Busch Gardens--Worth it?

AR81

DIS Veteran
We'll be spending a week at disney and universal. Is it worth the drive to tampa to also visit Busch Gardens? Exactly how long will it take to driver there? We would want to get there when it opens which means we would be driving during rush hour. Any advice?

Oh god yes. This is one of our favorite parks. So many great rides and great animals. We did it a couple of weeks ago, took one and a quarter hours at that time of day, got there before ropedrop at 9.30AM.

Here's another vote to go. One of our favorite parks. We also find the ride to be about an hour and a quarter.

I have a 5 year old that loves animals. So I know he would have fun on that part. But from looking at the website it looks like most of the rides(coasters)are for big kids. Is there a kiddie section so to speak with smaller rides as well? Thanks

I have a 5 year old that loves animals. So I know he would have fun on that part. But from looking at the website it looks like most of the rides(coasters)are for big kids. Is there a kiddie section so to speak with smaller rides as well? Thanks

Not sure about rhino Rally BUT
The following I think he could ride
-Safari
-Jungula (huge jungle play area)
-Stanley Falls (log Flume)
-Land of teh Dragons (small kid play area)
- The kiddy ride in Timbuktu
- The Train
- The Sky Ride
Those with ALL the MANY MANY Animals adn shows I think he would be more than fine!

We went for a 3 day weekend back in March and we had a ball. Lots of fun and the animal exhibits are spread throughout the park. The Jungala area is an awesome area for kids. Read our trip report (link in our signature below).

There is a lot of stuff for the kids to do, including Land of the Dragons and Jungala which are specifically for the kids. Some rides in Timbuktu may work as well. I have found that any age from 3-70 can have a nice time at the park from personal experience.

BTW, as for the rush hour concern from the original poster, I wouldn't worry too much about it - its not that bad IMO. If you really want to cut around it, look on Mapquest and take 56th Street south from Fowler Ave and turn right on Seneca Dr./Druid Hills Dr. which is a residential street but will take you straight to Busch Gardens the back way.

We'll be spending a week at disney and universal. Is it worth the drive to tampa to also visit Busch Gardens? Exactly how long will it take to driver there? We would want to get there when it opens which means we would be driving during rush hour. Any advice?

Coming from Orlando plan about 11/2 hour to get there. You will take I-4 to I-75 North ( Ocala). Stay in the far right lane of I-75 because it will be the first exit off of I-75 North of I-4.( only about a mile on I-75) The exit is the main exit to get to University of South Florida. It is Fowler road exit. Don't remember the exit number. Go West( to the left) on Fowler. You will go past the Museum of Science and Industry and continue West to the college. There will be big signs for Busch Gardens at McKinley Street.(college is on right. There are 2 lanes turning left so get into the farthest left turn lane. Can't remember if Mckinley is 4 laned or still a 2 lane road after the railroad track. Mckinley will take you right to the parking lot for BG just follow the signs.

We get there for opening and have never had a problem with morning drive time traffic so it must not be bad in that area.

BG is definitely a great park. It is our favorite in Florida. There is something there for all ages. It is a huge park so there will be lots of walking. During summer they have special things like bands etc at night. If there near a holiday they have great fireworks!

We usually get there for opening and close the park. During the heat of summer we plan a leisurely meal at the colony House requesting window table so we can watch the giraffes etc. while we eat. It gives us a long rest out of the sun,good meal, and time for my family to just talk about everything while we eat. The restaurant is worth the price. They do have a family chicken dinner that is a little less expensive and very good. I always feel like my shorts and tee are too casual for such a beautiful restaurant but that is the attire of everyone in there. It will make you feel special.

Have you gotten the all you can eat wristband? We're thinking about doing that, so that if we take the shuttle, we don't have to worry about meals while there. We figure we'll stay well hydrated too, if drinks are unlimited.

Can I do it all in 1 day or do I need 2? I am pregnant so I can't go on all the rides, but I'll be with my 6 year old who is as slow as molasses! Does anyone have a ride list with height restricitons so I can figure out how many rides she can go on? My parents and my hubby will be there also so they can take her.

Any thoughts?

Jenn

The one thing I always say about Tampa area is" It is just so much hotter than here on the East coast and it always seems hotter there than at the Orlando parks. " There is a lot of walking to get from one section of the park to the other . Doing just the shows and seeing the animals you should be able to do a lot in 1 day if you are there from opening to close. But you won't be able to do it all. There are 2 areas your child will love because he can play and do things made exclusively for kids. If he likes animals it can take quite a while to watch and learn about all the different animals.

Being pregnant can take a tole on you, too so you might enjoy some down time. Check out the web page. Figure out the things you and your son might want to do. There are feeding times for the hippos and gators that are actually kid of cool. With the chimps, we can stand for a good long time and just watch their antics if they are active. Sometimes the chimps come up to the windows to check out their "kid friends" too. That is always fun. The walk to see the lions etc can take an hour or more if you take time to watch. There is the train, the sky ride, and Rhino Rally to see the animals, too and we always do all of them. There is an animal nursery, an aviary where you can feed the birds, and a petting zoo area. There are snakes and bats and crocs, and gators, and lions, and tigers, and kangaroos, and so many animals in every section of the park so you want to make sure to go to all sections.

The one thing I always say about Tampa area is" It is just so much hotter than here on the East coast and it always seems hotter there than at the Orlando parks. "

Must be bad luck, Average temps in Tampa are 2 degrees lower in the summer than Average in Orlando.

I just got back from there and it's definitely worth it!

I was down visiting my Dad (he just moved to the Tampa Area in December) and it's been 20 years since I've been to BG. I took my DDs and they loved it - great coasters, wonderful animals, great areas to relax and great food.

Now, my DDs want to go in November and go to SW and then to BG - neither mentioned Disney at all!

I am glad your family had a great time!! I have already made up my mind and making time for it. Doesn't seem like that bad of a drive and as much as my son loves animals it's going to be a must-do!!

Here's another big yes!! We were there last Friday and loved it! It's a huge, beautiful park with plenty of things the little ones would love, like someone else said. My daughter and I did the Serengeti Safari and were so glad we did this. We were able to hand feed the giraffes and pet them and then they took us through an up close and personal safari through the rest of the plains. It was a wonderful experience and it is about 34.00 each, but I highly recommend it. Not sure if there's an age limit for that though.

There are many animals and their habitats are beautifully recreated. I think you'll have a lovely time there!:thumbsup2

Must be bad luck, Average temps in Tampa are 2 degrees lower in the summer than Average in Orlando.

Live in Florida, go many times a year, but summer days in Tampa at BG seem muggier than summer days on the east coast or Orlando theme parks even if the temp is 2 degrees cooler. Just my opinion....I find myself wearing damp paper towels around my neck trying to cool down at BG more than I do anywhere. <g> Of course it does not stop me from going to my favorite park in Florida.

A little bit off topic but has anyone taken the Busch Gardens Shuttle from Orlando ? If so, where/what time does it leave? What time does it pick up at BG to come home? We are going in August and I would like to take my son, but we don't have a car!!!

Also, do you need to make restaurant reservations before you go? And is there some sort of unlimited food/drink wrist band?
Thanks guys!
Debsx:goodvibes

A little bit off topic but has anyone taken the Busch Gardens Shuttle from Orlando ? If so, where/what time does it leave? What time does it pick up at BG to come home? We are going in August and I would like to take my son, but we don't have a car!!!

I am also wondering about this?

Also, do you need to make restaurant reservations before you go? And is there some sort of unlimited food/drink wrist band?
Thanks guys!
Debsx:goodvibes

We took the shuttle from Sea World to Busch and they had two different departure times, at 9:00 and 9:15. I believe they pick up from a couple of other spots as well. Their website will also give you information for this,

https://secure.mearstransportation.com/MearsExpress/BuschGardens.asp.

If you purchase a multi-park pass, the transport is free. Otherwise it's only 10.00 each. Hope this helped!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter