Build A Light Saber?

kscwgirl

Earning My Ears
Trying to find something for DH & DS to do comparable in cost to the PaP? Would this work, and where is it? DH suggested Ridemakerz and I said nooooooo.. we did that in Branson and I know better. :lmao:

I believe DTD is the only place that does this now. You used to be able to do it at DHS but when we were there 2 weeks ago it was gone from the Star Wars store

When we were there it was still at Tatooine Traders...but the above poster says it's gone. Bet that's cause it would have been easy to palm those bitty pieces, and that store is waaaaaay too crowded.

That said...I was and idiot and promised my boys we would do this. As we entered the store a kid was having his rung up. He built one of the ones from the new movies...with lights at either end...and had added colored lights and noises. It came to $85. At that point I told my boys I had made a major mistake and we couldn't afford that. Heck, just the Star Wars picture was $40.

Anyway, yes, if you have a girl doing the princess deal and want the boys to feel pampered, this has a high enough price tag that they will.

When we got home I bought the build-your-own kit at Walmart for $30 and they can make all the colors they want. I'm cheap and my kids know it, so they were fine with this. :rolleyes1

The basic light saber is $19.99 plus tax. We built one at DTD for my younger son on 4/10.

ds built one last week at tattoine traders. however it appears as if that's not always operating. while i waited with him there for dd and dh, there was no one in front of the display to help them build it. then last week(we went for two) there was a cm there with a line and line rope thingys. so after i took dd on again, dh and ds built one, as hes too short and i thought it was only fair.

in the store it's rite by the exit against the wall on the rite side.

We did this last week at DTD. DS did the light saber "It's not a sword, mom!" with one end, lights, sounds... comes with 3 "awesomely special, not available anywhere else!" chips that go in the handle that to my knowledge do nothing. The saber does collapse and can come apart for traveling. Total cost was under $23. The double sided one was like $5-6 more but really long!

My DS built his on 4/22/10 at Hollywood Studios. He was in the first Jedi Training that morning and we built a lightsaber afterwards. He did the "double" lightsaber and it was $22.95. The singles were $19.95.

Hope this helps! :cool1:

Heather

Thank goodness! I'm so glad to hear one can be built for under $25. My son will so want to do this.

That $85 price tag freaked me out! :scared1:

We just built the double sided kind at Tatooine Traders on Tuesday for $23. The kid loves it!

My boys built their lightsabers last June at DTD at the Once Upon a Toy store. We just came back from Disney last week and they still had the display up at the Tatooine Traders shop as you exit the Star Tours ride.

They cost around $20 each for the single blade. You can pick which color you want it to light up (you put a colored disc inside the handle) and it does make noise. Be warned that they are not very easy to put together. They have pictured instructions on the display, but they seemed to have left out a few steps. We asked for help from a CM for ours. Here is a picture of the display and the lightsabers my boys built. My youngest does not have the handle extended so you can see how long it is (so you know how much room you need in your suitcase to take it home)

IMG_2564-1.jpg
IMG_2562.jpg

My boys built their lightsabers last June at DTD at the Once Upon a Toy store. We just came back from Disney last week and they still had the display up at the Tatooine Traders shop as you exit the Star Tours ride.

They cost around $20 each for the single blade. You can pick which color you want it to light up (you put a colored disc inside the handle) and it does make noise. Be warned that they are not very easy to put together. They have pictured instructions on the display, but they seemed to have left out a few steps. We asked for help from a CM for ours. Here is a picture of the display and the lightsabers my boys built. My youngest does not have the handle extended so you can see how long it is (so you know how much room you need in your suitcase to take it home)

IMG_2564-1.jpg
IMG_2562.jpg

Thank you for the pictures!!:goodvibes Your sons are very cute! I am curious how old your sons are? I have a 4 year old and 2 year old grandson and if the 4 year old gets something it is a war zone if the 2 year old doesn't get the same thing. To prevent blood shed I would get them each one. Is it too heavy for a 2 year old to hold? TIA.

Bye the way, Grandma is "toy construction" challenged and will need help also.:)

The lightsaber will be too heavy for the 2-year-old to swing around, which may not be a bad thing.

We bought the lightsabers last year for my 5 1/2 year old daughter and 3 year old son. Both were used to playing with the light sabers that you can buy at almost any toy store for $8-$10, and the one from WDW is definitely much larger and heavier. That didn't stop my son from trying though, he just ended up using 2 hands, and was pretty clumsy at first. It's something he goes back to time and again to figure out how to handle it better.

The 3 colored crystals are what makes the lightsaber sounds, and each one is a different sound.

My husband and son battle with these, and they have held up pretty well.

When we were there, there was a CM who helped us build them. He would show the kids each piece, and let them pick from 2 or 3 different styles. It didn't take more than 10 minutes or so to build both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter