Buy Direct Points Received

Kim00188

Earning My Ears
Hello! I am considering buying Old Key West direct. I was going to wait until March to purchase since I do not anticipate going on another trip until March 2021. However, when speaking to a guide he stated that I would only get 2020 points if I waited until March to buy. However, if I purchased before the New Year I would get 2019 points as well. So, with an October Use Year I would have to borrow points from October 2020 to use them right away? Is that accurate or a scare tactic to get me to buy right now? Thank you!

Hello! I am considering buying Old Key West direct. I was going to wait until March to purchase since I do not anticipate going on another trip until March 2021. However, when speaking to a guide he stated that I would only get 2020 points if I waited until March to buy. However, if I purchased before the New Year I would get 2019 points as well. So, with an October Use Year I would have to borrow points from October 2020 to use them right away? Is that accurate or a scare tactic to get me to buy right now? Thank you!
I would say a scare tactic. I haven’t heard about a policy change yet. You should get all the available UY points. Now it’s possible they might not have points (or be willing to sell an October UY) but that would be more a supply issue then a policy change. Perhaps he wasn’t aware you want an October UY or he is just uninformed and thinks the points are calendar year (you’d be amazed the guides lack of knowledge).

I would say a scare tactic. I haven’t heard about a policy change yet. You should get all the available UY points. Now it’s possible they might not have points (or be willing to sell an October UY) but that would be more a supply issue then a policy change. Perhaps he wasn’t aware you want an October UY or he is just uninformed and thinks the points are calendar year (you’d be amazed the guides lack of knowledge).
Thank you for your response. He said October use year for the number of points I want was available. That’s why I am concerned it is a scare tactic because I would rather wait a couple of months to buy.

Thank you for your response. He said October use year for the number of points I want was available. That’s why I am concerned it is a scare tactic because I would rather wait a couple of months to buy.
Yeah I would expect that it isn't a policy change (else he should be able to tell you a deadline to have to buy by to get the 2019 points), but the scare tactic. Now in March they might not have the points but again that's a supply issue.

They cannot change that policy. The points are legally yours. This is real estate. There were rules and they can't just make stuff up.

They cannot change that policy. The points are legally yours. This is real estate. There were rules and they can't just make stuff up.
It wasn't their points yet. It was about if buying a new contract. I would assume DVC could start selling "stripped" contracts if they wanted to at any point, what really prevents them from doing so (I imagine, it would be an agreement of sale, plenty of real estate is sold with use restrictions or delayed occupancy for example)? Asking out of curiosity.

Though as I stated I doubt there has been any change as this would muddy up the sale process for DVC and would be delaying getting people into the parks (and hurt their advantage over the resale market). With the before New Year statement makes me think the guide was new or misinformed and assigning UY to a calendar year cycle.

Yeah I would expect that it isn't a policy change (else he should be able to tell you a deadline to have to buy by to get the 2019 points), but the scare tactic. Now in March they might not have the points but again that's a supply issue.

Could the guide have been alluding to this? They have an Oct UY right now with the points? But waiting might not get you what you want?

If I were OP, I’d call back and ask that specific question to have the guide explain why the purchase in March wouldn’t come with 2019 points since it would still be a 2019 UY for October

I would assume DVC could start selling "stripped" contracts if they wanted to at any point, what really prevents them from doing so (I imagine, it would be an agreement of sale, plenty of real estate is sold with use restrictions or delayed occupancy for example)? Asking out of curiosity.

It's like with resale, not selling a contract that has an active reservation. Or, for that matter, when they sold Riviera - while it was sold in advance, points were not available until inception, and dues were not paid until resort open. If Disney took to selling stripped contracts, I would expect similar. It would be something of a rip-off at direct prices.

I think either the rep was trying to create fear/doubt, the rep was just wrong, or OP may have misunderstood, as much of the buying process is weird and easily misunderstood, especially if the rep crossed into either the FUD or wrong territories at any point.

I emailed my guide and asked why I would not be able to get October 2019 Use Year points if I bought in March vs now assuming they have the inventory then. This was his response:

"You might be able to get them. Again, can't stress enough, it is just a matter of what we have at the time you buy and what the price is at the time and when you want to use the points"

So I have concluded it was a tactic to try to get me to buy right now vs. a couple of months from now.

I emailed my guide and asked why I would not be able to get October 2019 Use Year points if I bought in March vs now assuming they have the inventory then. This was his response:

"You might be able to get them. Again, can't stress enough, it is just a matter of what we have at the time you buy and what the price is at the time and when you want to use the points"

So I have concluded it was a tactic to try to get me to buy right now vs. a couple of months from now.
I would take that specific quote to mean they simply might not have October 2019 points in March thus won’t sell you a October UY then actually (DVC won’t sell without the current UY points). Though if the points are available they will sell it to you.

When we bought direct as new members in October, we specified what UY we wanted and that contract that came up for us was then changed (original was Feb, we changed to Aug).

So if you bought today, you'd get 2019 points, you'd pay prorated fees from Oct to Dec 2019, and then can bank them.

If you waited till March, then yeah, only get 2020 points, but then that would be prorated from Mar - Dec 2020.

Buy now, you'd get x amount points for only 5 months of fees = (3 months this year and then 2 months for Jan + Mar 2020 that you would have otherwise waited out).

Also, "So, with an October Use Year I would have to borrow points from October 2020 to use them right away? Is that accurate or a scare tactic to get me to buy right now? Thank you!"

No, you'd get 2019 that you could use right away and then in Oct get your 2020 points to use.

We bought in Oct 2019, 1st "welcome home" trip using 2019 points is in 16 days.

That's my understanding anyway and I hope that makes sense?

If you waited till March, then yeah, only get 2020 points, but then that would be prorated from Mar - Dec 2020.
This is only true if you bought a February or March UY. Any other use year would get 2019 points (when bought in March 2020), if DVC has the points available (for sold out resorts). For active resorts (Riviera and aulani) they will sell any UY and have the points you just need to push back

gotcha, thanks! Is that what the OP is having an issue with then? And I totally missed the entire point as a result of my misunderstanding?

They can change UY on points now. The key would be they'd need to have a contract that could have October 2019 points if they had to move the UY on something they had in hand.

Okay, I think it was just letting you know that come March, if they don’t still have a contract with 2019 points, then you won’t be able to buy an Oct UY.

Since you are looking at a sold out resort, what they have changes so what is available today could be gone come March.

I am not sure it was a scare tactic but more of a way of just letting you know that even though an Oct UY would be eligible for 2019 points in March as those would be current UY points, they can’t sell you that UY if they don’t have the 2019 points to give you.

I bought 250 points on 11/30/19 with a Dec. UY.

We got the 250 2018 UY points and banked them the same day. But, it wasn't a "sold out" resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter