Budgeting for teens?

courtbowling

Earning My Ears
For my senior year spring break me and my friends are going to the world but most of us have to pay for a majority of it by ourselves. My parents are paying for our condo but we're all on our own for everything else. Any tips? Most of us are theatre kids with very little time for a job.

The teens that live across the street from us always have a huge garage sale. You could also take your outdated electronics to a pawn shop. they pay pretty good for it, that's what my DD17 did.

think about your food budget. Can you have pop tarts, cereal or oatmeal in the condo for breakfast? For lunch can you pack a sandwich, chips and a piece of fruit. Then have a park snack 3.99 - 5.00 of a mickey bar, churro, bakery item. You could either make dinner in the condo: spaghetti, frozen pizza, tacos or eat a counter service meal for dinner. 20.00. This would make your grocery bill about 150.00 split by number of people...4? and then your in park per day cost from 5.00 snack only or 25. snack and counter service. Think about coupons and the in store grocery savings card to lower your bill. Bringing a water bottle from home will also save lots on drinks. Have fun!

Make a list of what you need. I'm assuming you are driving and will have a car, but if you are not driving and flying things change.

For food and essentials, bring as much as you can - for two reasons - one, shopping for it takes time, two it costs money. Essentials include sunscreen, feminine products, pain relief, cold medicine.....

Itemize out what you'll need. Park tickets, parking fees, food......make sure everyone agrees to the same tickets. When you have a list, post it here, people will be able to say "you forgot parking fees."

Be aware of everyone finances and needs - the person with money may want to do a character meal that the person who is broke really can't afford - be sensitive to that. If you want to spend on one or two special events once the basics are down, build consensus around what and how much (special events might just be dinner since pretty much everything but food is included).

The more you can eat in your condo or pack into the park, the cheaper it will be.

Your senior year is still "to come", right? If so, no reason you all can't get Summer jobs. Ditto for weekends during the school year. My friends & I were all in MULTIPLE activities in HS and we all had jobs.

Jobs such as babysitting and yard work can be done around your theatre schedule.

Over the holidays, neighbors may need someone to collect the mail and newspapers, put trash cans out by the road, feed birds and fish, etc. The pay may be small, but it all adds up! Charge $5 per day per house. Get two houses where the family will be gone 5 days or more and there's your day 1 park ticket.

It may be a little late, but ask for Disney gift cards for Christmas and birthdays.

Consignment stores may be a good way to clean out your closet and make money.

Ask your parents what you can do around the house for extra cash.

Check out some of the posts on here about ways to earn gift cards online through rewards programs. Check the age requirement for the program.

Hold a car wash or have a lemonade stand the weekend of your neighborhood's community yard sale.

We are actually flying because our condo is rented from sunday to sunday but we have already bought our flights. Also we are currently in our senior year so no summer jobs for us. Also our theatre program is very rigorous and requires us to be at school until a minimum of 6pm every day of the school year until May so there really is no way for us to work and do theatre. I like the garage sale idea a lot and my family almost always does some grocery shopping for our trip rather than paying for all onsite meals.

We are actually flying because our condo is rented from sunday to sunday but we have already bought our flights. Also we are currently in our senior year so no summer jobs for us. Also our theatre program is very rigorous and requires us to be at school until a minimum of 6pm every day of the school year until May so there really is no way for us to work and do theatre. I like the garage sale idea a lot and my family almost always does some grocery shopping for our trip rather than paying for all onsite meals.

Lots of retail jobs need weekend help. I actually worked as a tour guide & before that Six Flags. I never worked DURING the week when school was in session, but plenty of Saturdays & quite a few Sundays. :thumbsup2

Lots of retail jobs need weekend help. I actually worked as a tour guide & before that Six Flags. I never worked DURING the week when school was in session, but plenty of Saturdays & quite a few Sundays. :thumbsup2

A job is 100% out of the question for all of us. A few of us actually just quit our jobs including me because we couldn't handle school, a job, and theatre. But pointers to cheaper ways to do things in the world or any tips on getting money without a job would be appreciated.

A job is 100% out of the question for all of us. A few of us actually just quit our jobs including me because we couldn't handle school, a job, and theatre. But pointers to cheaper ways to do things in the world or any tips on getting money without a job would be appreciated.

What do you have for income now?
What expenses?

Read the Swagbucks thread. You only need to be 13 to do it.
And research Perk.

I would say that you need to sit down and work out a budget first. This way you know how much you need to make/earn.

How exactly are you planning to get from the airport to the condo then from the condo to the parks each day? Is there some sort of transportation available that's provided by the condo?

We have a basic budget and with flights are expecting anywhere from $500 to $800 depending on the number of days we will spend in parks. Most of us have money saved from summer jobs or babysitting but we are trying to figure out how to minimize our costs

We have a basic budget and with flights are expecting anywhere from $500 to $800 depending on the number of days we will spend in parks. Most of us have money saved from summer jobs or babysitting but we are trying to figure out how to minimize our costs
What "costs" are you trying to minimize? You really haven't come out and stated what expenses you need to cover with that "$500 to $800". How about giving us a list of the things you need to pay for and the things that are being covered by your family. Then we can point you in the direction of any available discounts and help you to adjust your budget for any expenses you haven't considered.

We're paying for everything but the condo, so like the rental car, food, tickets, etc. We've already all bought our flights but that's all we've bought so far. We haven't decided how many days we'll be in the world and we are trying to figure out which rental car service is the cheapest but still reliable. We've planned on at least one "nicer dinner" at downtown disney but hope to grocery shop or do some sort of fast food or quick service for most meals. So basically any tips to save on rental car, or tickets (if there is anything besides undercover tourist) and maybe food or souvenirs. I've loooked at All Ears.com for some tips and I do have a basic knowledge of things since i planned my families last trip but if anyone knows anything different especially when it comes to spring break it would be nice to know.

I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere in the thread... HS senior or College senior.

I'm assuming HS because you said "budgeting for teens" ... keep in mind there are usually extra fees for teenagers renting cars and often minimum ages are 21-25:

Some brief info:

http://www.vroomvroomvroom.com/teens-and-rental-cars.asp

For food in the parks, check out the dining menus, which you can find on the top menu of this forum. Counter service meals are large enough to share in most cases, depending on your appetite.

I'd look through the menus to get an idea of food budget.

We're paying for everything but the condo, so like the rental car, food, tickets, etc. We've already all bought our flights but that's all we've bought so far. We haven't decided how many days we'll be in the world and we are trying to figure out which rental car service is the cheapest but still reliable. We've planned on at least one "nicer dinner" at downtown disney but hope to grocery shop or do some sort of fast food or quick service for most meals. So basically any tips to save on rental car, or tickets (if there is anything besides undercover tourist) and maybe food or souvenirs. I've loooked at All Ears.com for some tips and I do have a basic knowledge of things since i planned my families last trip but if anyone knows anything different especially when it comes to spring break it would be nice to know.

How is it possible for teens to rent a car?

My parents are going to drive us to/from the parks but since we have to buy such a big car we have to pay for it.

My parents are going to drive us to/from the parks but since we have to buy such a big car we have to pay for it.

That makes much more sense. My sister and my BFF have both had fantastic luck finding car rental deals here: http://www.rentalcarmomma.com/

Not sure on how you can save on tickets other than the Mousesaver's link for Undercover Tourist. Unless there are enough of you willing to take a class for cheap tickets. Check out the Disney Youth threads on these boards and the classes here:
http://www.disneyyouth.com/our-programs/education/sp/student-seminars/#categories-student-seminars

As for a food budget, I suggest you plan breakfast in the condo. My DS18 was just at Disney a few weeks ago with his grandpa. I had him budget $50 per day for food. He needed to purchase 2 meals per day (his grandpa bought the other one) and his snacks/water through out the day. Looking at his receipts he spent around $15 on a CS meal. Personally, I prefer the menus on themouseforless.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter