• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buyers Remorse...need advice please.

I must be the luckiest DVC person in the world because I have yet to have an issue booking at the 7 month mark for any request I have. I don't get these gloom and doom people who scare people.

I don't think that anyone wants to scare anyone. But I do think that it's a dis-service to let people think that it doesn't matter where they buy. If it didn't matter, Disney wouldn't have different booking windows.

What's worse, telling someone that it doesn't matter where they buy, they can always get their request, or telling them that you might not get your request, so why not buy where you love to stay and put the odds in your favor.

Having never made a DVC ressie with more than 3 months notice and always finding a room, tho most of the time at SSR (not my fave location in the World), I wouldn't let it stress you out.

Ideally, in a perfect world, we would all be able to buy into our fave resort and book every vacation at 11 months out, but most of the time it just never works out that way.

If you are stressing over the money then maybe you should back out, but it is just worry about booking, then I wouldn't worry.

I must be the luckiest DVC person in the world because I have yet to have an issue booking at the 7 month mark for any request I have. I don't get these gloom and doom people who scare people.

Not gloom and doom...just personal experience, and each person's experience is, well, personal! Take us for example--in our experience, every year it gets harder and harder to book BWV (our home resort, mind you!) for anytime in the fall if we don't plan 11 months in advance. Well, I don't always know in November or December that I want to go the following October or November, (especially since I don't know yet when the days off for DD's school will be), but if I wait I'm getting more and more sure that I won't get in.

Oh, and we only stay in Studios, so again, that's my personal experience with Studios and specifically at BWV--with each passing year and each new DVC resort full of new members, it gets harder and harder to get what you want in certain resorts at certain times of the year.

Wait lists don't seem to come through as often or as quickly, either. Oh, and we've been members for 10 years, so I guess I'm comparing what it used to be like with what it's become.

So, in my opinion--buy where you want to stay or at least where you won't mind staying if you book it at 11 months and can't get anything else at 7.

If you are at all unsure about your purchase, and still within the rescission period, my advice is to rescind. Decisions about future vacations made while ON vacation are not always the most rational. Take your time, research the product, and understand what best serves your needs. If you still think DVC will be right for you (and it sounds like it might be), then make your purchase as a fully-informed consumer. Even if you end up buying exactly what you have now, and even if it costs a few dollars more, the peace of mind will be worth it.

Not gloom and doom...just personal experience, and each person's experience is, well, personal! Take us for example--in our experience, every year it gets harder and harder to book BWV (our home resort, mind you!) for anytime in the fall if we don't plan 11 months in advance. Well, I don't always know in November or December that I want to go the following October or November, (especially since I don't know yet when the days off for DD's school will be), but if I wait I'm getting more and more sure that I won't get in.

Oh, and we only stay in Studios, so again, that's my personal experience with Studios and specifically at BWV--with each passing year and each new DVC resort full of new members, it gets harder and harder to get what you want in certain resorts at certain times of the year. .

You are right, your circumstances are totally different than mine. I travel off peak time, I stay in a 2 BR, and I always book around the 6 month mark. I've never had trouble getting where and what I want unless I book last minute and then I really don't care which resort as long as I get the dates I want! I think I'm probably the exception to the rule!

Last week I was down enjoying a lovely vacation with my wife and another couple we do theater with. During our stay I decided to join the DVC and bought in to the Grand Californian. I made my decision based upon the fact that the incentives made the most sense financially and that when my wife and I DO decide to go out to Disneyland, we will need to book further in advance than a trip to WDW.

Being a newlywed couple, I thought long and hard and decided that I wanted to give my family, both now and in the future, the type of vacation I remember having had ONCE in my childhood, and the DVC would make that possible.

I returned, and spoke to another DVC member who told me about how difficult it is getting bookings outside of your home resort, and she scared the crap out of me. My home resort is in California! I am sure that I will love visiting CA every so often, but WDW is where it is at for me. I plan to travel to WDW mostly during the fall and late winter, and would love to stay at all of the different VC resorts over the next decade or so.

I guess my question is, A. Am I SOL on having chosen my home resort in Anaheim. B. How difficult, on average, will it be for me to get into the other resorts. C. Has anyone else found themselves in this predicament?

Lastly, my ten day period for backing out or attempting to make a change is up at the end of this week, so I need to act quickly. Also, I DO plan to add points in the future as my finances allow for it, but it is not likely to happen in the next decade or so, so please don't suggest that as a solution.

from my understanding you might not get exactly what you are looking for but with persistance you will get something close to it.

so, fractal514, what did you do?
it's not nice to get us all riled up and then leave us hangin :rolleyes:...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter