• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Broken Arm/Shoulder- Traveling to Disney at 7 weeks

appleorchard

DIS Veteran
I fractured my humerus at the shoulder 4.5 weeks ago in a really spectacular fall while bowling. I'm sure it'll show up on uTube at some point lol. No surgery planned. We have a trip scheduled at 7 weeks post fracture, starting Nov. 1, and I think I greatly underestimated the effect it would have on the trip, partly because of my age(71). I figured at 7 weeks that I'd certainly be able to get around easily, lift my arm, drive, ride the buses and possibly even go on ToT. I'm also 7 months post spinal fusion, so I knew the coasters were pretty much out of the question. Judging by how I feel now, I'd say I underestimated the effect significantly.

This is a special trip, with both my granddaughters and their moms. We've all been numerous times, but never in this configuration. I'm a DVC owner and we're staying at BWV, so walking or boating to Epcot- HS will be easy.

Buses to MK are always a nightmare, both in the morning and at night, and it can be a rough ride, if the bus is full and the aisles are also full. I thought, so we'll Uber-- but they're no longer allowing drivers to drop you off by the walkway. AK buses are a long ride. Watching the fireworks at MK is always a nightmare, so I thought, well the dessert party, maybe. Then I saw the prices have practically doubled! So-no.

I've thought about an ECV--I've rented them in the past, but I couldn't do it one-handed. I don't want anyone to have to push me around in a wheelchair. At this point, I'm just looking for suggestions of any type-- we've planned this trip for so long, both girls are in high school and I'm so bummed at having to do a downsized trip because I'm a klutz.
I'm also terrified of getting bumped into or knocked over. Anyone gone in a similar situation and found anything that really helped? Avoiding crowds-- ha. Couldn't have picked a worse year! Two new fireworks shows and I hate to think I won't be able to see them with everyone.

Suggestions, anyone?

Getting hit head on by someone taking a photo of their cupcake is a horrible scenario for you, and it could happen.

You need some way to insulte you from the crowd. Not sure who is on this trip, but you could do this with the stroller. If you’re driving the stroller, you aren’t going to get knocked over. Heck, borrow a stroller and leave it empty. It’s not like they inspect them for kids.

you could do a split stay and move over to poly/VGF/BLT/WL. The boat/monorail will be easier. You can also take the BW bus to Epcot and then take the monorail to MK for less time on the bus. Maybe wouldn’t work for rope drop, but certainly works for coming home.

this much walking and jostling around is rough on anyone’s body. I’d think about renting a more high-end ECV locally. I recommend the Whill ci(2). Wherever they rent these locally, they will have many to choose from that you can drive with one hand. This is expensive and limits your transportation options, so you have to balance whether this is worth it for you.

I have not got with anyone with shoulder/arm injury, but when I have been with others with an injury of other types, I try to lead ahead of them so at least no one should be directly coming at them. Since there are at least 4 others, I would ask that one person always walk on the injury sided and one in front of you to help with people bumping into your. Maybe also consider renting a wheelchair. I have pushed one around WDW a few times so I know it is not always the best option, but you do not have to use it constantly. You could use it for a buffer for the fireworks and maybe if you do have to sit out a ride by yourself.

As for the drop off at TTC, it might mean you need to use the monorail/ferry, but it still might be less rough on you. You can always try for an ADR at one of the MK resorts and then be dropped off at that resort. It might make it an earlier morning if you want to be there at rope drop.

Not sure this will help you but...I've got multiple limitations, including not being able to use my wrists (fused, with plates and screws) and both shoulders due for reverse shoulder surgery. I've successfully been to Disney using an evc, from an outside vendor. I do not "control" the scooter, but rather my adult daughter (and sometimes teenage granddaughter) walk on the right side of the scooter and actually "drives" it. I ride as a cast member has called me "queen". i sit back and relax. Daughter says its better than pushing me in a wheelchair. She actually drives it through lines and up the ramps of the buses (sometimes walking backwards). This is something she has done for the last three tips, of ten days or more.

When I worry or discuss my being able to do myself. Both have responded with " we are creating some great memories". I hope you find something that works for you!!!

Thanks you all for the suggestions. I'm leaning toward getting a W/C for at least part of the time so I have a place to sit. The more I reevaluate what rides I'm actually going to be able to go on, the smaller the list becomes. And it's always a struggle to find a place to sit outside the rides. For MK fireworks, the W/C would definitely give me a buffer zone.

Just thinking about Epcot during F&W (which we love) is giving me a headache. I can see a W/C being a good solution there too, because seating is nearly impossible too. Getting a breakfast reservation at MK sounds like a possibility, though I've really let this go to the last minute. And unfortunately, MK is our first park on our first day, which means we also have to activate military tickets that day, which will take up time. We're getting late the night before(naturally) so I hate to tie up any morning time eating breakfast, but I suppose we have to eat somewhere!

Thanks you all for the suggestions. I'm leaning toward getting a W/C for at least part of the time so I have a place to sit. The more I reevaluate what rides I'm actually going to be able to go on, the smaller the list becomes. And it's always a struggle to find a place to sit outside the rides. For MK fireworks, the W/C would definitely give me a buffer zone.

Just thinking about Epcot during F&W (which we love) is giving me a headache. I can see a W/C being a good solution there too, because seating is nearly impossible too. Getting a breakfast reservation at MK sounds like a possibility, though I've really let this go to the last minute. And unfortunately, MK is our first park on our first day, which means we also have to activate military tickets that day, which will take up time. We're getting late the night before(naturally) so I hate to tie up any morning time eating breakfast, but I suppose we have to eat somewhere!

First of all, please let me say that I am SO sorry to hear about your arm - I think I did almost exactly the same thing you did a couple of years ago! (But I waited until this past New Years Eve to get my spinal fusion, so…)

The good news for you is that if you make it through your initial healing period ok, and don’t need surgery, you will most likely have a great outcome! I did - 3-½ years later, and it’s like it never happened to me. I was so worried about it at first (it’s kind of freaky when you see how broken it is, and they go “Well, go home in this sling, and don’t do anything with that arm for awhile! See you later!” LOL) but my doctors were really pleased with my outcome.

So, back to your problem.

First of all, you may want to go ahead and call some of the better-known/more well-respected rental vendors in Orlando, and *talk* to them on the phone, in person, about your situation. There are a few models of ECV that can be used one-handed; I’m honestly not up-to-date on who is carrying what model (I have my own personal mobility equipment due to other issues, so I haven’t rented from an Orlando vendor for years).

I do know (from personal experience as an owner) that the TravelScoot can be driven with either hand, although you would want to try and hold on to the other handlebar just for stability if nothing else. Possible issues with this device (or similar types of devices) might be things like the fact that there is not a lot of suspension to dampen out bumps and uneven pavement (for your back/spinal column, as well as your arm/shoulder) as well as you would need to drive carefully, since you would be braking with only one hand, on one side - you don’t want to inadvertently start spinning in circles as you are rolling down a hill! That’s *not* the kind of excitement we sign up for at WDW LOL.

Again, from personal experience as an owner, the Fold & Go also has the ability to have the joystick mounted on either side - this is actually fairly common with power chairs - but as our fearless leaders (@Sue M in MN and @lanejudy) will tell you, there *is* a learning curve to using a power chair, so don’t plan on just showing up at Disney World with a brand-new device (of any kind, really) and going to town.

A Rollator is kinda out of the question at the moment - although it gives you support while walking, and a seat when you need one - you will need the ability to put weight on both hands/handles to properly steer and brake.

A manual wheelchair might be your best solution for now (if you can’t find an ECV that will work for you) if you have someone to help you push. The average Guest walks between 3 & 10 mile per day at WDW, so just hopping into a manual chair and taking off doesn’t work because at the end of the day, the first-time user’s arms and shoulders will feel like limp noodles… and the next day they will be horribly sore. Typically, anyone you see using a manual chair at WDW to self-propel is an experienced, daily user of a manual chair.

If your arm/shoulder is up to it, and you are allowed some limited weight-bearing at the time of your trip, you could use a manual chair as a rollator when you wanted to walk a bit (important for our spinal fusion recovery) and then allow family members to push you the rest of the time.

No matter what mobility device you use, please remind your family members that it is a tool for your mobility and healing - it’s not meant to become a “pack mule” for your family’s stuff!

Remember that if you all are flying in, and you can find a chair - or scooter - to buy, borrow or rent at home that mobility equipment will fly for free on domestic flights in the US on every airline.

One last thing - about getting bumped. I *get it* - I was super nervous on my first trip back! This is when you will want your family to help make a “bubble” around you all the time. The Patent-Pending Mamabunny Bubble ™ is your new friend at WDW! How it works is super simple - it’s a lot like what our friend, @tobikaye suggested above. Have one family member in front, one in back, and one on either side if possible (not always possible at WDW; sometimes we have to move through single file, even in places like Epcot World Showcase) If you can only have a family member on one side, then pick the side that needs to be protected the most.

Be sure to work with your medical team prior to leaving - let them know what your plans are, and discuss what, if any rides might be appropriate for your level of healing. I didn’t return to WDW until further along in my healing process, but for the first year I avoided anything that might throw me against the side of a ride car - so no Toy Story Mania, no Swirling Saucers, no Teacups, no Safari at AK, etc. Especially given that you are healing from *2* procedures at once, your body is growing a *lot* of bone right now, so be sure to stay hydrated, and get lots of good sleep (never a problem for me at WDW - I sleep better there than anywhere else in the world!).

Just use every single tool at your disposal to have the best possible trip. 🙂

Last edited:
Wheelchair is the way to go. You will be protected by the crowds. You don't need to navigate; so, you can relax. You have four people wth you to help push. You will last longer in the parks, too. Usually, you can park a wheelchair with the strollers if you want to get out for whatever reasons. Consider alternating rides with shows; so, the pusher gets a break. With four people helping it might not matter. You can buy a lightweight portable wheelchair from home for $150 to $200 and if you are flying the wheelchair flies free. Get a seat cushion for the wheelchair.

Maybe, there's a brace that can support your humerus. I googled and there seems to be many to choose from in that regard. Check with your doctor and it may be covered by insurance.

Try to slow it down on this trip and enjoy each other more. I really hope you all stick together throughout your day.

I've thought about an ECV--I've rented them in the past, but I couldn't do it one-handed. I don't want anyone to have to push me around in a wheelchair. At this point, I'm just looking for suggestions of any type-- we've planned this trip for so long, both girls are in high school and I'm so bummed at having to do a downsized trip because I'm a klutz.
I'm also terrified of getting bumped into or knocked over. Anyone gone in a similar situation and found anything that really helped? Avoiding crowds-- ha. Couldn't have picked a worse year! Two new fireworks shows and I hate to think I won't be able to see them with everyone.

Suggestions, anyone?

I usually drive my rental ECV with one hand. The way the "tiller" is on the rental from Gold Mobility (Buena Vista also used to have the same design) you control the speed with your fingers and hold the steering at the same time. I usually switch off hands (carpel tunnel and one falls asleep sometimes). I don't see why you couldn't operate the scooter in the parks. You may need assistance parking it on the bus. You could rent off-site (like from Gold) and perhaps talk to them about if you try the ECV and cannot do it they'd switch it out for a WC. It's cheaper to rent off-site and you'd have it for your entire trip.

I've ridden in a WC before and that would also work for you but it takes away all of your independence if you want to use it to be on your own. I also found it ... for lack of a better word ... very anxiety producing to be pushed in a WC. I always felt like I was going to hit someone or be hit. Your grandkids - if they are old enough - may actually find it a hoot to push you in a WC so...you never known lol! I don't know if you have any mobility or stamina issues that an ECV or WC would help with but I can see that using one or the other would help with boarding the bus and in the parks for insulating you from the crowds, a place to rest, etc.

Because of a brain injury I can have a bad time in crowds of people that are walking around me (like shopping). I get off balance...it's hard to explain but I will stumble and perhaps fall. (I do NOT have this experience in crowds operating an ECV however...maybe because I'm seated and very stable?). I find myself holding on to store shelves for example. A couple of thoughts - one is perhaps carry a cane? I may do this for my next trip. I don't need it usually to walk but standing up and walking in crowds it may help steady me - but also keep a bit of a buffer. I think people give a wider berth to someone with a cane. On the other hand, being seated in the ECV or WC would keep someone from knocking you over and is the safest route. I love shopping at WDW so I try to hit the shops earlier in the day when few are shopping (lockers can store anything major you purchase)...especially if you want to take the ECV or WC in with you.

Also remember you can park the ECV/WC and walk whenever you want - and come back for it (or send a family member).

The only advice I can add to that above is that if you are taking any kind of pain medication, it’s helpful to stay on a schedule instead of waiting for the pain to happen before taking it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter