Broken toe . . . any ideas

Mrs Dazzle

<font color=009900>Florida-mad (well, mad full sto
Last weekend I broke one of my toes. Now, I have another 2 weeks before we travel over to the US so I'm hoping really hard that it gets better really quick (I tell you, if I could - and pardon the pun - I'd kick myself for doing it this close to our holiday:( ).

I really don't want to have to use a wheelchair unless I have to - for one I needed to do this a couple of times last year due to plantar fasciitis on my foot:rolleyes: and secondly I always fear the more "genuine" people will feel I am taking the mickey.

Has anyone else been with a mending toe? Any suggestions or ideas really would help make me feel I can really REALLY look forward to our holidays we've waited so long for:D

You may be better off renting an ECV, as pushing a wheelchair can get very tiresome, especially if you are not used to it. There are acutally hills at WDW that mopst people don't notice when walking. Also it depends on the weight of the passenger and the condition of the pusher(s). Some information for off-site rentals are:

Here are the urls and phone numbers:

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

If you are in a cast, you might want to have the person who puts it on you draw a line with a marker where it will be sawn off. Then bring a "Sharpie" type marker pen with you and have the Characters sign the cast. Warn them when signing to not cross the line. After the cast is removed you will have an interesting souvenier.

As far as people not in your group making comments, don't let it worry you. You know you need the assistance, and the people with you know you need the assistance. Having a WC or ECV will make the trip better for you and your group. If someone does say anything, you can (sweetly) reply that you would be willing to let them use your WC or ECV if they will also take your disabilities and let you walk, run, and do anything else you want.

I agree with Cheshire Figment about renting an ECV - you are one of the genuine guests who should rent an ECV or a wheelchair. Renting an ECV will give you & the others with you peace of mind. You will have your independence & can hopefully protect your foot/feet a little bit. I have rented a few times from Walker & have had very good service. Their ECV battery lasts a lot longer than the Disney ECVs plus you will have it anywhere else you go. Enjoy your holiday!

I actually just got back 3 weeks ago with a VERY broken toe. I was in an orthopedic shoe and did limit my walking more than previous trips. I was there for 6 days and did ok walking around with frequesnt stops in MK and only did 1/2 of AK so was ok there. But for MGM and EPCOT I did rent an ECV for the day. The distance to get around the parks was just WAY too big for me to even think about trying to do the parks without one.

I seem to get hurt right before my trips and had a sprained back 2 years ago and rented an ecv from offsite. I can tell you honestly even though I was in much less pain this time, because I had my special shoe on I didn't get nearly the looks I did 2 years ago. I know we shouldn't care but it did bother me to be honest.

But PLEASE get an ecv!!! I tried a courtesy wheelchair in one of the parking lots and got all of 100 feet before my arms felt like they were going to explode ;) I was much better off hobbling than pushing myself in a wheelchair.

Just go and have a good time. It may be a slightly different trip because of your injury but you will still have LOTS of fun!

I agree. Don't worry about what people might say or think.
There are people who will think they have a right to judge everyone. We have overheard people saying our DD must be "cheating" when they saw her sitting on a bench next to her wheelchair. They based their "assessment" of her needs on the fact that she was sitting on a bench, with her legs crossed, swinging her foot. What they didn't see and didn't know is that my DD had to be lifted from her wheelchair onto the bench and I even had to lift her right leg and place it over her left before she could swing it.
So, in my book, anyone who wants to judge someone's needs based on a tiny little glimpse into their life is an idiot. Many of the people who are judging are assuming there are some great and wonderful perks for using a wheelchair or ecv. Well, pretty much the only perk is having somewhere to sit while you wait with everyone else. Plus, pushing yourself or someone else in a wheelchair is hard work!
(Off soapbox)

Anyway, you will be more comfortable using an ecv, especially for those big parks. Keep in mind that just the distance around WS in Epcot is over a mile:earseek:
Hope you have a great time and no one bumps your toe.:moped:

Thanks for your views, everyone.

Check up today didn't go as well as I'd hoped:(. I have a "spiral fracture", which means I can't do too much walking for the next couple of weeks, so will be seriously considering a wheelchair or ECV Ah well, at least I'm getting to go to WDW :earseek:

Thanks again for your kind advices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter