• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

buying golf clubs

crazygolfer

Earning My Ears
Has anyone brought a set of clubs whilst on holiday.If so did you have them shipped back or did you bring them back on the plane.Any good golf shops to vist.

Hi,

I haven't actually bought any golf clubs, but i know people who have and apparantley you get some great deals.

From what i can remember there is a large golf outlet store on I-drive, as you drive towards the belz outlet malls, its on the right.

If you do decide to purchase clubs out there, make sure you take the import duty into account. I think its anything over the value of around £140, they will charge you for.

paul

Thanks for that paul i will have fun looking at that shop.I wonder how much the import tax will be.

If you use the clubs out there, rendering them second hand, then throw away the receipt. You bought them in the UK didn't you ? Know what i mean ?

Paul

I,ve bought several sets and many individual clubs back.
Most airlines carry a set of clubs and shoes as one peice of baggage, flight bags are very reasonable.

In my experience Customs (at Gatwick) are very aware of the golf club bargains in the USA and I tend to get pulled on every return (probably due to my bright red Wilson probag flight cover :D .)
I have had several DIRTY clubs examed and they can normally tell its newish by wear on the grip, then its up to you to prove where you got them from.

That said if you visit the BIG Special Tee or Edwin Watts shops ( on I drive and all over the place) they are very experienced in writing receipts that satisfy UK customs, ie part exchanges and shop soiled sale goods etc :D

Another place for the odd bargain ( got a great set of Mizuno clubs a third of the UK price) is the Sports Authority ( 192 and up by the Fla Mall).

Theres a golf discount outlet store up on I drive past Wet n Wild, they sometimes have some bargains in amongst the end of line stuff.

And believe it or not, K Mart and Wal Mart often have "special" sets on sale, my DW got a fantastic full set of Wilson clubs and bag etc for $120, £200 over here!

HTH's
DAve
(who hasen't been able to play since last summer as I have a dislocated knee cap !!)

That must be the shop we went to.

The golf shop at the top of I Drive, opposite Sweet Tomatoes (Good cheap restaurant) and , more importantly, Michaels the craft/scrapbooking superstore.

My DH bought a set of "bendy" woods, I think he was inside the import limit? We just bought them back in the cardboard tube, I think we checked them? All I know is my scrapbook stuff was safe in the case!

I think it was a big chain store?

I'd agree that Special T and Edwin Watts are both worth a visit. When I bought a set of clubs in Orlando I had taken an old set with me, seeing the bargains available I bought a set there and disgarded the old set I had taken. My golf bag was reasonably used and I wasn't checked on my return. I think the price was close to the limit.

Be aware of U.K prices & don't assume everythings a bargain. U.S sets are often sold 3-Wedge, no sand wedge which can cost $100+. Top of the range stuff (callaway, ping etc.) often is not much cheaper by the time the old 6% tax is put on. Take into account the aggravation struggling to take them home & the stress factor dodging the customs. Declaring them will add about 30% & if you're captured you'll certainly regret buying them. Having said all that I have done it myself! (spent a bit of time on the range making them look used)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter