• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Busch Gardens game plan?

JenniferFolsomCa

Mouseketeer
In addition to Disneyworld, we are planning a day at Busch Gardens Tampa. Haven't been in years and my kids should be 50 inches tall by then and want to ride everything we can in one day. Can anyone recommend an order? How early to arrive? Not sure if when they say it opens at 10 if you show up at 9:50am or more like 9:30?

Plan to buy a one day ticket ahead of time and it will be late May/early June so should be busy. Not sure if Tampa schools are out then...

Any suggestions?

Jenn

I'm interested in this as well, we are going for 1 day at the beginning of May and have never been before!

If you check the Sea World/Discovery Cove forum, there are more posts about Busch Gardens.

I've been once a year for the past few years but it's been late April/early May so probably less busy than when you're planning to go. In general, I find that the rides load very slowly. Compared to the efficiency of employees at Disney/Universal/Sea World, the staff at Busch Gardens seem to move verrrrry slowly and you'll see coasters going out with empty seats instead of single riders etc. That said, the lines were longest for Cheetah Hunt and Congo River Rapids when I was there. Not all the rides open right at park opening (ie. if the park opens at 10am, Sheikra may open at 10:45, Congo River Rapids at 11:00 etc).

Not sure if this is possible for you but if you can avoid bringing a bag with you, I'd highly recommend it. Otherwise, you have to pay for lockers at each ride (though there is an option for an all-day locker, transferable from ride to ride, for $5 or something). It's not so much the cost as the time - getting a locker (and getting your stuff out after) can take a really long time. And when I was there last April, there were issues with the lockers. The system would say all lockers were full but it was because people weren't hitting 'end rental' when they were finished with the locker. There was a big crowd of people all waiting for lockers to ride Sheikra and even when someone went and found a staff member, they weren't any help.

I just realized this all sounds really negative but issues aside, I still love Busch Gardens! Cheetah Hunt and Sheikra are some of my all-time favorite coasters and it's awesome to see all the animals (and the shows are good too, it's just hard to find time to fit everything in!) Have fun!

I was just at Busch Gardens a couple weeks ago - first week of December. Their 10am opening was a hard 10 for us. And several things were not running until 11, either.

There was next to nothing for crowds. At all. I made no plan and I needed no plan. I suppose we waited a ride cycle or two for coasters where we wanted to ride the front. That insane ride (falcon something? - I've blocked it out) looked like it was a few ride cycles but it broke down right as my resolve had lowered - thank you sweet Mother.

I will say it does help to have a map or at least a general idea where you are going. I feel like we got lost in the kids section/wandered past bumper cars more than was strictly necessary.

Edit - I reread and see you are going at a busier time. But, that said, Busch Gardens busy and WDW busy are not remotely the same thing. I feel like starting early and hitting your must dos right away will ensure you see and do it all without issue.

I live about 30 minutes from BG, schools get out right before Memorial Day here so plan accordingly!!

Last day of school, May 25th, the Friday or earlier? Will check out Cheetah Hunt and then will try to get there at opening. I hope it is way less crowds!!!!

I'll check out the other board, too.

Jenn

Surrounding counties:
Hillsborough County Schools Last Day: May 25
Pasco County Schools Last Day: May 25
Pinellas County Schools Last Day: May 24
Polk County Schools Last Day: May 24
Hernando County Schools Last Day: June 1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter