Brokeback Mountain

LukenDC

DIS Veteran
I have not seen the movie Brokeback Mountain, but over the past weekend I read the short story and screenplay. It is an emotionally devastating, painful, beautiful story. I cannot stop thinking about it. I am an avid reader and no story has ever touched me so deeply.

I am thankful for the generally positive experiences I have had as a gay man. I came out when I was 18, attended a university known for its supportive environment, moved to a progressive city, worked for fine employers, and have wonderful gay friends. My family is 100% supportive and accepting.

Brokeback Mountain jostled me out of my comfortable urban gay life. It is an excruciating reminder that many gay men and lesbians are not as fortunate as myself. It hurts to know that there are gay people in this country who live in fear and denial and cannot achieve their full potential as human beings.

A few years ago I met a young man from South Carolina. He was kind, handsome, and compassionate. His deep brown eyes were marked with vulnerability and bespoke a longing for understanding. I asked him what it was like being gay in Charleston. He quickly remarked that people in SC "sure hate their homos." The matter of fact manner in which he said that about his home still tugs at my heart. It was as if life could not be any different.

Life can be different. Every month I donate money to organizations that champion gay civil rights and I write letters to the newspaper when I see an egregious case of gay bashing in print. But now I feel that those efforts undertaken from the comfort of my desk are not enough. I must do more. Volunteer, speak out, protest. Brokeback Mountain has led me to realize that MY full potential as a human being remains unfulfilled as long as I can raise my voice higher to help the vulnerable and suffering.

Thank you, Annie Proulx, for your marvelous story. I will carry Jack Twist and Ennis del Mar in my heart for ever more.

i so understand how you are feeling, after i saw the film and read the short story i felt the same way. It's a beautiful story but really sad and depressing. It's one of the best stories/films i have ever read/seen. And the actors are great. I can't get the pictures out of my head, and i really felt for the two, in my mind i'm still making up some happy ending :sad2:

Thankfully were i live i have never had problems with my lifestyle and i admit we sometimes forget that there are other places were it s not that easy. I feel for these people and hope that oneday being gay or lesbian will not be an isssue anymore.

tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter