Broken ankle right before we leave!

definitely see what the dr. says. i would also ask him about travel restrictions whether it be flying or driving. depending upon how severe the injury that would be a consideration. so sorry this happened. try not to stress and see what the dr. says before you make any decisions. hope your dd feels better : )

There are a lot of variables to think about when making this decision. First would be the type of fracture she has, the type of cast she will get, and the advice of the doctor. Next will be if you're flying or driving. Will this be your only trip to WDW? And lastly, how will she feel about being restricted in what she can do? You know your daughter best when it comes to her feelings about restrictions.

If she has to keep her leg extended, flying will be impossible and getting around the parks may be problematic. People don't always pay attention to others and could bump into her leg which would be quite painful. However, I'm guessing with an ankle fracture that won't be an issue. If your Urgent Care is like the one I work at, I'm thinking her fracture isn't too severe or she would have been sent to ER rather than having a splint applied.

Whatever your decision, your daughter will have a good time--it IS Disney World, after all. :D And I hope she starts feeling better soon.

On our last trip, we ran into a young boy with a cast at the pool. I struck up a conversation with the mom and found out he had broken his arm THE DAY BEFORE they were leaving! Talk about a huge disappointment and aggravation! They were able to get him into an ortho and get a waterproof cast. She said they got in bed around 11pm that night and were on the plane the next morning by 8am. He was running around having a great time. Definitely talk with the ortho and see what they suggest. If possible get a waterproof cast. I hope you have a good time whatever you decide. Even though the kids don't know about it yet, I can only imagine how disappointed you and DH would be! Pixie Dust that it all works out!

DD was in a cast for a surprise trip when she was 10. While she was a little bummed that she didn't get to swim (her case was not waterproof), the tie dye cast signed by all of the characters made for a cool souvenir. A leg cast may be harder to get signed though.

I would ask the doctor, and I would probably go if he okayed it. Kids bounce back a whole lot faster than adults do, and she'll be able to get around fine in the stroller with a wheelchair tag.

Update for everyone and now more advice needed!

So the Ortho said she injured her growth plate. She is in a walking boot for four weeks. He did say as long as she can sit and rest enough then Disney wouldn't be a problem. So, now I am thinking that since she is in a walking boot we might not be able to get the stroller as a wheelchair tag as a walking boot provides mobility. The problem is that she is 6 (going to be 7) and I know she will get tired a lot.

My daughter did same exact thing before our Halloween trip several years ago. We got a wheelchair for her as we were able to elevate her leg which helped prevent swelling. And she was made to feel like a queen because every cast member and many other visitors commented to her. She went through the handicap entrance at most rides which kept her out of the hot sun so that was a plus. Even though they are in a walking boot, the extra height is going to make her limp. I would suggest trying to find a sneaker for the other foot that has s pretty good size sole so her body is more even. And definitely do the wheelchair because she will get more tired because wearing that boot all day gets heavy! The pool will probably make her feel better too

Get the waterproof cast, a wheelchair will work better inside the park especially at restaurants and lines, and do get the Disney assistance card, it would get you on the rides without having your girl standing and thats what the card is for, guests with disabilities like your child will have during the trip, kids rebound really quick.
You will need also to get a handicapped room because they have the roll in showers and those have only king size beds, at least at Disney or you can bring a stool to be used at the bathtub, she will need one at home too for showers, I broke my ankle and unfortunately it needed surgery and that's a whole new level, hopefully she only needs a cast, if God forbid she ended up nedding surgery, cancel the trip is a very painful recovery.
Good luck :crutches:

So the Ortho said she injured her growth plate. She is in a walking boot for four weeks. He did say as long as she can sit and rest enough then Disney wouldn't be a problem. So, now I am thinking that since she is in a walking boot we might not be able to get the stroller as a wheelchair tag as a walking boot provides mobility. The problem is that she is 6 (going to be 7) and I know she will get tired a lot.
Yes she can get the wheelchair and the assistance card, I didn't see your update, by all means go ahead with the trip and even before entering the turnstiles go to guests services and get the Disney assistance pass, also hotels at disney might have a free complimentary wheelchair if available

When you get to the park go to guest relations they will help you out, they will give you things that your not even thinking about that will be helpful, don't cancel

I have been to Disney as a young child, a teenager, a young father, an old father, and I am leaving tomorrow going for the first time with my granddaughter. I hate to say this but in my opinion a Disney trip is so special for kids that if I could feasibly reschedule it I would. Its difficult for a kid to be a kid in a cast and a wheelchair.

Yes she can get the wheelchair and the assistance card, I didn't see your update, by all means go ahead with the trip and even before entering the turnstiles go to guests services and get the Disney assistance pass, also hotels at disney might have a free complimentary wheelchair if available
The daughter will not get a DAS since her only issue is mobility based. The DAS card is for other issues with waiting in line.

Also, the hotels have mostly gotten rid of their wheelchairs and the ones they do have are strictly for use at the resort. Often a CM will accompany the person using these chairs so that they can take them back once that person is where they need to go. I would not count on one being available at all.

Even with the boot, the OP should still head to guest services at the park and request a stroller as a wheelchair tag OR should rent a wheelchair. Even with the boot, the child's mobility will be limited.

Also OP, if you have not done so please check the DISabilities board here on the forums. They have all the correct and amazing information when it comes to cases like this. Many people have little understanding at what Disney offers so asking those who use the services all the time is a great idea. The amount of knowledge over there is insane.

You should definitely ask for a tag for using a stroller as a wheelchair. No need to debate or explain- just go to guest services and let them know you need one. They will not argue with you. Then, if you don't need it, don't use it, but you will have it if she gets tired. Also, just as a tip - it is NOT fun pushing double strollers through the queues, particularly Nemo and Ariel. I was exhausted from pushing my kids and all of the turns. If you do get the pass, you may decide to only use it in the afternoons when she is tried.

Just because she has a walking boot doesn't mean she should walk. You could still get the stroller tag. You probably won't qualify for a DAS because her inability to stand in lines is fixed with a stroller. Good luck and have a blast!!!

- Yes you can still get the "Stroller as a Wheelchair" tag. Tell Guest Relations she has a broken ankle with growth plate injury and is to stay off her feet as long as possible. You want to roll her in the lines and not put pressure on it.

- You also have the option of renting a wheelchair but I don't know the numbers in your family so you would have to be able to wrangle and push both the stroller and wheelchair. If possible and you want, could you switch your double for a single stroller with the wheelchair.

- If you go wheelchair route I would rent one from an off-property source that is able to deliver it to your resort and you then have at all times.

- Remember if she needs to ice there are free cups of ice at quick service locations. Take along a few ziploc bags.

- She will not qualify for the DAS assistance pass that others keep telling you to get, it is not for mobility issues, that is why the lines are accessible and they will give you the tag.

- Do NOT go to Guest Relations outside the park, you will often stay in line only to be told to go to the one inside the park. I have also found when they have assisted me, they get it wrong and I have to go inside anyway.

- Do not expect any extras, folks love to tell people they give you all kinds of bonus items ......... think about all the people who go with issues, they can't and often don't. If you get anything above and beyond from CMs consider it pixie dust and enjoy.

- And you do not need a handicapped room ??? She's a little person and her needs can all be addressed in a regular room.

- Note a few of us posting on this thread are well versed in disabilities and the Disabilities board. The other board would be a good source if you want to ask for the name of a good wheelchair company to rent from if you choose to go that route.

Keeping her off her foot is key with it involving the growth plate! Have fun!

The daughter will not get a DAS since her only issue is mobility based. The DAS card is for other issues with waiting in line.

Also, the hotels have mostly gotten rid of their wheelchairs and the ones they do have are strictly for use at the resort. Often a CM will accompany the person using these chairs so that they can take them back once that person is where they need to go. I would not count on one being available at all.

Even with the boot, the OP should still head to guest services at the park and request a stroller as a wheelchair tag OR should rent a wheelchair. Even with the boot, the child's mobility will be limited.
Yes she is more than quality for a DAS, she will get a return time because this kid can't be standing on a 30+ minutes line, how do I know it? I had use the DAS for mobility issues myself and also have a disabled family members who uses DAS on all our trips, DAS is not only for permanent disabilities and is pretty much up to the castmember at the guest services she will get a pass where they will probably will be given a return time in order to them do the waiting sitting and not standing, or will be allowed to keep her child on the stroller on the line, is up to guest service and what can they do to accommodate the girl injury and all this will be on the DAS information which is now storage in the magic band along with the disabled person picture, I know there is people who abuse the system and try to get the card for anything, like not because you ride a scooter you are entitled for a DAS, in her case is a real need she will get the card is for ASSISTANCE not to skip any line, great advise to go on the disability boards

Hey there...

So in 2010 my family booked our second Christmas vacation at Disney. Everything was perfect! I was wrapping up finals week and went out with some friends and... yeah I thought I rolled my ankle. The next day it was incredibly swollen. Turns out I broke my foot and sprained my ankle. All from stepping down a step the wrong way. Now, I was a 21 year old kid, so we rented a scooter and everything went pretty smoothly. In fact, I had a blast driving around on that thing. I will say this—within a week or two I was able to walk and put some weight on it. I wouldn't advise it. Honestly, I think it prolonged the healing, but I was able to walk around a little. I also have a friend that recently sprained his ankle and he was walking with a limp within a week or two. AGAIN, wouldn't recommend it, but it is possible to transfer from the wheelchair to a ride.

Most rides fit a wheelchair or EMV. If they don't, I'd have to transfer to a wheelchair (which shouldn't be a problem for your child.) Boat rides and continuous motion rides were a bit of a struggle, but I handled them. It'll probably be easier to help your 6yo onto a ride than it would be for my parents to help a 21yo.

I'd say still do the trip. Only you know if it'll affect you too much, but I'd do it. When my family threw around the idea of canceling the trip I was heartbroken. I felt like I was to blame. Not saying your daughter will or should think this, but just figured I'd throw that in there.

Thank you everybody. So after reading all of the replies, I know there is a lot of information and mis-information out there. The Disabilities boards have been a second home to me the last couple of days and the information there is amazing. Since we leave a week from Thursday, I will be most likely be posting over there as well for tips.
Just a couple of items that apply to us to clarify:
1) the dr did say she could walk around the parks. He stated as long as she has the boot on she will be ok as long as it is comfortable to her.
2) I don't expect a "front of the line" pass nor do I feel she needs one. If we can use the stroller as a wheelchair, we will be fine. We are renting a citi mini GT double (we own one so I know the mobility of it very well and it is a very easy push).
3) no, we won't be asking for a handicapped room. We need two beds for our family and I feel the rooms should be used for those who need it more than us.

Hopefully this clears up some of our expectations.

Yes she is more than quality for a DAS, she will get a return time because this kid can't be standing on a 30+ minutes line, how do I know it? I had use the DAS for mobility issues myself and also have a disabled family members who uses DAS on all our trips, DAS is not only for permanent disabilities and is pretty much up to the castmember at the guest services she will get a pass where they will probably will be given a return time in order to them do the waiting sitting and not standing, or will be allowed to keep her child on the stroller on the line, is up to guest service and what can they do to accommodate the girl injury and all this will be on the DAS information which is now storage in the magic band along with the disabled person picture, I know there is people who abuse the system and try to get the card for anything, like not because you ride a scooter you are entitled for a DAS, in her case is a real need she will get the card is for ASSISTANCE not to skip any line, great advise to go on the disability boards

This post is confusing and to clarify:
- A wheelchair or wheelchair tag is not the same as a DAS. Two different services.
- There needs to be other issues that can not be addressed any other way to qualify for a DAS.
- DAS is not for mobility issues and should not be issued for mobility issues.
- She absolutely qualifies for the Wheelchair or Wheelchair tag and should get it. It will be very helpful.

Sorry but many of us here are well versed in disabilities and the disabilities board and and DAS and we are not giving bad advise. A wheelchair or stroller as wheelchair tag is all that she needs and would probably be given. Staying off her foot in a mobility device is how they will manage throughout their trip and it applies to lines as well. OP has told us nothing about DD that would qualify for a DAS.

One option to consider is to rent a larger wheelchair. Something big enough the two girls can share and with a long enough seat the broken ankle is supported by it. The taller chair might be easier to push around. And it eliminates the need to push two things. When I was a kid (eons ago) my parents rented a wheelchair for grandma who refused to use it. Us kids (4,6,7) used it instead with two and sometimes all three of us riding at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter