Buying a new PC...

iNTeNSeBLue98

DIS Veteran
We're selling our two and half year old Gateway and are looking for an inexpensive replacement. We have a 40Gig hard-drive and brand new CD-RW that we plan to keep, and would use to upgrade a lesser model desktop. We're only looking to spend up to $700 right now for a PC and monitor. (wish we could spend twice that). I like the look of the black/silver models, like the eMachines and the new Gateways. DH went to the Gateway Country store, but wasn't interested in the in-store specials.

Our computer is supposed to change hands this weekend.

I've found a couple of eMachines that I like, but haven't found a lot of info on their perfomance/reliability. Does anyone have this make or have an opinion? WalMart has a W1500 on their website that is flagged a a "new item". The price is perfect at $598 w/monitor, AMD Athlon processor,40GB had-drive (wouldn't need to add our 40), CD-RW (wouldn't need the one we have), etc. Best Buy and Circuit City have model T1220 with for $475, and a monitor can be had for $150-$250, making the total price almost $700.

Two technical questions...
1. How does that compare to, or differ from SD Ram? The W1500 has 128 MB of DDR Ram, the T1220 has 128 MB os SD Ram.
2.Do you have a processor preference? We have a Pentium III, so any new computer will be faster. I don't know whether we want an Athlon, Celeron or Pentium IV.

FYI - DH loves gaming on the PC. I surf the web and use Print Shop 12. DD11 is just beginning to spend more time on the web and occasionally plays games (Disney ones of course!)

Does anyone know when the next tax-free PC week wll be in PA?

I can't help you Kris, but will bump this up for someone who can.
CC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter