budget Cozumel activity?

mtquinn

DIS Veteran
Looking for a very budget way to experience Cozumel. When we were on our last cruise, we took a cab to a nearby beach and it was great.

Can anyone recommend this, or something like it? The prices for the excursions are too much for us, though they look fabulous.

Thanks!

Probably one of the cheaper beaches to reach by cab is Paradise Beach.

Its $3 to enter.

We loved Paradise Beach when we were there earlier this month and couldn't believe how cheap it was. A cab for 6 people was $32 each way. Entrance and wristband/chair rental was $3 per person and they request that you spend $10 per person on food/drinks. You can also optionally pay $15 more for a 2nd wristband that lets you do the water activities. The included water activities in the ocean are 8-10 big inflatable climbing/sliding things, 2 water trampolines and a jumping pillow, plus kayaks and stand up paddleboards. There is also a nice pool where music is playing. The pool was large with several different shallow shelves for chairs to be in the water or small children to play (with hands on supervision - no barrier from the deeper part and no lifeguards at the pool that I saw) and the main part was about 4' deep. No deep area or diving board.

You don't mention the ages of your group. I don't think there was much for little kids to do, unless they like playing in the sand and shallow water, but my teens had an absolute blast! Hubby and I also did the water activities. The grandparents didn't but they enjoyed laying out, ordering drinks and nachos.

We loved Paradise Beach when we were there earlier this month and couldn't believe how cheap it was. A cab for 6 people was $32 each way. Entrance and wristband/chair rental was $3 per person and they request that you spend $10 per person on food/drinks. You can also optionally pay $15 more for a 2nd wristband that lets you do the water activities. The included water activities in the ocean are 8-10 big inflatable climbing/sliding things, 2 water trampolines and a jumping pillow, plus kayaks and stand up paddleboards. There is also a nice pool where music is playing. The pool was large with several different shallow shelves for chairs to be in the water or small children to play (with hands on supervision - no barrier from the deeper part and no lifeguards at the pool that I saw) and the main part was about 4' deep. No deep area or diving board.

You don't mention the ages of your group. I don't think there was much for little kids to do, unless they like playing in the sand and shallow water, but my teens had an absolute blast! Hubby and I also did the water activities. The grandparents didn't but they enjoyed laying out, ordering drinks and nachos.

This sounds interesting. Is it through DCL or do I just go privately?

kaokaochocolatefactorytour We did this last August. $10 per person (plus taxi $15 one way). Our kids 19, 16, 13 really liked it, especially when they made their own chocolate and got to taste a lot of samples. It gets 5 stars on Trip Advisor.

-------

This sounds fantastic. How did you get to and from the factory? If you took a taxi, how hard is it to get a taxi when you a ways away from the dock?

I agree with Paradise Beach... We've been there twice and will go back there the next time we make port in Cozumel...

For the 4 of you, figure $30-$40 R/T for a cab (they are listed on the board at the taxi stand at the pier and have taxis standing by onsite to take you back to the pier), $12 entry fee, $40 F&B and $30-$60 for the water toys (depending on how many indulge). The $10 F&B minimum is more of a request that it is a requirement, but if you have lunch there and an adult beverage or two and you'll easily cover that. It's clean, the food is good and you get an assigned lounger either on the beach or at the pool for your $3...

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

Check it out... And don't forget to try the Volcano Nachos!!!

I agree with Paradise Beach... We've been there twice and will go back there the next time we make port in Cozumel...

For the 4 of you, figure $30-$40 R/T for a cab (they are listed on the board at the taxi stand at the pier and have taxis standing by onsite to take you back to the pier), $12 entry fee, $40 F&B and $30-$60 for the water toys (depending on how many indulge). The $10 F&B minimum is more of a request that it is a requirement, but if you have lunch there and an adult beverage or two and you'll easily cover that. It's clean, the food is good and you get an assigned lounger either on the beach or at the pool for your $3...

This looks perfect! Thank you so much. How long approx. of a cab ride to get there?

I guess this is me being extra cautious/nervous, but is it ok to eat the food off the boat? I wouldn't want to risk any of us getting a stomach bug.

DCL doesn't offer a Paradise beach excursion. The cab ride was about 15-20 minutes each way. Some people don't do ice, tap water, or fresh fruits/vegetables to avoid risk of Montezuma's Revenge; it's really up to you. I had a pina colada and my son and in-laws had the salsa with no issues. Hubby and FIL stuck to bottled beer and my older son who has allergies stuck to bottled water we had smuggled in for him (they don't allow outside food/water but I broke the rule for him since he has allergies). In retrospect I wish I had brought a snack for my younger son and told him to avoid the salsa just to be a bit safer.

When you exit the pier area you are forced to take an escalator up and walk through a 2nd level shopping area. Go straight through the main shopping area and down the stairs to the right. You want the official cab sign that has prices posted for various locations. I seem to recall it said $22 each way for 4 people to Paradise but I am not 100% sure. As you go through the shopping area people will try to stop you and sell you other excursions. There are also some people in costume who want you to pay them to take pictures with them.

13 and 10 are great ages for the water activities at Paradise Beach! You can check the trip advisor website for reviews and pictures, including pictures of the menu.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...Paradise_Beach-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

If your family likes to snorkel, Chankanaab national park is the way to go. Short cab ride and not super expensive entrance fee.
$21 per adult and $14 for kids through age 11.

Beautiful rocky shorline with tons of fish, cool hiking trail, etc...

I guess this is me being extra cautious/nervous, but is it ok to eat the food off the boat? I wouldn't want to risk any of us getting a stomach bug.

It's a 10-15 minute cab ride from the pier. We've eaten there with no ill effects. However, we didn't eat any fresh fruits or veggies that I recall. Keep in mind that many people will get off the ship and consume beverages with locally made ice and don't find themselves stricken with Monty's Revenge...

Steer clear of straight tap water and fresh fruits and veggies and you should be fine.

Probably one of the cheaper beaches to reach by cab is Paradise Beach.

Its $3 to enter.

We love this place! We went in 2012 and 2013 and will be returning this year. If you buy food, they might not charge you anything. We've also eaten extensively off of the menu and never had problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter