BS question

pumba

DIS PUMBARIZER
I did ask my diabetes educator last month about going to Disney and eating????? I mean I want to stay in control but I want to have some good meals too. SO this is question one from me.......If I eat at Le Cellier and have the pretzel bread and the prime rib dinner......total carbs would be for the bread and potato if any......but my BS would go down from the walking thru the parks...I estimate we always walk 7-10 miles a day going and going and going......so I am assuming that I could get away with eating two good pieces of that pretzel bread and say Thank goodness they dont' make that here in Maine. ALSO......I asked her about this walking and would my bs go to low from breakfast till lunch time........I dont' need a snack to often in the morning here at home but my BS would go low in the parks......so what snack would get me up fast. I really do not like peanut butter crackers to eat but I guess I could carry those in a fix..thanks for any ideas..
I did ask a month or so ago......the resorts and parks use Splenda for a sugar sub??????
I have packed 4-C raspberry ice tea packets.......enough for one bottle of water to make them.....these are really good and no carbs at all and taste like the real mccoy....they have splenda in them too.

Are you T1 or T2? If T1, are you doing shots or pumping? We were told by the endo that if you're pumping, lower your basal rate during the day, but not at night. Then give normal amount of insulin for food. If you are doing shots, take into consideration how much fat you are eating w/ the bread. It will slow down the effect of the carbs. You might also want to have a little dessert, it should help to keep your numbers from dropping. As far as snacks go: dried fruit & juice, jello. PButter crackers have fat,so it will take longer to raise BG. We found that gummies don't help raise sugar very quick, not sure why.

I am type 2 and as of this moment in time.......no meds ....I am trying very hard to keep the A1C level good and at the right place so I won't have to take meds yet. So far I am doing pretty good. Disney is another World Away as you all know.

My son is type 1 and only 4 yrs old so what I say may not apply to you! However....

Can your blood sugar go too low as a type 2 if you are not on any meds (pills or insulin)? I thought a type 2 person could not have a low unless they were on medication - like insulin. However, a fast-acting sugar like a glucose tab or juice will bring it back up quickly. How many carbs of that you need to take is something your doctor would help you figure out depending on how low you are and your target BS. A snack like peanut butter and crackers works better to keep you BS up and even - it is not the type of snack to eat if you are truly LOW - the effect it has on your blood sugar is too slow for most.

The parks use all types of sugar substitutes as sweeteners. Splenda is used some places but we've also encountered plenty of aspartame, sorbitol/manitol, etc. If you have sensitivities to artificial sweetners you might note that on any ADR's that you make. I know that (personally) I don't handle sorbitol/manitol very well - eating too much is a problem for many in that it gives them diarreha. Also note that something made with a sugar substitute like baked good can have almost as many carbs as something made with sugar.

That being said I'm pretty sure they are now selling a sugar-free brownie at the main street bake shop (which I think is pre-packaged and lists the carbs but I'm not sure). There are also in many of the ice cream carts a sugar-free strawberry bar that is pretty low in carbs (I had one last trip just for the heck of it - my diabetic son hates them though!). I think that Village Haus restaurant in Fantasyland has sugar-free jello but not sure. There is diet coke everywhere you go and sometimes you can find the sugar-free "light" lemonade at the carts and a few counter service spots.

I would think that with all the walking you would be able to eat some more carbs than usual but the best way to see how it works for you is to test yourself often and see how the BS is doing. Note the diabetes on your ADR's and the chefs are usually very helpful in arranging for a special dessert or more veggies on your plate, etc.

Have a great trip! :goodvibes

Pumba- I'm sorry I don't know more about T2. So ignore everything I said. :rotfl2: Dried fruit is very high in carbs, so not sure if it would be good for you or not. Do you have a certain # of total carbs you are supposed to eat at every meal or are you just supposed to limit the amount of carbs you eat? I wish I could be better help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter