Bus boarding etiquette w/ wheelchair

MightyMom

DIS Veteran
What is proper bus boarding etiquette when a member of your party uses a wheelchair for mobility?

My 8 year old son uses a wheelchair and I always feel bad about boarding the bus first.

We always wait in the designated area, and the driver stops and loads us first.

Okay, so lets say there are 20 people already in line when we show up. A bus shows up 5 minutes later and proceeds to load us first.

I feel bad being loaded first because other people were waiting in line before us. Infact, I feel so bad that we have refused to sit and give those seats of others.

I guess I feel bad because I feel like half of the people in line our probably silently cursing us.

It's the same reason I prefer not to use the GAC.

So. What is the "fair" thing to do? :confused3

Here is one good idea, not official, not necessarily the best.

One adult capable of standing behind and maneuvering the wheelchair should accompany the handicapped person in the wheelchair boarding area. The rest of the family gets in the regular line provided they are accompanied by at least one adult or teen who is qualified to go off on his own in the parks.

Should it not be possible to split up the family in a manner that does not create what looks like a lost parent situation, the entire family should board with the wheelchair member.

At most two wheelchairs can be accommodated in each bus. It is necessary to use the wheelchair slots as soon as possible to avoid a situation where the first bus carries no wheelchairs and leaves one wheelchair guest behind and the second bus arrives to find three persons in wheelchairs.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

You should definitely board at the first available opportunity in my opinion, as some of the buses make multiple stops so the first one might have room for a wheel chair and the next one might not.

Most people are truly understanding, if they are not, then my philosophy is oh well, it's their problem, as long as I am following the rules and trying to be fair to others. Note also that it will take you longer to get between any two points in the theme park then it will take them, so don't feel too bad, you end up waiting for longer periods of time (including extra walking time) than they do throughout the day, even with a GAC.

There is a FAQs section about buses in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.
While it is not the 'official' word about bus boarding, I edited it from information that was written for me by 2 WDW bus drivers. I also added information from our own experiences and the experiences of many other posters to this board.

In the OP's example, the 20 people ahead of you in the line are going to get on that bus, regardless of whether the wheelchair loads before them or not.
If the people get on first and then the wheelchair is loaded, it will actually take longer to load the wheelchair because the driver needs to work around the people who are already on the bus.

Last Christmas I didnt board with my husband because I felt bad and about the third bus we rode the bus driver told him to tell me to get on with him. It was only us two. And yes we did get pulled to the front of the line and if I had sat I would take up someone elses seat since it was full busses. I chose to stand in between his legs as there is a huge space between his wheel chair and the seat. I never minded standing because I can (In fact that trip I was training for a half marathon after the park closed each day) and even if they loaded us last my husband would have gotten the same place and people sitting there would be displaced so boarding first was much safer. (He had to do some backing to get in correct)

I always helped the driver hook his wheel chair up to the strapping system so in a way I was help and the people got to load sooner. Im sure people still thought bad thoughs because we got on first and took so much time. Nothing you can do about that. Being disbeld will go with the good and bad I guess. DOnt feel guilty (I know hard to do)

It's really hard not to feel "guilty". My take on it is that a large majority of the people in line understand absolutely. We follow the bus driver's instructions - - if he tells us all to get on, we do so. Frankly, I don't look around to see what others are thinking.

Funny, but I can't remember - - are we also usually the first off the bus, or last?

We're the first on and last off. Usually by the time the CM is done getting me off of the bus the rest of the passengers are already out of sight and on their way to the entrance.

The only time I feel guilty about I ever feel guilty about boarding first is when exiting the parks at closing. At those times I'll wait in line with everyone else until I reach the last spot where I can pull off before I hit the final part of the queue. Then I'll leave the line and go over to the wheelchair boarding area. Usually I travel with just one other person, sometimes I travel solo and the most I've traveled with is two other people.

In the end I think it all works out. There have probably been times when I got on the bus before someone who has been waiting longer then I have. But there have been lots of times when I missed a bus that people arriving after then me have gotten on. Times when the lift was broken. Times when the wheelchair seating was full. Times when the bus had already started boarding when I arrived. Even a time when the bus driver didn't see me and let everyone else board then told me it was too late for me to board... I've see people run up to the bus in those situations and board and even though I had been waiting for a while they got on the bus when I wasn't able to.

Good summary, Bill!!!

What it boils down to is that it all comes out in the wash! :goodvibes

On first, off last!

Sometimes I can just sense the impatience and I keep my head down. Other times, I can sense the understanding and I see smiles. That evens out too, in the end - - more smiles than not!

it all evens out in the end.

and when those parents with a bunch of kids give you dirty looks, they should be thinking instead how blessed they are that they do not have a child in a wheelchair. (i hate sounding like that is the end of the world, but i know of almost no parent who would say, if given the option between their son walking or rolling, that they would rather have their son in a wheelchair!)

I hang back and wait my turn. I will catch the next bus if the line is more than a dozen or so people.

Since I have 2 kids in chairs most of the time by the time they are both unhooked the next bus has arrived and is unloading.

I don't think you are being unfair but I applaud you for being cognisant. We have only had one problem with DS, who is ASD but not in a wheel chair. The woman had issues with the speed in which our friend was getting our 2 kids on the bus, DH and I were on a date. She then proceeded to sit right behind my friend on the totally empty bus. :confused3 The buss driver apoligized profusely to my friend for this woman's attitude. Our friend had explained to the driver our son's needs.

To all my fellow guests who need to use wheelchair lifts on WDW buses:

Please, please, please do not feel that everyone in the bus line is "silently cursing" you!

Sometimes when I am waiting for a bus (especially in the morning on the way to a park) and a wheelchair guest needs to be loaded, I do admit I flashback to Christmas morning when I was a child and my parents insisted that we could not go downstairs until all six of us children were assembled. :hyper: :rotfl:

"Hurry up, hurry up!!" The anticipation was almost unbearable.

For a child, that is.

But now I am a grown woman with children, one of whom has a lot of challenges both physically and mentally. And WDW is our most favorite place in the entire world because it is so accommodating to our family's special needs. Your special needs include the use of a wheelchair, and the buses with lifts are there to help you come along with the rest of us that are hoofing it around our Laughing Place.

So, even though I may be bursting with excitement to get going, I am not cursing you. I'm thinking how blessed we all are to be able to share the amazing experience of WDW, each in our own unique ways.

I'm thinking how grateful I am that I can walk.

And last, but not least, I'm thinking how reassuring it is to know that when I'm an old, old woman and most likely will need to use the same lift on the busses, that I will still be able to share in the joy of visiting WDW with my family. :cloud9:

All the best,
Kathy

If you look at the Theme Park Attractions and Strategies board, you will see a lot of people expressing frustration over the WDW bus situation lately....some even complain about the time it takes to load wheelchairs (although they are generally flamed for that ;) . But I think that the root of the frustration is that there just aren't enough busses and drivers on certain routes. Anyone who may be silently cursing is actually just feeling frustration that they have been waiting so long for a bus. It's not YOU they are mad at, it is the bus system.

You know that the Disney theme parks are a highly sophisticated operation. I'm sure they have statistics on how many people take a given route on a given day, and they probably have statistics on how many of those are in wheelchairs. It is up to them to use those statistics to staff the busses so that NO ONE-wheelchair or no-has a very long wait. I think they just don't want to spend the money to do that.

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate the advice, suggestions and support.

Two years ago we had something VERY upsetting happen to us while at MGM. My stomach still turns when I think of it.

It was honestly the most ignorance my son and I have ever been exposed to.

My son was only six years old. It was Star Wars weekend, before the Jedi Academy became a fixed show. There is no "wheelchair" viewing at the show... it is standing room only.

We got there a bit late, and everyone was already gathered around the stage. My husband parked further away in the shade with our baby and I pushed my son up to the viewing area.

It was like the parting of the Red Sea. People VERY generously pushed us forward knowing my son couldn't see anything unless he was at the front of the ropes.

We made it nearly to the ropes, but a woman and her son were right in front of us. The lady next to me (she was definately from the East Coast because she had a very strong accent) told me to ask the lady in front of us to stand behind her son so I could push my son forward.

I wasn't comfortable asking her to move. So I hung back. Pretty soon all the people around me were nudging me to say something. Finally, I asked.

She turned around and said, "No". I accepted that. But the East Coast lady next to me didn't. She yelled out, " I thought this was for the kids??"

The lady in front of me must have assumed it was me because she turned around with fire shooting out of her eyes.

She started yelling at me. She was yelling some incredibly hateful things. It broke me when she said, "It's not my problem your son can't walk and mine can. I don't know why you think you deserve special treatment." She caused such a scene.

I looked down and my sweet boy had tears streaming down his face. He heard and understood everything she said.

I lost it. The tears were flowing and I told her if she didn't shut her mouth I was going to go over there and shut it for her.

A gentleman next to her took my son and pushed him to the front of the ropes.

The East Coast lady next to me hugged me and tried to calm me down. The show started.... and would you believe.... they picked my son!

If you go to the AllEars.net site and click on the Wandering the World link you can see a picture of my son fighting Darth Maul. Click on 6/5 Memories of Star Wars Weekend. That picture was taken minutes after the confrontation.

So that's why I originally asked about the proper bus boarding. I wanted to make sure I did things in the most fair and appropriate way..... I never want to experience that same horrible feeling I had that day.

Thanks

Well, you've got us. I guess out of the thousands of people who go to WDW, there will be an ignoramous or two. I wonder if that lady's son remembers the experience and if he does, does he feel like his mom, or is he ashamed?

There is a certain percentage of the population that is cruel and mean and selfish. I guess they visit Disneyworld, too. I always tell people considering visiting WDW for the first time with a wheelchair or EVC not to feel discriminated against if they are "mowed down" , or if someone stops rignt in front of them. Those rude people would be just as rude whether you were on foot, in a stroller or in an EVC.

oh my goodness, i cant believe the nerve of some people. did it not occur to the woman that she can stand directly behind her son, so your son could move up? :sad2:

i dont think it occurs to her the little things you miss by having/being a child in a wheelchair. your son will probably never be able to have dad walk on one side and mom on the other... someone has to be behind the chair to push. she is just a perfectly foul woman. :mad: remember, what goes around comes around (almost every culture believes in that - from Hinduism in the East to the Rule of 3 in the west). someday she may be stuck in a chair behind very rude tall people, and no one will bother giving her the time of day. she should have been thanking heaven that she son CAN walk and can squish to the side a bit so your boy could see...

its hard not to let foul people like that bother you, but just remember you are a bigger, better, stronger person than she could ever be.

i appreciate you wanting to learn the most considerate ways of dealing with a child in a chair. while i whole-heartedly believe that disabled kids should be given the world, i think it shows a real awareness and consideration for the world around you. i am not in a chair yet, but my body is fast declining (i am 22) so i am trying to learn about people in chairs from a "walkie" perspective...

many :grouphug: and good for you for standing up for your son. no matter what, he will know that you love him! :thumbsup2

Here's a suggestion for any educators out there: It would be great if you could add to the curriculum how to relate to people in wheelchairs, deaf people, blind people, etc. Just the other day, someone wrote to Dear Abby about going to dinner with her disabled friend, and the waiter asking her "What would she [her friend] like?" I think a lot of people are well intentioned, but don't know the appropriate thing to do or say. (Not that the lady who wouldn't move was well intentioned, but such a class might give her kid a clue.) It would be great to have disabled speakers, so students could see that they are just like them.

I wish that I could send you a magic potion that would make everything allright. No one deserves such treatment at the hands of another human being. I can only pray that the bad memory will fade and the good ones will take over. The crowd "parting like the Red Sea", the lady who hugged you and best of all; your son being chosen. Those are the memories I hope for you. Karen

I wish that I could send you a magic potion that would make everything allright. No one deserves such treatment at the hands of another human being. I can only pray that the bad memory will fade and the good ones will take over. The crowd "parting like the Red Sea", the lady who hugged you and best of all; your son being chosen. Those are the memories I hope for you. Karen

Karen

I wanted to add one last thing to the end of my story.... because although it was a terrible experience.... something wonderful also happened that day.

Much later that same evening we were dining at Hollywood and Vine. My husband and older son got up to go the restroom while me and my baby waited at the table.

I sat staring out the window..... thinking about that horrible woman. Half of me prayed I would never see her again..... the other half hoped I would meet up with her when no kids were around so I could set her straight.

Before I knew it.... my eyes filled with tears and I was trying to regain my composure when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

This older woman and her daughter (30 ish) were standing at our table. She asked if I was okay. She said she, her daughter and her grandchildren were in the crowd that morning at the Jedi Training. She said she heard everything that was happening, and she had thought of us all day. She saw us sitting across the restaurant and wanted to come over to make sure we were okay.

So.... as much as that horrible stranger left a little scar on memories.... the kindness of that woman started healing that wound immediately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter