Brown Derby and a picky son

WDWCrazzyCunninghams

I Loooooove Orange! Pink
We were going to go to Sci-Fi, but after reading many reviews, we chose to change our choice. I didn't check the menu before making the PS, and now I wonder if I have made a mistake! Connor is VERY picky! He won't eat ANYTHING that is listed on the Brown Derby menu! My question is...do you think they might make him something special? He'll eat cheeseburgers or plain noodles or chicken nuggets. I know they have a grilled chicken breast, but he won't touch it. Do you think they could do plain noodles or a PB&J? We are doing this with the Fantasmic Package. OR do you think it would be okay to get something from elsewhere in the park and bring it in and just order a drink and dessert? Could he not pay for the Fantasmic meal then and still go in with us to see the show?
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer! :wave:

Their kids menu isn't too bad-they have hot dogs and fries and mac and cheese. You don't say how old your DS is? Mine is 16 and you have never seen such a picky eater!! but he will eat the HBD Filet mignon with fries as long as there is nothing else on the plate (no garnishes-no veggies etc.) and a caesar salad. They are very accomodating.

Sorry, he is 7 and won't eat Mickaroni and Cheese, won't eat a hotdog, won't eat the Mickey Noodle soup, won't eat chicken breast, won't eat the fish...I am stuck here! I am not sure I could get him to eat steak...although he HAS had it. Somedays he chooses to be pickier then others! Maybe that would be an option for us...I could get the filet, then he could order the chicken, then we can share both meats. He getting most of my steak and I, the chicken. Thanks for getting me thinking and Thanks for answering! Any other ideas?

I remember my niece eating the mac & cheese there a few years ago. But if they have the noodles, I'm sure they'd hold the cheese if you asked. Our experiences at the Derby have always been that the CMs were very, very accomodating. And you could always stop by the restaurant earlier in the day and ask if making naked noodles is a problem. If they say yes, then you'd have the rest of the day to arrange Plan B...
Good luck,
Q
:drinking1

i think some have mentioned allergies when making a ps and it has been noted on the ps...if you don't mind calling again i might do that or ask what they recommend...since it is with the fantamic package if you take something else in won't you be paying for nothing( thought you had to pay for themeal to get the seat)? i don't know if they could make "naked noodles" on the spur if they make mac and cheese since it could be pre-prepared...not like spaghetti where the sauce is put on top... but maybe with some notice they could. my nephew was like that, loved clam chowder but that was about "all" he'd eat ( not the most popular dish in the universe) and heaven forbid they put parsley on top:scared1: !

I would call ahead too! Don't you have to cancel 48 hours in advance for a FDP or they will charge your credit card?

thank you all for answering. I think we are just going to fly by a wing and a prayer. We will go in, see what they can muster up for us, and if he won't eat anything, we'll buy him something when we leave. I hate to waste money like that, but it won't be the first or the last time with him. If anything, he can get something for during Fantasmic.
Thanks again. I just thought maybe someone had been in this situation before would have a definite answer for me. I still may give them a call.
Have a Zip a dee do dah! Zip a dee Day! :wave:

I don't mean to sound insensitive but is he allergic to this stuff, or does he just not like the taste? I mean, you can learn to like the taste of certain things over time.. I don't see how you can rule out a grilled chicken breast in favor of deep fried chicken nuggets. The first is much more healthy, too. :confused:

I was just always told, "If you don't eat what we have, you go without.".. Some times I did go without. Some times I tried it, and believe it or not, many times I enjoyed it. You're MUCH MUCH more forgiving then my parents were.

I guess I'm one of those forgiving parents (my parents were not)
I have found in most of the WDW restaurants, they will try to get it for you. I have gotten PBJ, Mac and Cheese, and plain or butter noodles when not listed on the menu. YC Steakhouse brought out cheese sauce and marinara sauce in gravy boats because DS6 did not know whether he would care for either.:)

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

It has been my experience that anywhere in WDW you can get PB&J, even if not listed on the menu anywhere.

That said, it has also been my experience that if my dd is going to experiment with a new dish, or heaven forbid a mix of foods (eg. likes cheese, likes bacon, but put them together on something and there is an issue) it is going to be at WDW. You will be fine, enjoy!!

Thanks again! He is not allergic to ANYTHING. He is just WAY too picky! I think a lot of it has to do with texture. There are somethings he just won't eat. I can't do the "you'll go with out", although I wish I could! I REALLLLLLLY believe that he gets low blood sugar...although I have never had it tested. He becomes the meanest, nastiest, most rotten boy on the face of the Earth if he does not eat every few hours. I don't want to have to deal with that while I am in the most magical place on Earth. I am more forgiving then my parents were too. I guess it's because they weren't. Someday, he will see what he has been missing and all will be right. Our older son, he'll eat "just" about anything....now. As I have heard before, this too shall pass!
I guess I'll gear him up that day for The Brown Derby and what we plan on having.
Thanks again everyone!

How about grabbing him some thing to eat before hand-and then just order a drink and dessert at HBD-I honestly don't think they will mind him not having a meal there (what are they going to do-exclude him from the Fantasmic pass?)

My DS is 8 and lives on spaghetti and chicken fingers. We are slowly adding new foods (maybe one or two a year), but it can be a royal pain when trying new restaurants. We tried the "You can eat what we are having or go hungry" strategy and he didn't eat for two days!!!

I have resigned myself to checking out the menus on allearsnet.com and eating only at restaurants that serve something he likes. Really, in WDW there are so many choices that I have never felt cheated. It's just not worth it to me to see him "suffer" on a vacation that is supposed to be magical.

Have a great time!

princess: pirate: ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Look up how a feeding tube is administered on the net and show him that. Tell him that's what happens after 3 days of not eating. :eek:

Originally posted by StuartMI
Look up how a feeding tube is administered on the net and show him that. Tell him that's what happens after 3 days of not eating. :eek:

:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

Not very nice.

MOMRULES...I think that might really be our best bet. I might call ahead just to be sure they won't have a problem with me bringing in something. If it is purchased within the park, I don't see why it would be a problem.

PSU1978...thank you for your understanding! It DOES make life more diffecult! I have looked at all the menus at MGM. We have ALWAYS done Hollywood and Vine, but thought we would go elsewhere. Since we really wanted to do the Fantasmic package, and are eating at Alfredo's later in the week and not wanting pasta twice, we chose the HBD. We will muster through!

Not to worry-my DS is 17 now and eats alot more now than what he used to-he wouldn't even touch PB&J at one time-still has a problem with garnishes (parsley etc) and veggies on his plate, still only eats plain pasta with grated parmesan-NO sauce.
Funny though......he'll eat any kind of dessert...hummmm....

I am a adult woman is a picky eater. I have look at alot food places that I won't even tried because they have nothing on the menu that I won't to eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter