Bus problems resolved

Talking Hands

<font color=purple><b>|,,|/</b> DEAF DISNEY LOVER<
As many of you know I have been having problems with the rule that all ECV, scooters and wheelchairs were required to back up the entrance ramp to nboard the bus. Since this is a dangerus move with my particular power wheelchair I have been arguing again this requirement for several years. I kept complaining to Guest Services. Yesterday I recieved a call from Kristen of the Executive offices informing me that no longer will this be a problem and that wheelchairs like my Jazzy with their weight centered in the middle will be allowed to board the ramped buses in a forward manner. She said that if I had not continued to press the point that they were creating a dangerous situation for users of Jazzys and other like power wheelchairs the situation would have not changed but because I was persistant they researched these wheelchairs more and changed the rule to take into consideration the type of wheelchair.

I'm glad they finally listened and have changed the rules for the better. Sometimes you need to keep on even if it seems as if you are up against a brick wall - occasionally it does bring about the much needed changes.

Sue

Amen! I had the issue resolved for my chair last year for the same reason- the manufacturer of the chair ( Permobil) stated in their manual NEVER to back onto a ramp but to always go forward. Every chair is different so to apply a blanket rule to everyone was causing an unsafe situation. I'm so glad you were persistent and got results for your type chair too! Makes me hope they have a list of chairs that should drive forward in case the bus driver can't tell where the weight is centered or whether it's a front wheel or back wheel drive chair. Kathy

Wow! I didn't know they had a rule about backing up bus ramps. Thanks for working that out. DH's chair is a Jazzy. He always complains about going downhill and it tipping forward and scaring him to death. You have managed to solve our problem before we even knew we had one! :cheer2:

Tell him to shift his weight to the back of the chair when going doing an incline. Also the anti-tip wheels can be raised or lowered. Just ask his provider to adjust them until he is comfortable. Also he will get used to the adjustments he needs to make as he gets more sued to the Jazzy. Which model did he get? Mine is the 1103 which is the smallest

It's an 1103. It also has a lift in it. The only things that bother me about it are the handles sticking out. People are constantly getting their shirts hung on them. I imagine this happens in the parks a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter