Busch Gardens, Williamsburg

greenclan67

Callie35
Seriously considering a trip here this summer with our girls 12 & 14. We have platinum passes. I can get flights on SW right now for our dates for $69 each way. Any info anyone can provide. How is it? How is Water Country. Comparing it to Busch in Tampa as well.

Thanks In advance.

I have not been there in almost 17 years; but my husband and I enjoyed it a great deal at that time. Trip adviser has quite a few reviews of BG Williamsburg. And I found quite a few message boards devoted to Busch Gardens Williamsburg while I was looking for reviews for Busch Gardens Tampa. If I worked on my silly phone, I'd be able to give you some links.

We went 2 years ago, DDs now 13, 11, 8 LOVED it. We have platnium passes as well. they said they liked it more than SW and BG Tampa.I don't do roller coasters but DH and DDs do. The park has beautiful grounds. We aldo went to the water park and had a great time as well. There is also additional touristy stuff to do in Williamsburg but we were only there for the weekend.

I haven't done Water Country, but I've been to BGW a ton of times.

It's not as animal focused as BGT, which makes sense when you remember that this is themed to Europe and not Africa. They do have animals at the Highland Stables, Wolf Haven, Eagle Ridge, and Wild Reserve (and typically have photo ops with eagles, clydesdales, and various critters at Wild Reserve, plus have sheep herding exhibitions). The wolf training tour is fantastic if you have anyone in your group that loves those; an animal up close tour for various animals at the Reserve; or a clydesdale/collie tour for people into those (they're $27 each per person). They also do a combo of all 3 tours for $55.

Mach Tower wasn't open when I went last (which apparently is a common occurrence, so I wouldn't get my hopes up about riding that one), and Verbolten is new (but my mom *LOVED* it ... stay away from any info on it if you don't want the surprise ruined), but I've been on all the other coasters multiple times.

Alpengeist is like Montu; Griffon is like SheiKra; Loch Ness is kinda like Scorpion except it goes upside down twice and has shoulder harnesses. Apollo's Chariot I don't have anything to compare it to, because it's a hyper out and back, so it's just fast and lots of air time (no loops or twists) and really tall; back row for that one is a must.

Curse of DarKastle is like Spiderman; Escape from Pompeii is like Splash Mountain/Tangyankia Tidal Wave; Le Scoot is a typical log flume; Roman Rapids is like Congo/Kali/Bluto's; there are a few amusement park staples like a swinging ship (like the Phoenix at BGT but doesn't go upside down), a sandstorm ride, a music express, teacups, wave swinger, bumper cars, etc.

The biggest difference will be walking. Oh, the walking you will do. And the *HILLS*. You will definitely feel it the next day. But it's nice and shaded, so it feels cooler than it is (we typically did BG and King's Dominion when we went up there, and the days at KD just were soooo much hotter than BG), and the park is GORGEOUS. There's a reason they've been voted "Most Beautiful Theme Park" for something like 18 years in a row.

Oh, and the Land of the Dragons has a fun rope climb area, kinda like the one at BGT and SW. It's themed really cute, too, so the girls might like running through there to burn off energy if you decide to take an ice cream break during the day.

We have platinum passes to BG Williamsburg. We love it, and Water Country. BG has a lot of coasters, shows, and is a gorgeously landscaped park. Our older dd loves coasters, so she's very happy there. Our younger dd and I are less adventurous, so we enjoy Water Country more. Weekdays at either park are relatively low attendance, so not too long of a wait for anything.

I second what Jilly Bean said about the hills. If you have a Busch Gardens soda refill cup, bring it. I bring ours to SEa World and Aquatica and they always honor it.

Thx everyone. Sounds like agreat summer vacay. Just working on the hubby. Seeing as we just got home Sunday from 10 days in Florida.

BGW is awesome. It's so beautiful, trees, flowers. It's hilly, which adds to the charm (and the workout!). We had so much fun there. We stayed at Kingsmill, which was nice. We only went for three nights, two days, but I could have stayed longer. I love that whole area, lots to do and see and very pretty.

We have season passes and live down in VA Beach. It is fantastic! Don't miss the ride "Europe in the Air" and the show "Celtic Fire"
The park is absolutely GORGEOUS so take some time to really take it all in. Also, Davinci's Cradle is really underrated. It is a great ride IMO and usually has no line, or a very short one

Does anyone have any suggestions for airports, airlines that are budget to get there. Eithier going from Buffalo NY AREA or Flint, Grand Rapids, Lansing area? The best prices @$69 is to fly Southwest from Flint mi but to Baltimore MD and driving 3 hours. Thx

I love BG-Williamsburg!!! I triple what previous posters have said. My DD now 14 & 16 say they like it better than BG-Tampa-mainly because they like the theme.

You can fly into Richmond, VA and rent a car or into Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach (not sure the exact name of the airport-I've flown into there once or twice and it's very convenient).

Have a great time!

Does anyone have any suggestions for airports, airlines that are budget to get there. Eithier going from Buffalo NY AREA or Flint, Grand Rapids, Lansing area? The best prices @$69 is to fly Southwest from Flint mi but to Baltimore MD and driving 3 hours. Thx

I think Richmond is the closest airport, but not sure about budget flights there. I think flying to Baltimore could work, but just be careful with timing regarding driving through DC rush hour traffic during the week.

The flight from Flint to Baltimore gets in at 8:30 am. So we should be ok. I wish we could drive back and do a one way car rental. Thinking about the train as well. Return the car in baltimore amtrak station (if that is possible) then train is $230 for 4 of us..

We love BGW! It's our "homepark" and we average a day a week in Williamsburg for various things.

Europe in the Air was supposed to close last season. It was so fun though so we were sad.

The park is BEAUTIFUL. Enjoy!

I still have my Platinum passes that I upgraded to Platinum in 2003 to go to this park.It is one of my favorite parks anywhere,living in Florida I've been to Sea World,Busch Gardens Tampa and it's water park Adventure Island like hundreds of times but sadly I've only made it out to BGW 3 times.I love the Tampa park but the Williamsburg park is just amazing,I love the hills and trees along with it's European theme.The coasters are great,I think I liked Apollos Chariot the best but I need to go back to ride Verbolten.The park also has great shows,do they still have the Irish Thunder show,I know they stopped coming to Tampa several years ago.

Celtic Fire is the best Irish dance show I ever saw at any theme park. The Grimm show is probably the weirdest show I ever saw at any theme park. The 5 coasters are really top rides, called the Fury Five. The skyride makes a triangle loop through the park, great scenery. Enjoy.

I'm also headed to BGW this summer. Anyone have a good touring plan? Which rides have the longest? Are there places to cool off in the afternoon or should we plan to take a break at the hotel and come back in the evening?

BGW is a wonderful park. The grounds are beautiful! We are platinum passholders as well and BGW is our favorite. Saturdays are typically the busiest. Sundays and weekdays are very pleasant in the park with little to no wait times for rides. I haven't been to the water park at BG-Tampa but we have been to Aquatica. I like Aquatica much better than Water Country in Williamsburg but it is just personal preference. Both parks are enjoyable.

If you are looking for accommodations, I recommend the Historic Powhattan Resort (owned by Diamond Resorts). Its featured on Groupon quite a bit and you can also catch a decent rate on Hotels.com. The condos are very nice and affordable...the pool area is lovely as well. There is mini-golf and other daily activities. It is not very far from the parks, about a 10 minute drive. There is a Country Inn and Suites on Pocohontas Trail, just outside BG but it is a standard hotel room. There are many restaurants in the area. Astronomical Pancake House is delicious! Shopping is great too. There are outlet malls and the a HUGE yankee candle factory!

Have a great time!!!

I'm also headed to BGW this summer. Anyone have a good touring plan? Which rides have the longest? Are there places to cool off in the afternoon or should we plan to take a break at the hotel and come back in the evening?

You really don't need a touring plan. This place is nowhere near as crazy as WDW. Don't overplan for this. There are plenty of air conditioned places to take a break during the day, the shows are fantastic.

BGW is a wonderful park. The grounds are beautiful! We are platinum passholders as well and BGW is our favorite. Saturdays are typically the busiest. Sundays and weekdays are very pleasant in the park with little to no wait times for rides. I haven't been to the water park at BG-Tampa but we have been to Aquatica. I like Aquatica much better than Water Country in Williamsburg but it is just personal preference. Both parks are enjoyable.

If you are looking for accommodations, I recommend the Historic Powhattan Resort (owned by Diamond Resorts). Its featured on Groupon quite a bit and you can also catch a decent rate on Hotels.com. The condos are very nice and affordable...the pool area is lovely as well. There is mini-golf and other daily activities. It is not very far from the parks, about a 10 minute drive. There is a Country Inn and Suites on Pocohontas Trail, just outside BG but it is a standard hotel room. There are many restaurants in the area. Astronomical Pancake House is delicious! Shopping is great too. There are outlet malls and the a HUGE yankee candle factory!

Have a great time!!!

I second Powhatan Plantation. We stay there every trip we take, and it's wonderful. If you get a first floor room you get your own hot tub :)

Have a great time!!!

This is where we were looking to book for our stay! We have an awesome timeshare owner we use for Grande Villas in Florida, he quoted me $320 US for 2 nights in a 2 bdrm. Looking forward to it. I wish we could drive it from Northern Ontario, but just to far.

If you get a first floor room you get your own hot tub :)

I have never stayed there but according to their website this is no longer completely true -

Please note that, with the exception of the 2 Bedroom Deluxe Ground floor and the 4 Bedroom Deluxe Lock-off accommodations, the hot tubs previously offered in all accommodations are no longer available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter