Buying Aulani

I had one too many glasses of wine a few weeks ago and made an Aulani offer without discussing it with my husband. I was remorseful for a moment but figured they wouldn't accept it because I came in $25 pp under asking. I woke up to a congratulations email the next morning. That was a fun conversation with my husband. :oops: Good thing he's a good sport.
This Is The Way 🤣

I offered $35pp under asking price…. But the asking price is way too high, IMO…. I’m completely fine if they don’t accept… I know that fire sales happen every 7-8 years and we are 4 years past the last one in 2020…..
So why is there a fire sale every 7-8 years? I need about 75 more points and I'll wait to add on if that's the case.

So why is there a fire sale every 7-8 years? I need about 75 more points and I'll wait to add on if that's the case.
9/11, Housing Bust, Euro Crisis, COVID…. it’s always something…. there is a “cost of waiting” factor too since you have less years on the contract every year that passes…. these things will all eventually be worth $0 at expiration.

If you want 75 points then just make bids “with a margin of safety” for contracts that come up in your use year that match your criteria.

Last edited:

9/11, Housing Bust, Euro Crisis, COVID…. it’s always something…. there is a “cost of waiting” factor too since you have less years on the contract every year that passes…. these things will all eventually be worth $0 at expiration.

If you want 75 points then just made bids “with a margin of safety” for contracts that come up in your use year that match your criteria.
Thanks for explaining!

Follow Up: Seller was only willing to come down $13pp… probably for the best as there seems to be a lot of inventory coming online.
Have you looked into what one time transfer AUL points go for on the DVC exchange/rent boards? Currently trying to decide if I actually need to commit to more than 200/yr (or borrow points) or if I just want to try to pay for points for the years we decide to stay in a 2bed instead of a 1bed. 🤔🤔

Have you looked into what one time transfer AUL points go for on the DVC exchange/rent boards? Currently trying to decide if I actually need to commit to more than 200/yr (or borrow points) or if I just want to try to pay for points for the years we decide to stay in a 2bed instead of a 1bed. 🤔🤔
It’s going to be around $20pp if you want the 7-11m booking.

We already own 600, as my family would mutiny if we all had to share 1 bathroom at a DVC resort. 🤣

The 1BDs at VGC and VDH have 2 bathrooms, but the Aulani 1BD only has 1…

The counter offer was somewhat reasonable, but it’s a large stripped contract and I think I penalize those more than the sellers seem to….which is their prerogative.

It’s going to be around $20pp if you want the 7-11m booking.

We already own 600, as my family would mutiny if we all had to share 1 bathroom at a DVC resort. 🤣

The 1BDs at VGC and VDH have 2 bathrooms, but the Aulani 1BD only has 1…

The counter offer was somewhat reasonable, but it’s a large stripped contract and I think I penalize those more than the sellers seem to….which is their prerogative.
I run a pretty tight ship so I think everybody is scared to mutiny—but also realize that we can’t do as many trips if we are putting everybody in their own bedroom. Also, my kids are still under 60lbs, I suspect they will demand real beds at some point in the next 2-4 years. A second bathroom sounds great though—in large part because our toilet at AUL was the loudest flushing toilet of my life and I would love to have a second one further from my bed for when I want to sleep in in the AM.

Renting at $20/pt doesn’t seem “unfair” based on how I value my “is this a great use of points” break even point…but based on the point chart when I want to go, it will still feel like a huge cash outlay to bridge the gap between points I own and points I want to use…then I start thinking, why pay $20 to use the points once when I can pay 90-100 to use them for 30 years + 😋

Lastly— it does seem like there’s a generally significant arbitrage opportunity between how DISboarders will value stripped and loaded points—unfortunately I think that spread generally gets eaten up by broker fees.

Follow Up: Seller was only willing to come down $13pp… probably for the best as there seems to be a lot of inventory coming online.
Are you making offers on subsidized dues or non-subsidized dues contracts? We purchased non-subsidized AUL for our first resale contract and we're already considering adding points. We have SEP UY, so we might have to change UY to find a subsidized contract, but I'm thinking that's the way to go.

Are you making offers on subsidized dues or non-subsidized dues contracts? We purchased non-subsidized AUL for our first resale contract and we're already considering adding points. We have SEP UY, so we might have to change UY to find a subsidized contract, but I'm thinking that's the way to go.
Yup just have to be patient and wait. Took six months of watching/stocking listings to finally find a small subsidized contract with my use year. But it’s Hawaii so all I had was time for that contract since we are east coasters. My wife was like, really, a Hawaii contract WHY lol

I really dont need points, so I would put these in the “if I could get it for this price then I couldn’t say no offer”.

First was on a subsidized… Quote from the agent is that “this is a very unmotivated seller who is happy renting the points out”…. OK… good to know.

Just made an offer on a Grand Cal and an Unsubsidized Aulani. Both lowish, but nothing that would earn a standing ovation on the ROFR board. My guess is that they won’t be accepted, but at least I will have given it a shot.

Everything tastes better when you’re watching the sun sink into the ocean!
I dunno. I made the mistake of joining an Aulani DVC Facebook group, and that crowd is about as whiney and entitled as any I've ever seen anywhere. They're complaining about Standard View villas like they reserved a suite at the Four Seasons Hualalai or the Grand Wailea. Island View, but you can see 4 square feet of paved surface if you look straight down and lean 4 feet out from your lanai? Get down there and complain until they move you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter