Buying Disney Giftcards at grocery store

dzaharchuk

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I was on forum about saving $$ towards trips, and someone mentioned the great idea of purchasing Disney giftcards at grocery store when they offer incentives (like spend 30 in gc's and get 10 off next order).

Just wondering how often stores run these kinds of incentive, I remember our local Giant doing this in fall. I'd like to keep my eye out for this, seems like a great way to save a few dollars on groceries and stash away Disney money all at once! Any other stores that run these kinds of promos?

tia

The only thing Ive seen is at Sams club. You can by a WDW gift card but you don't really save anything. I think you save a dollar I believe.

It's not just Disney gift cards, it's gift cards in general.

Vons / Pavillions has had these recently. You just have to look at your ads weekly and/or these boards.

Can I ask which forum was it? Im always looking for new sites with ideas!
Winn Dixie sometimes has specials where you can get up to $50 off $300 gift cards and they have Disney cards. I bought $1500 worth for our last trip so that was a nice discount.

Target offers 5% off when you use their debit or credit card. It works on the Disney gift cards. Just before Christmas they were offering $10 off of $50, and $10 off $75. Between the $ off specials and the 5% off I ended up saving 18% off of $1800 worth of gift cards, so I only spent $1476 (saving $324)!

holy cow!!! How often do they do that? How did you find out about that?

Any tips appreciated!

Target offers 5% off when you use their debit or credit card. It works on the Disney gift cards. Just before Christmas they were offering $10 off of $50, and $10 off $75. Between the $ off specials and the 5% off I ended up saving 18% off of $1800 worth of gift cards, so I only spent $1476 (saving $324)!

Yes, I did this too but mine was also giving $10 off $100 purchase coupons for each $75 transaction....so I was able to use those on $100 worth of cards (making it 90 apply a previously earned $10 gift card - the one I got with the coupon - bringing my total down to $80-5%. So, $76 for $100 worth of GCs!). I figured it up and I saved about $400 when all was said and done:banana:

Also, if you participate in pharmacy rewards, they send you a 5% coupon for a day of shopping, so you can get another 5% off. I get all kinds of GC w/ the discount to use whenever - Red Robin, Olive Garden, Chick Fil A also.

Yes, I did this too but mine was also giving $10 off $100 purchase coupons for each $75 transaction....so I was able to use those on $100 worth of cards (making it 90 apply a previously earned $10 gift card - the one I got with the coupon - bringing my total down to $80-5%. So, $76 for $100 worth of GCs!). I figured it up and I saved about $400 when all was said and done:banana:

Where is the gold medal button? That is AMAZING! I need to learn how to do this!!!

They tend to do these kinds of deals near the holidays.

I wish my local supermarket had Disney gift cards. I used to get them in the Disney store in the local mall, but it closed last year. I know you can get them online but I like to save up cash to buy them.

You get 10c off gas for every $100 you spend at Kroger. You get double points on gift cards. So a $100 gift card will get you 20c off gas. I am planning on purchasing gift cards to cover most of the trip because of this.

Our local Acme (Albertsons) does the spend so much in gift cards get so much off your next order a couple of times a year. Watch your flyer every week and you will see it eventually.

You get 10c off gas for every $100 you spend at Kroger. You get double points on gift cards. So a $100 gift card will get you 20c off gas. I am planning on purchasing gift cards to cover most of the trip because of this.

How does this work if your Kroger doesn't have a gas station? I tried to read on it and got confused...something about being able to redeem it at Shell?

Where is the gold medal button? That is AMAZING! I need to learn how to do this!!!

I was pretty happy! Between that and the "bonus" gift cards you can earn at Target on various things every week (I earned a TON Christmas shopping-about $300!)and buy Disney Entertainment cards with...it just about paid for the difference of our upgrade for 6 nights to Beach Club (about $700)!:banana::cool1:

How does this work if your Kroger doesn't have a gas station? I tried to read on it and got confused...something about being able to redeem it at Shell?

Yeah, we can use it at shell (at least here). I don't think they add up the gas points at Shell though. For example $400 at Kroger=40c off a gallon at a Kroger gas station. If you tried to redeem the same 400 gas points at shell it would be 10c off a gallon on 4 different tanks of gas.

We have Giant Eagle grocery stores and you earn 20 cents off gas for every $50 you spend so I pay for my disney trips buy purchasing gift cards. So far for our trip in April I have bought $1500 worth of Gift cards and we have gotten 3 tanks of gas for free. That may not sound like a lot to some people but our trucks hold 30 gallons each so for us it saves us over $100 each time we fill up. We do this for other things not just disney gift card. Dh just bought a new grill at home depot and before he bought it he went to Giant eagle and bought a gift card to cover the cost. It really helps especially when you budget $500 a month for gas and you don't spend it because you received your gas for free buy purchasing gift cards for items you had already budgeted to spend anyway. It is a shame they are not everywhere. My mom is going with us and she doesn't have a Giant Eagle so she can't take advantage of this.

We have Giant Eagle grocery stores and you earn 20 cents off gas for every $50 you spend so I pay for my disney trips buy purchasing gift cards. So far for our trip in April I have bought $1500 worth of Gift cards and we have gotten 3 tanks of gas for free. That may not sound like a lot to some people but our trucks hold 30 gallons each so for us it saves us over $100 each time we fill up. We do this for other things not just disney gift card. Dh just bought a new grill at home depot and before he bought it he went to Giant eagle and bought a gift card to cover the cost. It really helps especially when you budget $500 a month for gas and you don't spend it because you received your gas for free buy purchasing gift cards for items you had already budgeted to spend anyway. It is a shame they are not everywhere. My mom is going with us and she doesn't have a Giant Eagle so she can't take advantage of this.

This is what we did last time we went to Disney, I love giant eagle. They do the food perks and the fuel perks. My DH has a company vehicle so I save 20% off my groceries every month too:banana:

Deffenm why don't you have your mom send you a check then you can get the savings when you buy her gift cards.

We shop at Stop & Shop. We get 10 cents a gallon for every $100 we spend. So I buy Disney Gft Cards. Sometimes they double the rewards. It really pays when you have to fill a Suburban which has a 42 gallon tank. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter