Brown Derby

yeartolate

My toaster can pop more toast per hour than your t
Color me non plussed.

What I had a tough time getting past was the lousy waiter. During our stay, we were reminded by him (in a snobby tone) that DDP was two credits (at least three times he told us) and he was emphatic that wine did not come witht he plan (well duh, it is not grape juice, ok?) He corrected me on my prononciation of a wine in a sarcstic tone (I cannot even begin to think what he thought of my pairing!!!) The couple in the booth beside us recieved proper treatment and he was respectful of them - possibly they appeared affluent and we appeared like bedraggled park trash?

The crab cake was so so and we both had filet mignon that was overdone (we asked for medium - there was no pink anywhere). We took our desserts to go as I did not want to be treated like that anymore. I cannot think of one time I have not left a good tip beyond what DDP pays, and my only regret is that DDP prepays. I know this sounds silly, but I would not have noticed the so so food if the waiter was pleasant.

I think his name is on the reciept and I may make a first time every nastygram to WDW.....at the same time I will send a fluffygram about our waiter at Cora Reef.

UGH...I was wanting to try the Brown Derby on our next trip. Sorry to hear you didn't have a very good experience there. I can't imagine why the waiter felt the need to treat you that way....we have had those type waiters before but not at WDW. I know what you mean about a bad server ruining the dining experience ...I totally agree. Glad you liked the Coral Reef..we haven't been there either but it is on our to do list :goodvibes

I wouldn't count it out. My totally awful experience was based one one crappy waiter. If I hadn't been sick for most of my 10 day visit, I would have started by giving him a piece of my mind and/or spoken to the manager - but at that point I lacked the energy and the will.

I am pretty sure he put our steak order in wrong. Filet deserves to be AT LEAST slightly pink in the center...As for the crab cakes.....I have yet to find a place that does crab cakes as good as I make them ;) , so I may be too picky.

Thanks for sharing your review, sorry to hear about the terrible service. :(

I also think that a bad server affects the dining experience, and then food can't be enjoyed as much. I just ate at Brown Derby two weeks ago, and had a pleasant time. I had the ahi tuna steak, and requested it medium, and that is how it was cooked. So it was probably the server, with your steaks. I always say the only way to ruin a steak is to overcook it.

Ahhh... I just posted a thread on any comments for the Brown Derby. I was hoping not to hear reviews like this. Oh darn. My friend and I wanted to try this prior to the Fantasmic package. We'll be on the dining plan. Now I'm not so sure if we should go through with this original plan. Thanks though!

Ahhh... I just posted a thread on any comments for the Brown Derby. I was hoping not to hear reviews like this. Oh darn. My friend and I wanted to try this prior to the Fantasmic package. We'll be on the dining plan. Now I'm not so sure if we should go through with this original plan. Thanks though!
I replied to your other thread. While I think Brown Derby is pretty good overall, I don't think it's worth 2 TS credits. Do your Fantasmic package at Mama Melrosa's (not as nice as Brown Derby, but not that much worse) and save your 2 TS dining experience for someplace like California Grill or Narcoossee's.

Remember, there are dozens of waiters....I just got one that had a real chip on his shoulder.

I too had a crappy waiter last year at the BD - perhaps the same one:sad2:

He told us that because we were on the DP we couldn't have the Fantasmic package - even though I knew we could.... At any rate another waitress came up and took over from him - she was wonderful and we had no problems from that point forward :upsidedow

The food and atmosphere were all wonderful - my kids enjoyed that restaurant the most, they have expensive tastes - lucky me :rolleyes:

My DF and I ate at the Hollywood Brown Derby on our first night at MGM, and it was wonderful! We didn't have an AD, but were able to get right in. We sat outside and had a wonderful waitress. Both of us had the Grilled Atlantic Salmon and raved about it the whole vacation. The waitress also let me sample the wine before choosing to get a glass. I would highly recommend eating there, and try the salmon!:thumbsup2

My DF and I ate at the BD last week without an AD, and LOVED it! We were seated outside, and were able to enjoy the atmosphere of a beautiful December night. Our waitress was great and let me sample the wine prior to choosing to get a glass. Both my DF and I had the Grilled Atlantic Salmon, and then split the Tiramasu dessert. We raved about the food and the resturant the entire vacation and agreed that it was the best salmon we've ever eaten. So if you're still skeptical about going to eat there, I would DEFINITELY recommend it. And, if you're not sure, do the spur of the moment thing like we did, get there prior to 4:30, and you should get seated right away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter