Broken Foot

Johnfish

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I posted this in the attractions forum and then realized it might be better asked here. (sorry about the double posting).

With all the problems at home and worries about making this trip great I now have a new one.

My son has broken his foot less than 2 weeks before we leave

Fortunately its not a serious break and will require at the most a slip on walking cast. We still have to see the orthopedist next week but his regular Dr said it would not require a plaster cast and maybe no cast at all (keeping my fingers crossed). Hopefully this will not limit what we can do at the parks.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone out there who has had any experience with this at the parks.

(and a little pixie dust couldn't hurt also)

If he has a walking cast should we request a GAC? Will I also be allowed to get on with him at the same entrance?

Thanks,

John

First of all, welcome to disABILTIES.

A couple of important questions which will help us help you. How old is he and also what is his size and wright.

With the amount of walking involved, he might actually need a wheelchair. I would suggest you tell him you will be going to WDW and ask his advice.

Depending on his age and size, a stroller could be used instead of a wheelchair. In that event you would need to get a GAC which would allow the stroller to be used as a wheelchair. If he is too big for a stroller, one of the off-site companies would be best for wheelchair rental, as you could be sure to get one of the proper size and also with the ability to keep a leg lifted if necessary.

As far as getting a GAC for other use, that is not done. The GAC is generally for "invisible" disabilities. It does cover the disabled individual and the rest of the group, but a maximum of six people. One thing it is NOYT designed to do and that is to allow people to bypass lines.

A last suggestion is have the person who puts the cast on draw a line with a marker where it will be sawn off. Then bring a "Sharpie" type marker pen with you and have the Characters sign the cast. Warn them when signing to not cross the line. After the cast is removed he will have an interesting souvenier.

Thanks for the quick reply.

According to the Dr. my son (15.5 yo) will be in a walking cast and will not need a wheel chair. I have yet to see the orthopedist but his nurse said he sould be able to get around fine. My hope is no wc will be needed so we will probably be able to wait in the normal lines.

In the event that he needs a wc will he need any special card or is the wc enough?

Thanks again for your help!!

John

Even though he wouldn't normally need a wheelchair it seems the walking required at WDW could be a bit much! I've not had a broken foot but did have a very bad ankle sprain last summer (after our trip thankfully!) and I couldn't have handled all of the walking we did in our August trip. Of course I'm not 15 anymore! LOL!

If he does use a wheelchair for part of the time I believe that you do not need a GAC to use the accommodations that are made for wheelchairs but someone else can give you a better answer on that.

Will the cast limit his ability to get into any of the rides? Just wondering if that is a concern. I don't see how I could have ridden something like Splash Mountain because of climbing down into that slippery log - or better yet have gotten out!

Wishing the best for your vacation!

You will *not* need a GAC based on the information posted here. As Cheshire Figment indicated, the GAC is only for invisible disabilities (i.e., something that needs accommodation that the CM cannot see). An example would be photosensitivity. The GAC for this allows the guest to wait in a shaded area. It is obvious that a wc user needs to use wc entrances so there is no need for a GAC for that. The GAC does not allow the guest to bypass lines, it simply alerts the CM to the guest's needs.

It sounds like the original poster's son will be fine renting a wc from the park if necessary. He's likely going to use it sporadically if long distances or standing turn out the be a problem, and he is young and otherwise healthy, so some time with a mesh sling style wc that may not be in the best shape will be no big deal. He can also rent a WDW wc and then park it with strollers if he doesn't want to take it into an attraction, shop, restaurant, etc. Just bc he has it does not mean he has to stay in it 100% of the time.

Note, however, that should you anticipate needing a wc with the leg elevating attachment, rent offiste as I would not count on getting it at WDW.

Also, I had a walking cast at one point and would not have wanted to walk tons in it as it was heavy. I don't know if his is the same. I don't foresee any issues boarding attractions as he is weight bearing and in otherwise good shape.

:wave: Cupcake

Thanks again for the replys.

I just talked with the orthopedist nurse and she said IF he needs a cast they can make it waterproof!!

This is great news as they said he could use the pool at the resort and attend the water parks. Matt was really upset when he thought he might not be able to do TL or BB!

I will know more on tueday after his appointment. Hopefully he wont need a cast at all.

John

Because of his age and that he is able to walk on it, you should be able to rent a wheelchair in the parks. I would still siuggest taking the off-site rental information with you (there is a FAQ at the top of this forum with the information).
His doctor may not realize how much walking/standing may be required at WDW. Just the distance around WS is Epcot is about 1.3 miles and people estimate they walk between 3 and 8 miles per day.
Fastpass will help you to limit the amount of time waiting in line. If he does get a wheelchair, you will not need a GAC to use the wheelchair accessible entrances. In most cases, the lines are wheelchair accessible, so there are few "special lines" for wheelchairs.

Good News!!!

The orthopedist said my son only broke a small bone leading to the small toe. He will only need to were a removalbe splint on his ankle to prevent his foot from twisting. Its watter proof and he will be able to walk with no problem. Matthew said his foot feels better each day and is getting around just fine!

Thanks for all the advice.

John

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter