• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"But didn't you go less than a year ago?" YES!! Is that a problem??

BabyBelle1

Earning My Ears
We just can't seem to stay away!! I don't need to make excuses here, though... I think everyone here knows how we feel!!

Soooo..... Submitted for your approval: My very first pre-trip report!!

Who are "WE"?

Me: Tamara - Chief Executive Planner. As we all know, planning is half the fun! What better distraction from reality?? I mean, as long as one can continue to be a productive member of society and doesn't neglect reality to the expense of basic necessities of life for themselves and those for which they are responsible... most of the time ;)

I'm a busy busy single mother of 2 awesome and amazing kids (I know, everyone says that. But, mine really are! :rolleyes1 ) I'm a Pathologist Assistant for a very busy pathology lab which serves about 10 hospitals/surgery centers and several dermatology and gastro-interology clinics. That basically means I dissect surgical specimen to find, document & submit sections for the M.D.s to diagnose or rule out malignancies. Also means I don't get to talk about my day over dinner :rolleyes:

I have absolutely NO help from my ex-husband.. He hasn't even tried to see my kids in almost 5 years :sad2: I do get a lot of help from my parents, though! :thumbsup2
In very much need of a break from reality, I started planing this trip in February. Last year, I kept our trip a complete surprise until just before going through security at the airport. It was great! While they loved the surprise, the kids asked that I not keep the next trip a secret.

Sooooooo.....
THE KIDS:

Kamryn (13): Getting ready to go into 7th grade in the Magnet (Honors) program at her school. This is a HUGE deal because Ryn was diagnosed with Autism at age 3. She definitely has her issues.. significantly socially impaired, decreased receptive language perception, anxiety.. But she's a quirky, happy little savant. She can tell you what day of the week you were born on and what she did on any given day in the last 10 years. Her brain is absolutely amazing!

Ian (11): A very funny, also quirky guy... He is diagnosed with Autism, as well. Ian's case is milder than his sister's, but he actually has more difficulties than her, for various reasons. He's more like Asperger's, but with the physical issues usually associated with classic Autism. He didn't speak a word until he was almost 5 years old, but, even though he has a very noticeable impediment, hasn't shut up since :) And I don't care, because I know how lucky we are :love:

Things are a little complicated between the 2 of them: Kamryn is under-sensitive and CRAVES the stimulation of all the lights, sounds, smells, crowds & craziness... Ian is over-sensitive, so those same things cause him stress & anxiety which can easily lead to major melt-down.

This will be their 6th trip, and surprisingly, they have made significant improvements with each visit. My daughter asked her first original question at age 6, "Where Kamin's red car?" while we were looking for our rental in the parking lot at EPCOT & Ian became completely potty trained on the same trip, just before turning 4. There's just something about all of that stimulation that fulfills a need for her, and desynthesizes him with a sort-of "exposure therapy" so tolerable, because, well, it's DISNEY WORLD!

And finally,

Carlie (13): This last year at school, Kamryn has made some really sweet friends. She has a way of attracting the nice little nurturing type kids. One of these is Carlie. Very tolerant and understanding, she gets along very well with both of my kids. I'm very happy she's coming along with us! This will be her first trip since she was 5 years old and she is very very excited! Kamryn & Ian tend to feed off each other sometimes, and when they spend too much time with themselves, they can get into major "stim wars" (if you know autism, you know what I mean) I predict Carlie will balance them out enough to prevent that to a degree!

Ok, sooooo.... now you know the "who"

The "when":
July 19 - 26th

We leave at 7pm on Thursday in 2 weeks! I work until 5pm that day.. I'll be changing from my scrubs into vacation clothes and meeting everyone else at the airport 10 minutes from work!

The "where":

Well, we've actually decided to take our very first venture to the dark side on this trip!! So for the "Disney-purists", just scroll down past the talk of Universal :rotfl:

Night 1: Hilton Garden Inn, Lake Mary
We got an amazingly low rate with Allegiant (direct flight $160 RT total each - Kids so happy to NOT be driving 2 hours to fly Southwest) However, Allegiant flys to Sanford, so NO Magical Express :sad1: Which necessitates a rental car... and that's how the "we may as well go to Un*v**sal" came into play!!
We're staying here the first night for various reasons, one being I don't want to pay $300 for hotel& benefits I won't be able to fully utilize!

Nights 2 &3: Universal's Portofino Bay Hotel
I did the math and realized the benefits of purchasing an annual pass, so I was able to book a bay view room for $259/nt :woohoo:

Nights 4-7: Contemporary Resort - MK view tower room
I booked a package including 5 day park hoppers & the dining plan for 4 "adults" for slightly under $4000.:eek: Ehhh... Whatever... The kids have wanted to stay here forever, and I figured that since it's just be 4 nights...
I did get the "late summer savings" that I think took 30% off the room.

And on to what many of us plan our entire trip around... The AR's! :yay:

At Universal:
Friday 7/20 6:30pm - Mythos @Islands of Adventure
Saturday 7/21 6:60pm - The Kitchen @Hard Rock Hotel

At Disney:
Sunday 7/22 6:25pm - Whispering Canyon
We haven't been here since 2006. I'm not big on meat & BBQ, so I'm hoping someone can tell me something about the other entrees like the pork tenderloin or the pasta dish! The kids should LOVE the antics!! I hope we get a good server (recommendations for suggestions, please!) because my kids LOVE silly nonsense!

Monday 7/23 10:30am - Chef Mickey's
We've had dinner here 2x, most recently in 2009. It was ok. We're looking forward to taking the elevator downstairs to breakfast and jumping on a monorail afterward.

Monday 7/23 2:50pm - Le Cellier
Obviously capitalizing on the one DP credit lunch for an early dinner. We ate dinner here in early 2006 and it was very very good. I'm looking forward to this one!

Tuesday 7/24 7:15 - La Hacienda de San Angel
First time here, hoping to get a table on the water for a view of IllumiNations

Wednesday 7/25 6:30pm - Yak & Yeti
Also a first time, we're all looking forward to this one!

OK!! Sooo... I have put together some more details, but, well, I'm tired of typing and you're probably tired of reading (that is, if you've actually gotten this far) Those details will come another day ;)

I'm up for suggestions!! Tell me what you think!!!

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. I have had the pasta at whispering canyon where we went in august 09 (the dining report link is in my sig), I don't know if they changed it. I'm usually too full from the milkshake to care about the food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter