Buyer Beware on ShopDisney

DisArmyWife215

Mouseketeer
After my recent fiasco on ShopDisney I thought I'd warn everyone I can, DO NOT buy from ShopDisney using a Disney Gift Card!

I researched before I made my purchase and saw some negative reviews about ShopDisney and chalked it up to a bad one time experience here or there. Sorry for them but I'm sure it won't happen to me. I was wrong! Before I made my purchase I even called to ask them about getting a refund if you purchased with a gift card. The phone rep told me we will issue you a new gift card since most people don't keep their old ones. Ok, sounds safe enough, after all I've had Disney refund credits to gift cards so it should be fine.

Ordered my items and didn't like the shirts when they came in. Dropped them in the mail the very next day, as some of the negative reviews claimed their issue was the return not received in time and that wasn't gonna happen to me. After nearly 2 weeks I got an email saying I had been issued a "ShopDisney.com Online Merchandise Credit". What? That's not a gift card!

I called and spoke to 2 different reps, one "supervisor" (yeah right) and all of them kept saying we did issue you a gift card. Uhm, no you didn't. A credit I can only use on your site is NOT a gift card that I can use for anything at the parks, restaraunts, etc. if at Disney World. I fired off an email and got the run around again from 2 other employees and have finally given up. I'll just use the credit and NEVER use ShopDisney again.

So BEWARE if using ShopDisney. 1st they could care less about providing any level of actual service. I get treated better and any chain store I make a return at and 2nd the will not refund any money to a Disney Gift Card so just don't use them. They also require a credit card even if the gift card covers the purchase fully. All seems a little too fishy to me.

You've been warned! Don't do like me and ignore negative reviews as one time deals, ShopDisney stinks!

Unfortunately, this seems like common sense. They are not going to send you a gift card back... that costs them money. Adding value to your account is the same thing to them as handing you a gift card even though you don't think it is. Amazon does this as well.

Unfortunately, this seems like common sense. They are not going to send you a gift card back... that costs them money. Adding value to your account is the same thing to them as handing you a gift card even though you don't think it is. Amazon does this as well.
It may seem like semantics but a shopping card is not a gift card. They can just as easily issue an eGift Card for Disney, which they do sell on their site; and it would cost them nothing. The difference here is they are limiting my "money" be used to their site. In the past I've had Disney World cast members refund gift card balances, i.e. refund for room discount to a gift card. It's fairly common practice at Disney, that's why they tell you hold onto your gift cards until you know you don't need it. Should be no different here and I wouldn't have expected it if I hadn't been told by their reps I would get a gift card refund. Unacceptable. Just my thoughts.

It may seem like semantics but a shopping card is not a gift card. They can just as easily issue an eGift Card for Disney, which they do sell on their site; and it would cost them nothing. The difference here is they are limiting my "money" be used to their site. In the past I've had Disney World cast members refund gift card balances, i.e. refund for room discount to a gift card. It's fairly common practice at Disney, that's why they tell you hold onto your gift cards until you know you don't need it. Should be no different here and I wouldn't have expected it if I hadn't been told by their reps I would get a gift card refund. Unacceptable. Just my thoughts.

I see where your coming from, but I would think it completely different then Parks and Resorts as I'm sure (could be wrong) SHOPdisney doesn't fall into that same corporate bucket. Yes one company, but many different arms that don't interact. ShopDisney wants your money to stay on ShopDisney.

Can't you just buy a gift card on the website if that is what you want. Seems more logical.

I am not trying to give them a free pass, but there could be a loss prevention reason why they don't offer that right away. I work for a retail store and we have someone almost every day trying to pull something.

I work retail too, and we can do a return to a gift card, but it has to be the gift card you used. We don't send you a new one.

Do you still have the gift card you made the original purchase with? If not, maybe that is the confusion.

Can't you just buy a gift card on the website if that is what you want. Seems more logical.
Nope. You can’t buy a gift card with a gift card which how they code, maybe wrong term, their merchandise credit. Trust me I looked into that :)

I work retail too, and we can do a return to a gift card, but it has to be the gift card you used. We don't send you a new one.

Do you still have the gift card you made the original purchase with? If not, maybe that is the confusion.
Yes I still have it. It’s one I plan to use at Disney Parks when we travel in a few weeks. So that’s why it’s extra frustrating, cause I specifally asked and their phone rep told me I’d get a new gift card cause people don’t keep theirs normally.

I am not trying to give them a free pass, but there could be a loss prevention reason why they don't offer that right away. I work for a retail store and we have someone almost every day trying to pull something.
Trust me I get it, I worked retail for a decade. People pulls scams all the time. But I returned the items I ordered new with tags and the invoice from them as directed but still a no go. The only reason is they don’t want to lose out on the sale. Pretty sorry and I definitely won’t be using them again. NOT the Disney magic I’m used to!

I see where your coming from, but I would think it completely different then Parks and Resorts as I'm sure (could be wrong) SHOPdisney doesn't fall into that same corporate bucket. Yes one company, but many different arms that don't interact. ShopDisney wants your money to stay on ShopDisney.
I see your point but if they take Disney Gift cards as payment and can sell Disney Gift Cards then they should be able to refund to one too.

I see your point but if they take Disney Gift cards as payment and can sell Disney Gift Cards then they should be able to refund to one too.

Trust me, I agree you would think that how it should work. With big companies like that, typically the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I work at corporate for a major retailer in the US and 90% of the business' I deal with are this way.

Yes I still have it. It’s one I plan to use at Disney Parks when we travel in a few weeks. So that’s why it’s extra frustrating, cause I specifally asked and their phone rep told me I’d get a new gift card cause people don’t keep theirs normally.

I don't understand why they couldn't just credit that card. I'm with you, it makes no sense and I would be frustrated too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter