Buena Vista scooter rental experience?

TheElectricMayhem

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

I am planning my first trip to Disney using an ECV. I am able to walk short distances, but I have a really bad back that makes standing or walking for more than 5 minutes terribly painful. After being basically incarcerated in the house for a couple of years due to how painful I find walking, I finally bought a mobility scooter - a Pride Victory 10 - second hand. Its totally changed my life, I go anywhere and everywhere now: farmer's markets, shopping malls, flea markets, Ikea - I am starting to feel like a human being again. And its opened my eyes that a Disney trip could be totally possible with the right equipment.

So two questions:
1. For those that fly - how do you fly with your scooter? Or do you leave it at home and use a wc in the airport? I am trying to picture how that might work for me if I can score a good deal on flights. It probably sounds dumb, but I don't feel 'entitled' to use a wc because I am neither elderly nor am I truly disabled... I can walk, it just hurts so bad I really don't. I don't want to take advantage or use resources meant for someone with more challenges than I have.

2. If we do drive, I won't have room in the trunk for the scooter, so I'd have to rent on arrival. I hear good thinks about Gold Mobility, but I will admit my head is been turned by the Star Wars-themed wraps on the Buena Vista Scooters. Has anyone rented from BV before? Good or bad experiences to share?

Finally - we are staying at Coronado Springs in a standard room - any advice on what to ask for? Is there anything we should know about fitting the scooter into the room? I was freaking out worrying I'd have trouble getting out of the pools, it can be hard putting enough stress on my back to step up and not have grab bars on both sides- but in all the pics of the pools, it looks like they have railings by the steps that are close enough together that I could use both hands to grab them and haul out of the pool, which is super exciting to me. I can. not. wait for this trip!

I rented an ECV for a travel mate from BV and had a great experience-the scooter was a exactly what we needed, on time and the battery lasted all day, no problems. I’ve also turned to BV to help with service on my personal ECV, wonderful customer service…even sold me some extra parts…

When we rented from them (many years ago), we got a unit with a bad battery, called them at something like 7 PM and they said it was outside business hours and we would have to call the next day, meaning we had to push the scooter out of the park.

We stick with Gold Mobility now and never have such issues. Even when we have had some issue, they either were able to help us resolve it over the phone, by text or showed up within about 30 minutes to fix it, even coming into the park if necessary.

Now I can't attest to current practices with BV, but it sounded us on them.

I rented from BV in the past (5 years ago?) and I too had the experience of getting very old/worn squeaky broken ECVs so I stopped and switched to Gold when they started their business. Lately I've seen positive reports of the BV rentals and from just eyeballing their scooters in the parks (I was just at WDW) - everything looked in good shape.

Gold gives you the captains chair style seat which is decently nicer and the choice of amenity if you need/want it - and it includes insurance which is a big plus for me. I've always had them arrive on time and be easy to work with - like when I extended my trip by a day they didn't even charge me extra once.

CSR is a beautiful resort - but I haven't stayed there since the tower was completed. I'm sure you can get an ECV in any room at WDW. I hope the pool will work out for you as well! Have a great trip!

We used Walker Mobility and they were just great!

The scooter came with the damage insurance, a cellphone holder, 2 usb ports, 2 cup holders, headlight and a horn. They brought the scooter to my resort and the driver we met was very polite. The scooter lasted all day and night at the park, we didn't have to charge it throughout the day. I was impressed their equipment looked brand new! It rained one day and we were able to keep riding it in the rain since it's water resistant while we passed others with scooters that we're stopped covering their scooters to protect it from the rain.

I now recommend them to anyone who is looking to get a scooter on their next trip. It was a life saver!!!

We used Walker Mobility and they were just great!

The scooter came with the damage insurance, a cellphone holder, 2 usb ports, 2 cup holders, headlight and a horn. They brought the scooter to my resort and the driver we met was very polite. The scooter lasted all day and night at the park, we didn't have to charge it throughout the day. I was impressed their equipment looked brand new! It rained one day and we were able to keep riding it in the rain since it's water resistant while we passed others with scooters that we're stopped covering their scooters to protect it from the rain.

I now recommend them to anyone who is looking to get a scooter on their next trip. It was a life saver!!!
I remember sharing an elevator with a man who had a Walker Scooter (yes, you can fit 2 ECVs in some elevators) and I commented to him how impressed I was with how "Walker really takes good care of their scooters!" He said he was very happy with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter