• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Broadway/theatre fans......I need info on "Spring Awakening".....

Minnie_me

DIS Veteran
My 15-year old DD has some theatre friends who are sophomores in college (they met doing Youth Theatre programs). The older kids just landed lead roles in a community theatre production of "Spring Awakening", and DD will want to go see it. I know nothing about it, other than it's been whispered about for being "inappropriate".

I'm not too overprotective with DD about what she watches, but I do like to be prepared. For example, we just went to see "Heathers", and that was pretty inappropriate in places, but we were fine with it. So, if any of you have seen this show, I'd appreciate details. THANKS!

Spring Awakening is essentially about teenagers discovering sex -- and being punished for it by fate and their parents. (The plot includes both a death and a pregnancy.) The original play was banned in many countries for nearly a century.

Google "Spring Awakening script" and you can read it for yourself; the play is out of copyright, though the musical doesn't stick perfectly to the original language (just as well, as the original English language translation is rather stilted; it was written in the late 19th century.)

I haven't seen it (but would love to). At 15, I can't imagine any topics tha would be off limit, sex, drugs, morals, regrets, alternate lifestyles, etc. my older kids were theater kids - it's amazing how many shows have prostitution in them! The younger siblings were always there.

I haven't seen it (but would love to). At 15, I can't imagine any topics tha would be off limit, sex, drugs, morals, regrets, alternate lifestyles, etc. my older kids were theater kids - it's amazing how many shows have prostitution in them! The younger siblings were always there.

Yes, I agree! As my DD says when I hesitate about an R-rated movie, "Mom, HIGH SCHOOL is R-Rated!" LOL!

I’ve seen it twice on Broadway: the original production, and the recent revival with the Deaf West theater company, which was pretty incredible. The characters in the show are all around 15, so I’d say that’s probably an OK age to see it. The characters are kids who are all....maturing, let’s just say...and the story is really about the terrible consequences of treating that as if it’s something wrong, or to be ashamed of.

It’s a bit blunt, if you’re not ready for it - there’s a song called “My Junk”, which is about exactly what it sounds like it’s about. It also deals with incest, abuse, teenage pregnancy, suicide, and abortion. Two characters do lose their virginity at the end of Act 1 - the Broadway version had some slight nudity in that scene, but I’m not sure if the community theater versions do that as well. There’s some language too, as the kids have to deal with some truly awful adults in the show, leading to a song called “Totally (Bleeped)” - which is also one of the best scenes in the show.

I think it’s really fine for a 15-year-old. It’s life, there's nothing inappropriate about the show by the time they’re that age. The show’s fanbase (who call themselves “The Guilty Ones”, after a song in the show) are predominantly teenagers, so I believe it’s struck a chord with a lot of kids. I thought it was a beautiful show, I can see why it has the following it does.

My 16 yo dd has seen it twice in NYC. I didn't go with her but from what she told me she's heard more graphic and inappropriate conversations in school.

I haven't seen it live but watched it on you tube ( sorry was too far away to see the orginal production) and the soundtrack is one of my favourites. Although the topics are intense I doubt there is anything in it that the typical 15 year old is not aware of already. My eldest is almost 13 but I don't think I would have any problem with her seeing it at 15.

It's a wonderful show... all about the consequences of living in an age when children were property and not given any information about sex or sexuality. The music is fabulous and covers the gamut from teen sex to suicide and everything in between. It has one of the saddest scenes I have ever seen on stage during a song called "Left Behind". My DD17 will be in a production next year and she cannot wait. Yes the language is raw at times but the content supports it and I do not feel it is gratuitous. I think a 15 year old can handle it... at least in my opinion but we are pretty open about that stuff.

Sorry, figuring out how to post from my phone!

Last edited:
Is the production, by any chance, in the Pittsburgh area? I'm directing one here and could provide details about our production if you'd like!

Side note, "My Junk" isn't about what you'd think. The junk refers to drugs and the girls are singing "My junk is you ", meaning that the attraction they have to boys is like an addiction.

Is the production, by any chance, in the Pittsburgh area? I'm directing one here and could provide details about our production if you'd like!

Nope, Rochester, NY!

Thanks to everyone for the specific feedback. It seems like I would be fine seeing it with her. Looking forward to it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter