• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buy another resort or add on to current

swaysui

Earning My Ears
Just got back from our latest trip. Had a wonderful time. First time to copper creek and we loved, loved, loved Copper Creek. Given DVC seems like a buyers market right now with the economy and no AP in sight. thought about it being a good time to add more points with minimal ROFR. However also thought about maybe getting a Poly contract. I guess what would sway our decision is how hard is it to get poly at 7 months if we ever wanted it. Any advice is much appreciated.

Just got back as well. We own CCV but we’re able to grab a Poly at the 7mth mark so stayed there instead. Loved it! But also missed our usual CCV. We specifically bought bc we love Xmas time there and the overall resort. So for the first time actually trying Poly at 7mth, it seemed fairly easy to secure.

Depends on the time and length of travel. If you're looking for 7 nights in December, you may have to be on time for it. Other times, it seems pretty easy. That said, if Poly2 comes in at the same association, it might change availability for the original studios at 7 months.

I’m never stayed at poly but I hear nothing but good things. How does it compare to CCV

I’m never stayed at poly but I hear nothing but good things. How does it compare to CCV
I’m assuming you’re asking about the resorts themselves, since booking was already covered 😉

We own at Poly & have often visited the idea of owning at WL… so, I understand the draw for both. 😍 They are very different!! First off- at CCV (nearly) everything is under one roof (lobby, restaurants, gift shop, your room, laundry room, walkway to/& inc the bus stop); while at Poly things are more spread out with no covered walkways (main house inc lobby, restaurants, gift shop & monorail platform… longhouses contain your rooms & the laundry room might be in a different longhouse!). Both resorts have very good dining options, but they are quite different from one another… I personally give the edge to the WL.

The rooms themselves are wildly different from each other too!! CCV studios are among the smallest DVC rooms (with a small bathroom with 1 sink), while Poly’s are among the largest (with a huge “split bath” inc two showers & 2 sinks). However, unless we dive into cabin vs bungalow… there are no other categories to compare- if you buy into Poly (as it currently stands), you need to like staying in studios. 😉

Both resorts have nice quiet pools, and the feature pools are fun. 🤩 Poly has a beach, and WL has nice lagoon-view outdoor seating… fantastic spots to chill. WL definitely has the Lodge vibe going for it, and Poly has a fun Tiki vibe. Both are fantastic!! Poly has much better fireworks viewing, and -of course- there’s dole whip 😋🥰

I’m assuming you’re asking about the resorts themselves, since booking was already covered 😉

We own at Poly & have often visited the idea of owning at WL… so, I understand the draw for both. 😍 They are very different!! First off- at CCV (nearly) everything is under one roof (lobby, restaurants, gift shop, your room, laundry room, walkway to/& inc the bus stop); while at Poly things are more spread out with no covered walkways (main house inc lobby, restaurants, gift shop & monorail platform… longhouses contain your rooms & the laundry room might be in a different longhouse!). Both resorts have very good dining options, but they are quite different from one another… I personally give the edge to the WL.

The rooms themselves are wildly different from each other too!! CCV studios are among the smallest DVC rooms (with a small bathroom with 1 sink), while Poly’s are among the largest (with a huge “split bath” inc two showers & 2 sinks). However, unless we dive into cabin vs bungalow… there are no other categories to compare- if you buy into Poly (as it currently stands), you need to like staying in studios. 😉

Both resorts have nice quiet pools, and the feature pools are fun. 🤩 Poly has a beach, and WL has nice lagoon-view outdoor seating… fantastic spots to chill. WL definitely has the Lodge vibe going for it, and Poly has a fun Tiki vibe. Both are fantastic!! Poly has much better fireworks viewing, and -of course- there’s dole whip 😋🥰
Thank you for the summary! Super helpful.

I have 125 at CCV

How many are you planning on buying? Do you want to get another trip out of the other points? Do you want/or mind split stays?

Is 125 enough for a trip/complete stay for you? Do you reserve a studio and do you always see yourself booking a studio for your future?

If you said 150-200 - I might consider another resort but with 125, I personally would probably add on at the same resort.

We own at two resorts - 260 (OKW) and 200 (BCV). This is great and works for us. We can get two or more complete stays.

(My two sons have small SSR contracts. We try to go together with one, two or three of my kids (and their families). Sometimes we invite friends. It's nice to be at the same resort, but it gets tricky since we cannot combine all ours and their points until the 7 month resort. It does not happen too often but when it does, I wish both or at least one of my sons owned at one of my resorts.)

Good luck deciding and happy planning. Let us know what you decide :)

I own at multiple resorts….

they all offer different highlights and I plan different trips around them….

it’s actually a lot of fun it makes “going to the same place” different ….

what I would recommend not doing is having multiple resort but needing to use all of them to get a ’’normal’ vacation at one resort …..

it can be done, but if you have to book a spilt stay at the 11 month window that try to find what you want at 7 months or wait list…. It becomes less fun….

unless You enjoy split stays then that might work

The majority of our points are at CCV (and BRV), as we love the Wilderness Lodge, but we also added on points at AKV (our second largest amount) and smaller amounts at RIV, PVB, and SSR (as well as HHI, but that's outside of WDW), as there are things we like about each of those resorts. And while when we come to Disney we usually spend most of our time at CCV/BRV or AKV, or split between the two, we are often in larger accommodations. As we tend to arrive late in the evening (we fly out after school/work), I usually loathe to spend the points on a 1BR/2BR/3BR on that first night or two because we won't get in till 10pm or later. So we make use of studios at RIV and PVB for the first couple of nights, then CCV/BRV or AKV for the remainder. Usually. SSR is mostly sap, but also Treehouses for peak times, and sometimes we might choose a resort based on our plans: for examples, RIV for Food & Wine Festival. In May, we are staying at Polynesian for the 5 days we are there because we are doing Keys to the Kingdom and the Flower & Garden Festival, so it's location was ideal for the two parks we planned on doing. We had also stayed at both CCV/BRV, RIV, and AKV several times in 2022, so doing something different for our May trip seemed like a good plan! :)

So... if you don't mind split stays, OR you have enough points at CCV that buying more points at a second resort gives you that home priority but won't interfere with your intended travel plans, I say go for it! That said, PVB is usually fairly easy to get at 7 months, unless you are traveling in peak times.

At least you have a decent amount of points. The thing I enjoy about having more points at the first place we purchased is having more flexibility for bigger rooms. I also don’t have to bank and borrow as much and can piece together other 7 months stay with a little more flexibility.

How many are you planning on buying? Do you want to get another trip out of the other points? Do you want/or mind split stays?

Is 125 enough for a trip/complete stay for you? Do you reserve a studio and do you always see yourself booking a studio for your future?

If you said 150-200 - I might consider another resort but with 125, I personally would probably add on at the same resort.

We own at two resorts - 260 (OKW) and 200 (BCV). This is great and works for us. We can get two or more complete stays.

(My two sons have small SSR contracts. We try to go together with one, two or three of my kids (and their families). Sometimes we invite friends. It's nice to be at the same resort, but it gets tricky since we cannot combine all ours and their points until the 7 month resort. It does not happen too often but when it does, I wish both or at least one of my sons owned at one of my resorts.)

Good luck deciding and happy planning. Let us know what you decide :)
I would also add on at your current resort. You say you love it so you would generally be happy staying there. I am not sure what your family /friend situation is but with 125 you are not going to be real flexible on accommodations. You may want to do a 1 or 2 bedroom at some point. Having all your points in one pool (at least until you can comfortably manage whatever type of trips you want to plan) makes life easier.

Add on to your current resort, book it at 11 months, then switch at 7 if you see something else you would prefer to do for that trip.

Last edited:
My thought on my initial purchase is I should buy enough points for a one week stay in a one bedroom for the highest point period I plan to go. So I looked at the point charts for the 6 resorts I would not mind staying in and arrived at an initial purchase of 250 points. That is more than enough for most weeks/resorts and I can bank or borrow for the weeks it is not

If I was to make a second purchase I have no idea what my strategy would be

My approach is to add-on at my current resort (BLT). New and shiny things will (and have) come along since I got in to BLT in 2011, but I trust the extensive analysis/reflection I did back then when I really dedicated the time to think about it- over the razzle/dazzle marketing of today. Hope we see a BLT II at some point though.

My one exception would be possibly building a small position out at DLH too. Really depends on whether my sister's family ends up staying in LA though (some talk of coming back East).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter