Broken Wrist

Husker Mike

DIS Veteran
We're going on the Fantasy in three weeks for our first cruise. (6th reservation, thanks to COVID and several other assorted maladies) And our plans hit a bump last week when my son broke his wrist at scout camp. Just got back from the orthopedic doctors, who put him in a cast and said they plan to remove the cast and give him a removable brace the day before we fly to Orlando. (Yay!) So beach and pool should be good. And a post-trip DisneyWorld trip as well.

But what about the AquaDuck? Is the brace an issue there?

Here is a sign, posted on Cruise Critic last month:

IMG_4236.jpeg

Looks like no metal

and no loose articles.

Nothing posted should stop him as long as it’s Velcro and nylon/ plastic.

We're going on the Fantasy in three weeks for our first cruise. (6th reservation, thanks to COVID and several other assorted maladies) And our plans hit a bump last week when my son broke his wrist at scout camp. Just got back from the orthopedic doctors, who put him in a cast and said they plan to remove the cast and give him a removable brace the day before we fly to Orlando. (Yay!) So beach and pool should be good. And a post-trip DisneyWorld trip as well.

But what about the AquaDuck? Is the brace an issue there?

Not to be a buzzkill, but I can totally see DCL thinking about its liability if your son re-injures his wrist while on the slide.

This is one of those situations where I’d reach out to DCL directly and get info straight from the source. If the CM at the top of the slide tells your son that he can’t ride, it’s not like you can reply with, “But people on the DIS Boards told me…..”

Also bear in mind that there is some clambering to get out of the AquaDuck at the bottom. Watch some videos that take you all the way to the end. Not sure if your son’s wrist can handle climbing out of the retention pool, even with the brace.

Arrgh! At least the cast will be gone for the trip. Ask the doctor about removing the brace for the ride? They might say yes or no. Worth a try. I broke my wrist once- not much fun. Hope he feels better soon!

Just remove the brace for the ride. He will be fine as long as he holds on to the handles.

I'd imagine he wouldn't wear the brace to swim anyway. The water will ruin it. I'd bring along some ACE bandage to wrap his wrist with for swimming, specifically. You can rinse that out and dry it fully between uses.

Just remove the brace for the ride. He will be fine as long as he holds on to the handles.

I'd imagine he wouldn't wear the brace to swim anyway. The water will ruin it. I'd bring along some ACE bandage to wrap his wrist with for swimming, specifically. You can rinse that out and dry it fully between uses.
I broke my wrist once. "Simple" fracture. There's no way I would have been able to hold onto anything as firmly as you need to on Aquaduck that soon afterwards.

I broke my wrist once. "Simple" fracture. There's no way I would have been able to hold onto anything as firmly as you need to on Aquaduck that soon afterwards.

Kids don't need to hold on THAT firmly. As long as one hand is holding tight, it will be enough.

Mom of four, with a total of nine broken bones over the years. If doc is happy enough with how the wrist is healing to remove the hard cast, your son should be fine to do whatever activities he wants with the brace. (He should be able to remove it to shower too!) My DS is currently in a brace for a wrist fracture and the doc even told me to order an inexpensive “back up” brace on Amazon to useful swimming so his primary one isn’t wet all day. I really can’t see CM having a problem with it on the Aquaduck.

FWIW, my DS also had a short splint on during a trip to WDW and no one said a thing about it on any of the rides. I’m sure it’s probably different for a hard cast or a longer splint, but a short one should be fine!

My son had a similar issue on multiple cruises. One time he couldn't get his foot wet after an injury and put a waterproof cover in and it wasn't an issue on the aquaduck. Another time he had a brace on his wrist. Also not an issue with the aquaduck. Seemed like they were used to it.

My DS is currently in a brace for a wrist fracture and the doc even told me to order an inexpensive “back up” brace on Amazon to useful swimming so his primary one isn’t wet all day. I really can’t see CM having a problem with it on the Aquaduck.
The doctor recommended buying another brace as the wrist was being set in a cast. Mostly because we'll have under 24 hours between the time the cast is removed and we're on a plane to Orlando. I just ordered one from Target and will be looking for a second spare. I'm thinking a good one to wear, one for the beach and another from the beach the day before for drying...

My son has broken both of his wrists separately since January and is a competitive swimmer. His second break was pretty mild and the doctor put him straight into a waterproof brace. He was supposed to take it off after swimming to let it dry and move his wrist around a bit. The first break he also eventually had a waterproof brace but that was after surgery, pins, cast and finally the brace. Both of the waterproof options were a hard plastic- but the mild one was much easier to manage. Since you’re getting into it in three weeks…. Im going to go on a limb and say that’s what you’ll be getting.

My son raced the 200 yard butterfly (and other stuff) at the state meet a week after getting into the brace after the bad break. The Dr gave us the okay to remove it to race.

I have no idea if DCL will allow it, but neither of ours were metal. I’d ask doctor if they won’t allow it, can he remove it to ride- especially if you save it for the last sea day.

eta- oh! Getting out of the pool was a bit rough but he put his forearm on the gutter and hoisted himself out that way.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter