occurred to her that she shouldn't do that. And then she changed her post.

Unfortunately, there's no one living with her now who's going to say, "Hey, Britney, I don't think dancing with real knives is a good idea. Let's wait to get you some fake knives, then you can dance with them all you want." :(

Last edited:
I view Britney the same way I view The Sussexes - they all say they want privacy and peace however do an awful lot to make sure that they keep in the limelight.

I sometimes imagine Britney is what Marilyn Monroe may have been like had she lived in our times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter