Buying a fridge for WDW holiday?

rob@rar.org.uk

Skiing is best, Mickey comes next
I've posted a similar question on the main Disney Resorts board, so apologies if you see this question twice, but I also wanted to get a UK perspective.

We're staying on-site for two weeks in August (week All Stars, week AKL). In previous trips we've rented a fridge because we like to eat breakfast and snacks in our room (saves lots of time and a little bit of money). However, at $10 plus tax per night the total cost is approximately double what it would be to actually buy the same fridge down the road in Walmart. I've tried using a styrofoam cooler plus ice, and its OK for drinks but not for food which would spoil such as milk, yogurt, ham, cheese, etc. What we are therefore thinking of doing is to buy a fridge as sson as we arrive, use it in our hotel rooms, then leave it when we return home. I am loathe to do this, but it is simply crazy to spend twice as much as we need to get a fridge in our room (in many hotels this would be considered standard kit).

Do you think this is a sensible plan? Would the Disney hotel object to us using a fridge? How would the hotel react when they found that a fridge had been left behind?

Regards

Rob

Who cares about what they think

Do it

It sounds a great plan. Anything that enhances your trips enjoyment gets my blessing

I'm certain that there will be rules and regulations in place that will not allow this. For safety purposes, while a brand new fridge ( or other electrical appliances) probably poses no fire risk, what about a 15 year old one that someone brought on the back of their pick up truck? and how do the hotels differentiate, legally. While they may not object, I feel the hotels would be perfectly within their rights to object to guests using their own domestic appliances. Whether they would do so or not is a different question, do you fancy paying out $100+ with the chance they wont allow you to use it?
What about a more sturdy solid plastic cooler? It should be more efficient than the styrofoam type and a lot less money than buying an electrical one.

How would they react to one being left behind? I'd guess either one of the staff would take it home, or Disney would rent it out to the next guest at $10 a day LOL

Hi Rob,
I had a similar idea when staying at the I-Drive Wyndham,they wanted $10 per day and Wal-Mart had them for $80.I stopped by the front desk to ask if I could buy one and then hand it to them at the end of my stay.The front desk asst. went to check and came back and said I could have one of theirs free of charge!!
Not sure if Disney would do this but it might be worth a try.

Mick.

:smooth:

We used one of the styrofoam coolers last year(with ice), and it kept the milk, butter etc cold just fine! (As well as all the beers etc!)

We always put fresh ice in in the morning before we went out, and then again when we returned in the afternoon/evening.

We were in WDW for 3 weeks and we were pleased we didn't spend out the $10 a night for a fridge!

I've tried using a styrofoam cooler plus ice, and its OK for drinks but not for food which would spoil such as milk, yogurt, ham, cheese, etc.
Rob, please forgive me if I'm 'teaching Grandmother to suck eggs' :rolleyes:, but do you put the ice in plastic bags inside the cooler?

With drinks, you can put the bottles straight in ice but for food if you put the ice in bags it won't make the food soggy. (If the food's also in bags it's a belt and braces job ;) )

Hilary,

Spot on - we put thing like butter etc into the Zip-Loc bags and packed the ice around.

The DDs loved going to the ice machine last thing at night and 1st thing in the morning.

The beers were lovely and cold!

I'd tend to agree with Vernon on this one. What DOES happen if something goes wrong with the fridge...goodness forbid......plus I don't imagine WDW are going to allow you to leave a fridge behind after your holiday!!!

Why not ring WDW........although something tells me you won't be the first to ask this question of them, and knowing WDW they will have a well rehearsed answer just ready and waiting for you LOL!!

Give it a go and let us know the results, good luck!!

I have read on previous threads that people took their own small fridges to Disney and can't recall this being a problem. These people however were living in the US and took the fridges away with them.
Tracy

Thanks for all your comments guys; much food for thought. On a previous trip we tried the cooler plus ice scenario, but it didn't work for us. Neither of us wanted the hassle of filling up ziplock bags of ice twice a day, and some foodstuffs weren't kept cool enough for my liking. I understand the concerns that Vernon and Mike expressed, so I emailed this message to WDW:

"We will visit WDW for 14 nights in July/August this year, staying at the All Star Movies for 7 nights and the Animal Kingdom Lodge for 7 nights. During previous visits to WDW we have rented a fridge when staying at Disney hotels, but now at $10 per night the cost of renting a fridge would be $140. This is far too expensive an option for the convenience of having a fridge in our room, particularly when the same model fridge can be bought at Walmart for around $80. Can you offer a reduction on the cost of renting a fridge for a long stay of 14 nights? If not, I think it will be a more cost effective plan to buy a fridge in Orlando and leave it there when we return home to the UK."

WDW Guest Communications replied:

"While we appreciate your interest, please know that a reduced rate for refrigerator rental is not currently offered at our resorts. We appreciate your understanding."

Now as far as I can see they have not ruled out using my own fridge in the room, and did not comment on the possibility of leaving it there when I leave. I think this leaves open my options...

Regards

Rob

Interesting update, Rob.

As you say, you've asked and they haven't said "no"!

Rob
I,ve seen many Americans with their portable fridges in their vans that they have taken into their hotel rooms. I can't see the "local" cleaning staff giving a second thought to it being there.

If you buy one you can always dump it by the skip round the back of Wal Mart or better still , take it to a Salvation Army depot, theres one at jnct. Orange Blossom and the 192 , and no doubt loads in the phone book, they even collect by appointment on certain days. That way someone will actually benefit from your money saving :D

Thanks Dave, that's a nice idea. If I do buy a fridge I'll try to work that into our plans on departure day.

Regards

Rob

I know lots of people on the BUDGET board take their own fridges with them - they are usually in cars so they can take them away with them at the end of the trip - but I would certainly consider buying one and then leaving it, some cleaning person would probably enjoy your new fridge when you are done with it.

Bev

And as far as the fire hazzard goes, is it really any different from taking your own hairdryer or travel iron?

Blimey,

This thread is getting some air time..LOL.

Have you asked WDW if they will allow you to take in your own fridge yet, rob?

OK, it saves a few dollars if you buy one, maybe even $50 or so, but.........

You have to find a fridge which involves shopping around for best value...

You have to get it in a car ( how big is THIS fridge ) and get it back to WDW....

You have to get it up to your room.......

What do you do with all the packing, polystyrene etc...???

Toward the end of your holiday , you then have to find a home for it... A) Leave it for the cleaning person .......?!?!? Doff me hat, gawd bless your kindness, guv'nor!!

B) Dump it by the skip...........being involved in the environmental/waste recycling industry i can tell you that would be less than welcome..........since you're passing on the problem of who copes with the CFC problem inherent in fridges. Even if you did , it takes up more valuable holiday time schlepping around trying to get rid of the blessed thing!!!

Mind you, Dave's idea of the Salvation Army is a good 'un .....but you'd need to co-ordinate times, again losing out on valuable holiday time.

Personally, I think I'd just cough up the extra cash, painful though it is...........like someone said , most hotels supply free fridges in the room........not Disney, though!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter