Buffets with Multiple Food Allergies

stackyallred

DIS Veteran
This will be my second trip with my very long list of both rare and common food allergies. We had a great experience last year at Tusker House and since we are staying at AKL this year, I would love to try Boma. At Tusker, the chef made me fresh food from the kitchen because of my many allergies- it sounded like if he had tried to just point out what wasn't safe on the buffet, I would've had no choices. Has anyone else found that this was the case for them- specifically at Boma? I am fearful of being too limited that I can't enjoy the meal though I only had one less than great experience last year out of 12 TS meals and it wasn't even that terrible (Le Celler). I just need a little reassuring! :thumbsup2 Thanks!!!

My DD's allergies are pretty common, peanuts, tree nuts, and peas. When we go to buffets (including Boma), the chef is able to point out what she can have and what she must avoid. I think they've all been very accommodating about offering to prepare something in the kitchen if the risk of cross contamination is there (for example, a bowl of peas right next to the kids pizza). Boma stands out in my memory as being very accommodating in this regard. I think you will be fine.

The chefs at Boma have also been great about preparing DD a special dessert in the kitchen since there is nothing safe for her on the buffet.

I find that I have more options when going to buffets because the chefs have more ingredients to work with. I can't have dairy, gluten, fish, shellfish, uncooked alcohol, artificial sweeteners, mustard, and tapioca. The chef's have always been able to make me something. The couple of times the chef's actually taken me to the buffet line, nothing straight off it was safe. So they've always made me a plate or 2 in the back. No one's ever made me feel like a pain or bother. Disney's the only place I actually feel somewhat safe eating out.

We tend to eat mostly buffets. Our only buffet that didn't do a great job for us was Hollywood and vine specifically for breakfast. Everywhere else they had a lot of selection and offered safe items from the back. Boma was a ton of fun because they have so many items to work with.

Thanks so much, everyone! I knew I could find some assurance here! :) I am definitely going to try and make a Boma ADR right away. In terms of buffets, I hadn't really thought of the "they have more food options to work with" angle but that is a good point. Now if I can just get the next 44 days to fly by (then the days can come to a screeching halt lol)!

I agree with others that buffets are a great option for allergies because of the number of foods available. We haven't done Boma specifically but we've done other buffets recently.

I can't have: peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, gluten, dairy, soy, coconut, mustard, sesame, sunflower seeds, broccoli, cherries, bananas, thyme, ginger, and honey.

At Crystal Palace, both times we went, the chefs brought me enough food to feed me for an entire day! I had like 10 different types of food each time and so much of it! It was amazing.

1900 park fare was the same way. A lot of food but it wasn't as good as crystal palace this time. But I did appreciate the number of choices I had.

However, we did not have any problems with selection of foods anywhere except Garden Grill. Except for GG, I had no problem finding anything to eat at any of the TS places.

I agree with others that buffets are a great option for allergies because of the number of foods available. We haven't done Boma specifically but we've done other buffets recently.

I can't have: peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, gluten, dairy, soy, coconut, mustard, sesame, sunflower seeds, broccoli, cherries, bananas, thyme, ginger, and honey.

At Crystal Palace, both times we went, the chefs brought me enough food to feed me for an entire day! I had like 10 different types of food each time and so much of it! It was amazing.

1900 park fare was the same way. A lot of food but it wasn't as good as crystal palace this time. But I did appreciate the number of choices I had.

However, we did not have any problems with selection of foods anywhere except Garden Grill. Except for GG, I had no problem finding anything to eat at any of the TS places.

:thumbsup2

Thank you! I have heard a lot of good things about 1900 PF and CP... I am still trying to make any final changes so I may need to consider those. I am trying to be sure we give a few new places a try and that is hard after going yearly for 10 years!

This will be my second trip with my very long list of both rare and common food allergies. We had a great experience last year at Tusker House and since we are staying at AKL this year, I would love to try Boma. At Tusker, the chef made me fresh food from the kitchen because of my many allergies- it sounded like if he had tried to just point out what wasn't safe on the buffet, I would've had no choices. Has anyone else found that this was the case for them- specifically at Boma? I am fearful of being too limited that I can't enjoy the meal though I only had one less than great experience last year out of 12 TS meals and it wasn't even that terrible (Le Celler). I just need a little reassuring! :thumbsup2 Thanks!!!

First off, any buffet can have a good and bad day. We had an awful experience at Tusker House and it seems you had a good one. We love Boma. Breakfast was handled better then dinner. I think it depends on the staff.

Second, if you are more comfortable, you can request for all of your food to come out of the back at a buffet. This helps with cross contamination.

I have heard good things at Boma. I mostly have had good experiences at buffets except once at 1900 Park Fare where the chef was too laid back and was telling me things were safe that I 100% knew weren't. I've also had issues at Chef Mickey's where they would not bring me things from the back that they felt were unsafe even though I knew they were and just couldn't eat them off the buffet because they were plated with problem foods. I'm allergic to peanuts but it's actually a mild allergy and I can have things with a cross contam warning but they wouldn't let me have anything dessert from the back like rice krispy treats that I had been eating all trip and many other trips. I can't have any of the ice creams they serve or most fresh fruits so I often end up with no dessert at all. At buffets I frequently end up with grilled fish or steak, salad, some kind of potato or a simple pasta dish and that's OK with me I just get a little sad when the others have dessert ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter