Budgeting for teens?

If there's time to have garage sales or shovel snow, there's time for a real job.

Which is exactly why neither one is an option. I babysit maybe once a month typically less often than that. The only option I may have to earn money would be to sell my clothes at a consignment shop.

For park tickets, I'd just get the basic one - no park hoppers. That will save money.

I'd eat breakfast at the condo and pack a lunch that you can either carry with you or put in a locker.

Since you'd be shopping for groceries, get the majority of your snacks at the grocery store and buy maybe one treat a day in the parks if you can afford it - like popcorn you could share.

for supper on the days you are going to someplace like AK which closes a bit early - eat a fast food dinner offsite to save money.

For earning extra money - babysitting, yard work assistance (winter cleanup, snow shoveling ect), garage sale, selling old electronics, keeping an eye on peoples houses while they are on vacation - I used to pay a teen 50.00 a week to stop by, put any UPS deliveries in the house and make sure there was no mail or newspapers dropped off - we've had that happen even though I've stopped them. That reminds me I need to find a new trustworthy teen now that our neighbor is in college.

Thank you these are some really good tips!:)

Start a coin jar. You would be amazed at how fast loose change at the bottom of your pocket book adds up. I empty mine about every 2 weeks . The jar adds it as I put in. So there is no taking out until i want to cash it in.

People have given several great suggestions yet nothing seems to be enough for you..... There aren't really any other options

Actually I've posted thank you to multiple responses. The only negative responses I have given have been towards people who are telling me what I'm saying isnt true such as someone saying I could handle a job when I knew I could not or someone saying my budget was impossible even though I planned it all out using a budget planner I downloaded from touring plans. I have greatly appreciated the people giving me actual tips but not the people treating me like I dont know what I'm talking about when I have done my research.

Wow I love adults that generalize teens and assume all teens don't know what they're talking about. I actually have done calculations and like I said I fully budgeted and planned my family's last trip to the world so I do know how to do it and what all needs included. The park hoppers are only an option if we do the disney youth program that gets us a major discount and like I said that's a maximum number of days not a minimum so it does not fit into the $500 category.
You're making the assumption that individual enrollment Y.E.S. tickets will be available during spring break. AFAIK, 2015 spring Y.E.S. dates have not been released, if they will be released at all. There are programs running from 1/6/15-2/17/15 and then nothing again until 6/9/15. It would be a real shame if you told your friends that they can get tickets for $X and then Disney had no Y.E.S. programs for the days that you will be there.

When it comes to making a budget, it's always a good idea to budget for the maximum amount that something will cost unless you know with absolute certainty that you can get it for less.

You're making the assumption that individual enrollment Y.E.S. tickets will be available during spring break. AFAIK, 2015 spring Y.E.S. dates have not been released, if they will be released at all. There are programs running from 1/6/15-2/17/15 and then nothing again until 6/9/15. It would be a real shame if you told your friends that they can get tickets for $X and then Disney had no Y.E.S. programs for the days that you will be there.

When it comes to making a budget, it's always a good idea to budget for the maximum amount that something will cost unless you know with absolute certainty that you can get it for less.

I agree which is why I said it's only an option if we do the youth program. Outside of the youth program we will only do one or 2 days in the park which I have budgeted for. Once my finals week is over I will be happy to post my budget but at the moment I don't have time to do so.

There are some survey sites for teens. You won't make a fortune, but you might make a few bucks. Also, my son collects pop cans and cashes them in at a local recycling center. That could give you $50 between now and spring break. Maybe your parents would donate their change to your cause. That can add up too, as previously mentioned.

Do you have any gold jewelry you don't want anymore? You can cash that in for money.

Actually I've posted thank you to multiple responses. The only negative responses I have given have been towards people who are telling me what I'm saying isnt true such as someone saying I could handle a job when I knew I could not or someone saying my budget was impossible even though I planned it all out using a budget planner I downloaded from touring plans. I have greatly appreciated the people giving me actual tips but not the people treating me like I dont know what I'm talking about when I have done my research.

Right or wrong, the impression you've given us is that one or more members of your group is short the $ this trip will require. And while cutting expenses from $800 per person to $600 per person is a step in the right direction, it doesn't completely solve the issue if some of the people on the trip only have $300 to spend (for example).

We have to base advice on info given & a perception of the missing puzzle pieces.

Hey there - great job planning so far! You are asking all the right questions.

1. I completely understand not having time for a job - I have a high school athlete who is looking to play at the collegiate level. His entire summer, the entire fall, and entire winter off season has been filled with optional and non-optional practices, games, and training. Nobody will hire him for the months of April and May only each year, nor do we expect anyone to. He is also taking all honors classes, so when he isn't on the field or in the weight room, he is doing homework.

2. I planned a 5 day/4 night trip, onsite, for 5 people (4 "adults" and one "child") last year, flights included, rental car included, meals included, resort included + $500 for additional expenses/souvenirs for $3200 out the door. This also included a limo ride to the airport from home. Keep doing your homework, research, and explore all options, and you will be amazed at what you come up with. We were OK with budget Spirit airlines, and a small rental car, and "cramming" a family of 5 into a POR room. Other people might consider that a form of torture. It's all perspective, and you are getting responses from a lot of people whose financial/lifestyle might be very different than yours.

You sound like you are doing a great job! Your friends are very lucky to have you planning this for them!:cool2:

I have just redone my budget including a rental car, $35 a day for meals (splitting groceries), our already paid for flights, parking in the parks, and all different options for tickets the price I have it at currently is $572 which is slightly more than last time but our flights had gone up since we first found them to when we actually bought them. The maximum I found was $815 also slightly more for the same reason. I did all of this using the touring plans budget worksheet but did not factor in souvenirs because I figured each of us would be different and if we didn't have money for them we wouldn't buy anything.

Survey mini is an awesome app. It gives you super short surveys to do to earn points. Points go toward gift cards. If you all got the app you could get a couple of giftcards before the trip for offsite meals.

When we go budget trips we steer clear of eating onsite. I know that has already been said, but I wanted to add that we do eat out some, but we do it offsite and with coupons. Look for buy one get one coupons. You'd be surprised how cheap you can eat out with coupons.

Also use coupons in your grocery shopping, but only for things you would've bought without a coupon. Coupons can be little devils in that they lure you into buying things you may not have otherwise.

It sounds like you are doing an excellent job. Please don't let people who think teens are lesser than adults get to you. It seems to me that you are a very clever and capable person. I applaud your gumption and your efforts!

I have just redone my budget including a rental car, $35 a day for meals (splitting groceries), our already paid for flights, parking in the parks, and all different options for tickets the price I have it at currently is $572 which is slightly more than last time but our flights had gone up since we first found them to when we actually bought them. The maximum I found was $815 also slightly more for the same reason. I did all of this using the touring plans budget worksheet but did not factor in souvenirs because I figured each of us would be different and if we didn't have money for them we wouldn't buy anything.

If the flights are paid, take them out of the budget. How much more do you need? $35 a day for meals is absolutely possible. You'll have fun even on a bare-bones trip.

If the flights are paid, take them out of the budget. How much more do you need? $35 a day for meals is absolutely possible. You'll have fun even on a bare-bones trip.

Even though its bare-bones it's some of my friend's first trips or first in over 10 years so yeah I'm sure we'll have fun! Thank you!

Survey mini is an awesome app. It gives you super short surveys to do to earn points. Points go toward gift cards. If you all got the app you could get a couple of giftcards before the trip for offsite meals.

When we go budget trips we steer clear of eating onsite. I know that has already been said, but I wanted to add that we do eat out some, but we do it offsite and with coupons. Look for buy one get one coupons. You'd be surprised how cheap you can eat out with coupons.

Also use coupons in your grocery shopping, but only for things you would've bought without a coupon. Coupons can be little devils in that they lure you into buying things you may not have otherwise.

It sounds like you are doing an excellent job. Please don't let people who think teens are lesser than adults get to you. It seems to me that you are a very clever and capable person. I applaud your gumption and your efforts!

I would second the eating insure advice. You said "one nicer meal" out, pick an offsite restaurant (& bonus for a slower night of the week, as sometimes you can find additional deals on Monday/Tuesday). Instead of eating at Downtown Disney, as you mentioned earlier, eat at a restaurant at The Crossings (Chevy's has large portions, chips/salsa unlimited, free soda refills) for much less they'll will pay at DTD. You could easily walk (once you cross the street) back to DTD for the experience, shopping, people watching, etc.

If your parents are renting the car, try to have them drop you off at the parks each day to save parking fees. It is usually closer and saves steps as well. The parking attendants will allow drop offs and direct you to the spot. You could always se Disney Transport from the parks to DTD and get picked up there, or one of the resorts if it were closer for the pickup person!

$35/day pp for food should be enough since you will be eating in the condo for some of those meals. If you want to save on a nice dinner, you could buy discounted GCs on raise .com or giftcardgranny .com. Landry's GCs can be purchased for about 20% off of the face value and they can be used at either RFC, T-Rex or Yak & Yeti.

I encourage you to reserve your rental vehcle ASAP and then keep checking to see if the price goes down between now and the day that you depart for your trip. There are no penalties for changing a reservation unless you opted for the pre-paid discount. It sounds as if you might need a minivan and they can be in short supply during spring break.

And speaking of spring break, I know that your lower budget number includes the cost of Y.E.S. tickets but please don't count on that happening. Disney does not need to discount tickets to families during times when schools have their breaks. The schedule is already out for June 2015 and they have skipped all dates from mid-Feb until then. It isn't likely that they will open up classes for those dates, so please plan to spend more for your tickets.

You will also want to keep a sharp eye out for any discussions about ticket price increases. Disney does them on an almost annual basis and the last one was Feb 23, 2014. They may raise prices again soon and you will want to purchase your tickets before then. Usually, there is very little notice (maybe a day or two at the most), so everyone should have their ticket money ready for making the purchase if the rumors start to fly.

Keep in mind that you can always upgrade the number of days (or add hopping) once you arrive at the parks and you will only pay the difference between the gate value of your ticket and the gate price of the new ticket as long as you have used your ticket for one entry. So buy what you (or your friends) can afford to pay for prior to the increase and then plan to save more money to cover any upgrades.

I would second the eating insure advice. You said "one nicer meal" out, pick an offsite restaurant (& bonus for a slower night of the week, as sometimes you can find additional deals on Monday/Tuesday). Instead of eating at Downtown Disney, as you mentioned earlier, eat at a restaurant at The Crossings (Chevy's has large portions, chips/salsa unlimited, free soda refills) for much less they'll will pay at DTD. You could easily walk (once you cross the street) back to DTD for the experience, shopping, people watching, etc.

If your parents are renting the car, try to have them drop you off at the parks each day to save parking fees. It is usually closer and saves steps as well. The parking attendants will allow drop offs and direct you to the spot. You could always se Disney Transport from the parks to DTD and get picked up there, or one of the resorts if it were closer for the pickup person!

There is no transportation from the parks to DTD or from DTD to the parks.

One thing I wanted to point out... I didn't see if any non-teens are coming on this trip with you... However you will want to make sure that someone has a credit card or even a debit card with someone back home that could deposit some money just in case something goes wrong.

Example something causes massive flight delays and you get stuck without being able to fly home and need another night in a hotel, more food, etc) Even if you have travel insurance (which would be a good idea) you would probably need to pay for these things and then get reimbursed so you need to make sure someone has a way of paying for things.

another thing I didn't see mentioned, or maybe missed, but I'm pretty sure as a high school senior you will not be able to rent a car, most places require you to be either 21 or 25.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter