Buffets for a kid who can't eat

Swimmergirl

DIS Veteran
My son has oral motor problems and doesn't chew or eat well. I usually feed him at home things I know he can handle, and basically never feed him in public. We would like to take my in-laws to a buffet or two on our next trip. My son is perfectly happy to sit and play while everyone else eats. But will Disney charge us for a child who isn't eating at a buffet? He will be 5 years old. Thanks!

Ask the CM at the buffet - if it is a character meal, then expect to pay, as there is more to the experience than just the food. If it is a straight-forward buffet, no characters, the CMs may waive the fee.

If it is a buffet with entertainment, people have reported getting charged an "entertainment fee" for someone who was not able to eat.
For other buffets, people have explained to the server and the server may be able to take the charge off. The server does have the power to do that - our youngest DD eats mostly from the children's items on the buffets; we have had servers in the past who noticed that and just charged for her as a child without us asking them.

Someone posted in the past they just didn't include the child in the count when making the reservation, but then there was no seat for the child.

Hopefully, someone with first hand experience will be along soon and tell what happened to them.

In my experience it is a case by case thing. For example at the Playhouse Disney character buffet at the Studios, after it was determined there was nothing "safe" for me to eat the manager did not charge me. At the Ohana Breakfast I was charged, even though I only drank a soda and did not eat anything.

We haven't been charged when my son didn't eat...and several trips that meants we were left with several extra child's DDP meals which we were able to use as adults at Sci-Fi. Disney has been more than accomodating for us!

We have brought McDonalds to Teppan Edo with no problem.

We weren't charged when our son fell asleep at Chef Mickeys, and when he didn't eat at Garden Grill (he was freaked out because we were moving) not only did they not charge us, they let us take his food with us anyway!

We weren't charged at Akershus when he didn't eat anything they had (all unacceptable and not on his self-limited diet list.)

At Hollywood and Vine they don't serve french fries and there was nothing there he would eat. The waiter went next door to Sci-Fi and brought us a big plate of chicken and fries for him...he got a big tip LOL

If you have any other restaurants in mind let me know and I'll tell you if we have been there, because we have done most, and have had to deal with diet issues at each one. Overall we have found all of the Disney restaurants to be more than accomodating. The only place we have been told he would be charged no matter what was at the shows (Mickeys Backyard BBQ, etc) Officially though they may say you will be charged.

Good Luck!!

We took my GD to Crystal Palace a few years ago. We didn't realize it at the time, but she was very tired and also not feeling well. She didn't want to tell us, because she didn't want to have to go back to the hotel.:sad2: Anyway, she literally ate nothing and drank only a few sips of her soda. The waitress even mentioned to her that she hadn't eaten a bite and wondered what was wrong. She still charged us full price for her though.

In most cases we have had good luck with CM making adjustment (without us asking) when our DS has only been able find limited items to eat, which speaks well to the “nature” of most of the CM’s. I try to “reinforce” this by leaving an exceptional “tip” in these situations since this is so “rare” in the “real world”.

bookwormde

In most cases we have had good luck with CM making adjustment (without us asking) when our DS has only been able find limited items to eat, which speaks well to the “nature” of most of the CM’s. I try to “reinforce” this by leaving an exceptional “tip” in these situations since this is so “rare” in the “real world”.

bookwormde

I agree, and we do the same thing! I was shocked the first time we went to Whispering Canyon and I told the waitress that my son wanted french fries, a chocolate chip cookie and a banana (the only things he would eat that they had)....and the chef came out to see if there was anything he could cook for him, anything even if it wasn't on the menu! At the time the only "real" meals he ate were a Subway sandwich (and it HAD to be from Subway) and a handful of brands of chicken nuggets...so I explained that and he tried to make some chicken nuggets but of course they weren't acceptable...but I was so impressed that he tried I gave them a big tip!

Our waiter at Boma actually went to the Animal Kingdom food court and found us some chicken nuggets that looked more like McD's since they didn't have any on the buffet at the time.

They really do (at least most of them) try to make it a magical experience! This is why Disney and cruising are my 2 favorite vacations...you just can't beat the service!

We have had the chef come out several times also, which is really nice, of course DS had to give detailed instructions as to have he likes his grilled cheese sandwich(s).

bookwormde

Although it's great that some have had these wonderful experiences, I think the OP needs to tell the server the problem, hope for pixie dust, but expect to pay.. No one noticed anything and we had to pay full price last summer for my 10 yr old who ate ONE chicken nugget at CHef Mickey's last summer.. Also, the summer before we were at Coral Reef and I asked if there was anyway to get anything like chix nuggets since there was nothing child would eat and I didnt even get a response.. Nor, did the server care/mention that the child wasn't eating .. My other son and I ate, other child just played gameboy.. Oh and both times, we were paying cash not ddp.

Hi,
Just wanted to say that we never had a problem with my son. He also could not eat by mouth. I would always include him in the reservation. As soon as we sat, I would tell the server that he does not eat by mouth and we will have only x amount of buffetts. (and we did many character meals) We never once had a problem. Maybe because I worded it as a statement and not a question.
Have a great time.
Jean

We have had the chef come out several times also, which is really nice, of course DS had to give detailed instructions as to have he likes his grilled cheese sandwich(s).

bookwormde

Good for him! That is precious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter