Broken foot-help me change my trip around!

ADisneyQueen

DIS Veteran
I broke a bone in my foot on 4/24 and just had surgery on it yesterday. Dr. says I will be in a plaster cast for 6 weeks and then a boot. Our trip is 6/23, about a week after the cast comes off, hopefully. We had planned on spending 7 nights at Carribean beach with the dining plan, then 2 nights at Buena vista suites while we go to Sea World. We would arrive on a Tues. night, go to MK Weds. and then pick up a car on Thurs. for the rest of the trip. We are not planning to go to parks everyday, we will also have a break day, Typhoon Lagoon and Disney quest. We are buying non expiring tickets to use later.
Do you think this will be too much walking for me? Should I bring my rolleraid or rent an EVC? We have also thought about renting a house with a pool and not doing as much in case Carribean beach is too spread out? We already bought our air tickets and I hate to cancel b/c I really want to go on a trip since I am already going crazy being so housebound. I would appreciate any suggestions or stories about your trips.

I would definately bring the rollater and highly consider using an ECV.
When the cast comes off, those muscles are going to have some atrophy from not being used. They will be weak and tire faster. You may be OK one day, but the next you will probably pay the price.

If you need to rent an ECV, post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has information about that

I too really recommend an ECV!!! I would rent one from off site.

You might get a surprise when the cast comes off and the Dr tells you you still can't bear full weight on it right away. I broke my foot and had surgery too and that was what my Dr told me. It is now a year later and I am still not able to walk fully to the distances I did before. The foot just can't handle it yet.

Get the EVC! Instead of the rollalator I would bring regular crutches. They would be of more use for you for rides and other places that you only have to walk a short way. You can also get ECV's that have crutch holders from outside sources.

How do you think I will do swimming or just walking around in the water? Would a wave pool be too much?

I wouldn't even think of trying to use a rolleraid with all the walking involved in doing Disney. Rent an ECV off site will cost less if you have a way to take it back and forth. If you are staying at CB no problem the buses work fine. If you end up off site you need to make sure rental car has room for it

Since you're not really putting weight on it when swimming, that would probably be fine (it's used for physical therapy all the time), but I'd probably skip the wave pool if it's crowded. The last thing you want is someone smashing into your foot.

I would also be careful in things like jacuzzi's. Those are hotter on that tender skin than you think. Check with your Dr though to be sure it is ok. The water would be good on the foot though I think. Just be careful.

I think a hot tub in 90 degree temps would be to hot for me anyway.
We're looking into a pool home to rent. Maybe that would be good water therapy for my foot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter