Buffet Brunch

MassJester

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Apologies if this belongs over in Rumors, but I am wondering about (and hopeful for) the return of the buffet brunches/breakfasts. Most particularly the offering at California Grill.

is there any news on when that might happen?

With the ongoing covid situation, I can't imagine traditional buffets returning anytime soon. The main concern was having hundreds of people touching the same serving utensils. I can see where they might switch over to having a Disney employee behind the counter providing the items you select so they don't have to do a major rework of the restaurant layout.

Even if they do reopen, I suspect the traffic will be lower for those trying to continue to be cautious about the potential transmission of covid.

Slower would be great—getting reservations can be challenging!

I think part of the current ADR challenge is trying to match supply with demand. From other discussions I have seen, sounds like all of the restaurants have not yet reopened or are operating at reduced capacity. As Disney allows more people into the hotels or the parks, there is a challenge finding enough places to eat.

I'm not sure that buffets (as we knew them) will ever return. I definitely do not see it in the near term. I loved California Grill's brunch so would be thrilled to see them revive it with some modifications. In the meantime, if looking for an alternative, recommend Wine Bar George or Topolino's. I've not tried it but the breakfast at Ravello (Four Seasons) is supposed to be great as well.

I do not see the big character buffets reopening the way they were before, but the California Grill might be able to make it work. It was already part entrée ordering which helps cut down on people touching things. To return the buffet part they could adopt something like what the Wicked Spoon does in Vegas. Their buffet has everything already portioned into small plates, so as you go through the buffet you select the small items you want instead of serving yourself from a large dish using a communal spoon. This was their practice before the pandemic and they have reopened using that same process. The only difference now is that a a server hands you the small plates. It does increase the number of dishes needing to be washed, but would cut down on people touching things that other guests use.

I agree that I don't see buffets returning. I HOPE that they keep it family style rather than turning it into a cafeteria.

I would think the CG brunch was a big moneymaker for WDW, so they would find a way to make it work, likely with the small plates already set up, or a platter of popular items in addition to the entrees and drinks.

If Disney really wanted to start buffet again they could. It would not be that difficult.
It just takes a few more people to work the line serving guest.

California Grill Brunch would be one of the easiest. My wife and I have dined at the California Grill Brunch many times and love it. During the shut down/suspension in 2020 we lost a couple of brunch reservations.

I think they are holding back because of the % of guest aloud in the restaurants at any time, they are still at reduced capacity. It has to be financially worth opening.

The restaurants that were buffets that are open are now family style. They are saving a huge amount of money due to less food being wasted. This is also a factor in my opinion.

Several years ago while on a cruise the ship went on special sanitary protocol due to a suspected outbreak of a stomach issue.
Among-st many other ship wide protocols you could not serve your self at the buffet. The crew put up Que lines they stood behind and they wore gloves. They handed you your plate, silver ware and served you what ever you wanted and as much as you wanted.
They did the same at any other self serve area around the ship.
They made it work and it worked very well.

I think as soon as Disney sees a lot more people returning you will start to see more changes.

Last edited:
Correct, however it is still the same food.😉

Yes, but it is no longer a buffet if it is served to you. Semantics, yes. But I'll stick to menus and family-style if they turn buffets into cafeterias.

Buffets are gross. You are touching utensils handled by a billion other people (kids who have picked their nose, adults who were just smoking outside). Think about it friends. Covid did us a favor. Family style is better and less gross but I am guessing more expensive.

Family style is better and less gross but I am guessing more expensive.

I've never run a restaurant so I’m not sure about this, but I’m wondering if family style is actually less expensive for a restaurant. On a buffet you have to prepare enough of each dish for everyone who might come through the buffet. When people sit down to a family style meal they might actually say don’t bring out certain items and so you’re only serving the things they will eat. I’m also guessing that foods have to be removed from the buffet after a certain period of time due to food safety issues and then tossed. Again with a family style you wouldn’t have that same issue.

I hope they DO return to buffet style. I travelled to South Korea in April with my job. When I was at the hotel...breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet!!! Now, keep in mind this is Korea...they are big big time on mitigation. Masks are mandatory anytime you are not in your room, house, car or eating. If you are outside and 300 feet from anyone, you are required to wear a mask. And guess what...EVERYONE does without a complaint. Now here we have a place where they are all in on Covid mitigation, but they still have buffets. They give everyone one of those plastic lunchroom gloves to wear during your visit. You simply wear your mask when getting food and use your gloved hand at the common touch points (serving utensils, dispenser buttons/handles. It wasn’t as busy as Disney, for sure, but it was both hotel guests and local residents and people at work, so it was still quite active. It can be done safely. I imagine Disney will have masks in restaurants except for eating for awhile, so all they need is glove hand out. Seems like an easy thing to me, but who knows..

Ive seen several buffets return locally and in touristy spots with the simple addition of disposable plastic gloves. Even a WDW vlogger visited a restaurant offsite albeit out of state which utilized the same system. Each station in most places had an employee hand out a pair before you entered the buffet line. Not saying its ideal or would even be an option at WDW but just throwing it out there that it is possible to do it.

I'm also hoping that buffets are gone for good. Maybe the quality of the food will improve? That's probably wishful thinking...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter