Buying/Selling DVC Contracts and Maintaining Eligibility for Membership Extras

JWhiz

Mouseketeer
I think this is more a member services questions, but it probably also related in part to the purchasing DVC forums too. It's not necessarily a typical situation and let me preface it by saying that ultimately I will be talking to Member Services too, but was curious if anyone here had experience with it too.

I am one of those whose first DVC purchase was via resale. It was a great purchase and no regrets, particularly as prices have increased since, but unfortunately I didn't pursue DVC until after there was a direct purchase requirement to be eligible for membership extras (perks, benefits, whatever else folks call them from time to time). So I quickly suffered from a case of "add-on-itis" and within the first year I purchased a 25 point contract directly from Disney to be a full-fledged, blue card-carrying DVC member.

I had done a lot of research prior to purchasing DVC, but in retrospect I was still a newbie in knowledge of how to evaluate contract decisions the best. I knew I needed 25 points to become eligible for membership extras. Looking at the more reasonable contracts to purchase at that time, I focused more on Epcot/DHS area as the Bay Lake resorts were more expensive. I thought with Galaxy's Edge and changes to both parks coming, it made sense (this was 2017). I gravitated to Boardwalk because of its lower cost than Beach Club, lower point room options, and it just fit more my personal style. So I purchased, got my blue card, that rest was history. What I didn't contemplate at that time in the "purchase of benefits" was that Boardwalk was a shorter term contract, which meant since my benefits were now tied to a specific contract and not just grandfathered in in perpetuity, there was a limit to them (now only 19 years left). Had I thought in those terms I would have likely spent a bit more and bought something with a longer contract like Bay Lake Tower. But at the time, money was tighter, I didn't think things through completely, and wasn't really worried about 25 years down the road at that point. (Some/many might say it's not worth worrying 19 years down the road now!)

Flash forward to 2023, DVC has continually risen the threshold to qualify for extras and even though I've had two subsequent direct purchases from Disney, neither has been enough separately nor together to qualify me without the Boardwalk contract. Today I have 85 direct purchase points besides the 25 from Boardwalk, so with the current threshold being 150 points, I assume I would need to purchase 65 points more direct (before the threshold is raised again) to qualify without the Boardwalk contract.

I've also stayed at Boardwalk a few times now, and it's really not my vibe. In fact, I almost dislike it somewhat as it's a reminder of a "wrong" decision and a place I don't really want to stay. I'd like to sell the contract, but absolutely don't want to lose my extras. I know for some that may not be important, but I like having the discounted annual pass or access to Moonlight Magic.

To make a long story short (too late), I was wondering if others had experience essentially changing how they qualify for the membership extras. Obviously for anyone who purchased originally prior to 2016, it's a moot point. You qualify regardless of direct or resale. I'm assuming my extras/benefits are tied to one contract until I have 150 points directly purchased besides those to actually "re-qualify", but I don't even know if this is a thing. I'd like to consider buying 65 points direct and selling the 25 points, but there is no way I would do that unless I'm absolutely sure I would retain my membership extras.

As I said, ultimately I know I need to ask Member Services, but frankly I'm a bit worried about the quality of response I would get there, and whether it depends on when and who I talk to someone. So I thought I'd rather float it here, where folks have always been helpful, and see if anyone had some first hand experience (or even anecdotal experience).

Any thoughts and discussion would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Your eligibility goes with the contract that you purchased and is matched to the threshold at that time.

So, if you are eligible for MS at 25 points, and you sell that…or it expires, and you fall below the threshold for the current minimum, you know need to have to add back to the new level.

If you add on 65 direct points, and you have 85 direct points, you now at 150…and are eligible for membership extras…you can indeed sell the 25…

The other aspect though is the threshold when you bought the 85 direct points…that contract could also stand on its own for extras if the threshold was only 75 points.

Regardless, if you get yourself to 150, you know you are set and will keep that threshold as long as you own those contracts.

Your eligibility goes with the contract that you purchased and is matched to the threshold at that time.

So, if you are eligible for MS at 25 points, and you sell that…or it expires, and you fall below the threshold for the current minimum, you know need to have to add back to the new level.

If you add on 65 direct points, and you have 85 direct points, you now at 150…and are eligible for membership extras…you can indeed sell the 25…

The other aspect though is the threshold when you bought the 85 direct points…that contract could also stand on its own for extras if the threshold was only 75 points.

Regardless, if you get yourself to 150, you know you are set and will keep that threshold as long as you own those contracts.
Thanks. That's what I've been assuming, that as long as I have 150 points from direct purchases other than the 25 point Boardwalk contract, that I would still qualify regardless of when I might sell the Boardwalk contract.

Unfortunately I was always a bit behind on all the thresholds. 35 points purchased separately when it was 50. Another 50, for 85 total, when it was already at 150. I never really thought about it much until I realized I would lose the extras when my Boardwalk contract expired, unless they offered an extension/re-buy in of it I guess in 2042, and I realized that I didn't really want to Boardwalk contract anyway. At this point it's just something I use for the benefits and I stay elsewhere. Had I not realized that I would be purchasing more and more direct, I wouldn't have even thought it would be an option to "extend" my benefits this way.

Thanks for your response. I think you may have been the one to set me straight several years ago when I first starting understanding about how the extras were now tied to the contract, and not just "mine" for good. :-)

You seem to be pretty worried about maintaining eligibility. Have you realized a lot of benefit from blue-card status? Before stressing over how to maintain it, take some time to see how much it's been worth to you.

This is a problem for 15 years from now you. By then, the Blue Card might be meaningless. I really wouldn't be worried about this.

If you love Poly2, you might think about buying whatever points you are missing there, and then selling BW, while its pricing is still bananas. But I doubt 80 points will go far there. So, buying the whole 150 there might make more sense. If I were doing that, I would really be committed to Disney and to Poly.

You seem to be pretty worried about maintaining eligibility. Have you realized a lot of benefit from blue-card status? Before stressing over how to maintain it, take some time to see how much it's been worth to you.
Not "pretty worried." I'm actually just trying to make a better informed decision. I am likely to add on some more points, and given what and how much I want, direct purchase is likely to be the best route for me. So I'd like to make a decision that doesn't preclude some flexibility of selling a contract and still maintaining membership extras. Is it a $5,000 decision? No. But I do regularly purchase annual passes at a discount, attend Moonlight Magic, and partake in the DVC lounges, among other things. And if it makes sense, I would like to be able to sell off the contract I don't like, and retain my benefits if not extend them for more years because right now the contract I want to sell is the one also with the earliest expiration date.

This is a problem for 15 years from now you. By then, the Blue Card might be meaningless. I really wouldn't be worried about this.

If you love Poly2, you might think about buying whatever points you are missing there, and then selling BW, while its pricing is still bananas. But I doubt 80 points will go far there. So, buying the whole 150 there might make more sense. If I were doing that, I would really be committed to Disney and to Poly.
Except it's not a 15 years from now problem, when prices will be much higher then, and it means I have to retain a contract for all that time that I might not want to. Again, not worried.

As much as I enjoy the Polynesian, I see little reason to purchase there since they have one room type, and a large supply. I have been able to stay without problems. If you're talking about the new tower, not interested at all.

I'd figure out what the cost would be to upgrade your 25pt BWV contract to a different, 65pt direct contract, and from there decide if it's worth the extra years. Even though the market has cooled a lot, you can still get a decent price for a small BWV contract, so that'll offset your new direct purchase. Depending on your UY, you'll also be getting 2022 points for "free".

If you're confident that you'll still be going to Disney in 20 years, and you regularly take advantage of the membership extras, I can see it being worthwhile to get those extra points.

How do you find out what eligibility was at the time of purchase? I am pretty sure I know what qualitied at the time but I would like to verify.

How do you find out what eligibility was at the time of purchase? I am pretty sure I know what qualitied at the time but I would like to verify.

In April 2016 it was 25 points. in Feb of 2018 it went to 75, fall 2019 to 100, fall 2020 to 125, and in June 2021 to 150

ETA: fixed 2018…it was Feb 2018.

Last edited:
I certainly can appreciate your desire to sell. But at 7 months, those points could be GFV or RIV points for that matter. You can get top dollar for a smaller contract but paying the difference for those 65 is touch. You could rent a few years of those Boardwalk points or a good confirmed reservation and you could apply that to a new contract. I would squeeze those 25 points to buy those other 65. Just my .02

In April 2016 it was 25 points. In fall of 2018 it went to 75, fall 2019 to 100, fall 2020 to 125, and in June 2021 to 150

I think your years may be off a bit.

We bought in newbie in Jan. 2017 on a 100 minimum for blue status.

I think your years may be off a bit.

We bought in newbie in Jan. 2017 on a 100 minimum for blue status.

The minimum to buy was 100 for new buyers, which of course made you eligible. but all that was required for someone who was already an owner to be eligible was to add on at 25….

New buyers could never buy as low as 25…but I was off in that is was Feb 2018 and not fall Of 2018
https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-p...57-75-point-direct-purchase-minimum-for-perks

Last edited:
I certainly can appreciate your desire to sell. But at 7 months, those points could be GFV or RIV points for that matter. You can get top dollar for a smaller contract but paying the difference for those 65 is touch. You could rent a few years of those Boardwalk points or a good confirmed reservation and you could apply that to a new contract. I would squeeze those 25 points to buy those other 65. Just my .02
I think I understand what you are saying. I would never sell the 25 pt contract, unless I knew I was going to purchase, and in fact had already purchased, enough direct points to be able to get rid of the older contract but still retain the membership extras. If the right situation does not arise, then I am fine keeping the qualifying 25 pt contract through its expiration in 19 years. I have used the points for only one home resort stay in the seven years I've owned them.

Frankly I was thinking the Disneyland Hotel was going to be that situation where I would purchase directly and it would allow me the opportunity to sell the older contract, but given the high transient tax, it doesn't really look worth it for me to buy into it. I don't have a ton of points, but probably enough now to balance my desire to go with the reality of how much I'm spending on a luxury item like this. At this point, there are only 2-3 resorts I would think of adding on, and I was hoping DLH would be one of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter