Buying Wedding Gown Off The Internet

honey2741

DIS Veteran
Hello Everyone! :flower3:

I know this topic has been discussed before and it makes for some interesting conversation. A lot of time has passed and I wanted to inquire if anyone has purchased their wedding gown off the Internet or from Ebay? What was your experience...positive or negative? Where did you purchased your wedding gown from? If you haven't purchased a gown off the internet what were the pros or cons for your decision? Thanks!

The reason I am considering buying a brand new gown off the internet is to save $$.

i got mine from ebay (although i had tried it on in a store before)... $58 for a $300 dress that was no longer made! It was great. Just make sure that there is a good return policy, just in case

I got my dress and veil from a lady off of Craig's List. My parents and I went and met with her and I tried it on. Perfect fit, in great condition. Original prices were 650 for the dress and 200 for the veil. I payed 350 total!

I know it's not the same as ordering it from the internet and having it mailed, I don't know if I could without seeing the dress beforehand. But I'm paranoid!

I'd have no problem buying a dress on Ebay or other site. If I can get a good deal and really like the dress. If I get it and then realize I don't love it. I could just resell it. No harm done.

I got mine from eBay and I love it! I was really looking for ways to cut costs in any way I could so this worked out well for me. I looked for a couple of days then found something I liked for a very reasonable price and jumped on it, I figured if i hated it I could just re-sell it on eBay!

I look for listings from bridal shops, there are a TON of Chinese seamstresses offering to make copies of any dress you want for incredible prices, I didn't have enough confidence in that process!!

I bought mine from the internet - not from ebay but from a large british department store online. I had seen the dress online but couldnt find it in my local stores. I thought $825 was too much to spend to try a dress on so I left it. But then they had an online sale on and my dress was half price :goodvibes so I bought that one and another one to try on. I fell in love with my original favourite and took back the other dress instore (I could have returned it in the post though), my card was immediately refunded.

Personally I wouldnt but a dress from one of these Chinese companies - as most of them are effectively slave labour but thats my own personal opinon :hippie:

I'm the poster child for eBay . . . I'm just LOVE shopping victoriously! I got my Kirstie Kelly for Disney platinum-edition Cinderella gown for $290, including shipping (brand new with tags on). The dress retails for $3600+, so I paid, like, 8%. :woohoo: There's NO WAY I could have spent that much on a wedding dress.

Before I saw this one, I bought another KK for Disney "Belle" gown that was also just gorgeous. I got that one for $163, including shipping (retails for $2610). Whenever I bought the Cinderella gown and decided it was the one I wanted to keep, I turned around and sold the Belle gown on eBay, and made the starting price the amount it would take to recoup my costs. In the end I even made a little bit of profit on the gown.

I think when you consider purchasing a gown on eBay, you have to go into it knowing that you are taking a bit of a risk. You really need to be willing to take a complete and total loss on the amount of money you spend. But, in the end, you can get a fantastic gown for pennies on the dollar. And you can use some of the money you saved to pay for any necessary alterations that will make the dress perfect for you.

Make sure you check feedback and that you have asked all your questions ahead of time. I also say never buy a gown from someone whose only been a buyer and is selling the gown as her first sales experience unless you can contact her before you bed.
My baby sis is marrying in september, she tried on the gowns she liked in a salon and then figured she'd buy online and save some cash. The first gown she bought was on ebay, it was a seller that had 100% feedback as a buyer and the gown was her first sales experience. My sis had the winning bid. Paid right away. After a week hadn't heard anything from the buyer so she emailed her, and emailed her and emailed her no response. So I emailed the buyer from my account asking if the gown was still available- she offered to sell it to me for a hundred bucks more than my sister's winning bid. We of course forwarded all the emails to ebay who got the buyer to refund my sister's money.
Next my sis tried to buy a gown on www.bravobride.com a website that lets people list their new and preowned wedding items. the gown was listed as new with tags, never worn. After already charging my sister twice the actual rater for shipping the woman tried to get her to pay an additional $20 for shipping. She said no as she had already paid $45 to ship something that actually cost $22 to ship. then she recieves the gown. It was an extremely dirty floor sample! The seller refused to refund the money so my sis was stuck with a dirty gown that left a bad taste in her mouth.

Enter big sis to the rescue! I found another gown on ebay, made sure it really was new and not a sample and bought it and had it sent to me instead of her so I could check it over and make sure she avoided another heartbreaking surprise. It was perfect but a size bigger than listed! Fortunatly it fits perfect and needs just a tiny alteration in the bust- she could've squeezed into the size she originally ordered as it fit snugly in the store but is just as happy with the one.
I also purchased my MOH gown and purse on ebay and got a $155 dress for $18!! ANd it was perfect!

My advice:
-ask if its clean, new, worn, etc
-ask to double check all sizes or ask for picture of tag inside
-ask if its a floor sample or purchased off rack vs. ordered
-check what the 100% feedback really says-is it standard "great buyer" stuff or detailed seller info
-always have some kind of email contact before you bid, if you don't get an answer right away don't bid because you won't be able to get email contact afterwards
-ask questions about alterations done on a preworn gown
-don't be afraid to inquire about the extras like slips, bustiers, etc the former bride might have-the gown we were successful on -the bride included a slip, tiara and jewelry for free. We ended up with $1200 of brand new merchandise for $225 including shipping
-if its a buy it now item, offer a bit less, I offered $50 under the asking price and got it!

We saved enough of wedding items that we are planning a post wedding/honeymoon reception at WDW for the newlyweds. The bride's family is half in North Florida half in Buffalo, Ny. The grooms family is all in NY. The bride wanted a disney wedding and the groom wanted a NY wedding, so now its both a Buffalo Wedding and then a disney honeymoon with the bridal party included to have a Disney Reception:) Best of both worlds:)

I wouldn't... if it doesn't fit and you have to order another one you will just be wasting even more money plus it could cost you a lot in alterations. There are stores that have lower cost dresses or you can buy a sample etc. and have quality service without guessing. If you do buy a dress on ebay make sure to try the dress on in the store beforehand and remember that the person who wore it prior had it altered to fit their body perfectly and it might not fit yours.

i absolutely would! I found my gown on ebay, a $1200 Alfred Angelo design, paid $200 w/ shipping, dress was SO beautiful in person, new with tags.

I paid $150 in alterations (bustling, sewed in bustier, etc), so in the end I paid $350, saving $850!!!

There are always risks, but if you're not in a rush and have plenty of time before the wedding its def worth it to try ebay or other like sites!! :)

If I'd already tried the dress on, and knew what size I wanted, then yes, I'd buy online.

I don't think I could buy a wedding dress without having tried it first.

I have just started the process of having a dress designed from www.dollycouture.net - a designer who makes 50's inspired dresses! So far, she basically has asked what I want and I've had some questions. But a friend of mine got her dress through her and she made it a little bit big on purpose so she could get it tailored to fit her perfectly. And her dresses are super cute!!! I'm thinking I will do a light pink dress. Anyway. That's what I'm doing. My friend only had good things to say and her dress is adorable and was made specifically for her. So awesome!

I bought my gown off of Ebay too! Funny this is that i saw the same gown at a local boutique and asked the price... $1550!!! I only paid 300/with shipping!!!

As long as you do your research you're fine. The girl was selling the dress because after she bought it she found another dress she liked better. It was never worn and still has the tags on it! It does need to be fitted to me as its a size to big but every dress need to be altered for the most part.

HTH!

I'm an eBay buyer too! I tried on a sample of a $1,300 dress at a boutique, which they tried to sell me for a "discount" of $900 even though it was not the color I wanted, had ballpoint pen marks on it, and had a broken zipper. Found the same dress on eBay brand new and in the right color for $500 including shipping. The seller owns a bridal boutique in the Midwest, so I felt reasonable secure, and the whole transaction was very smooth.

Hope this works...

nowandforever41.jpg

This is the dress I'm going to order for my VR...it's perfect. :cloud9: I've been speaking with the designer through email, and although I will not be able to try it on before hand...I drool every time I look at it.

It ain't cheap...so I know it doesn't help the whole "buy it online to save money" discussion...but I wanted to advocate the "if you do research, and feel comfortable, then why not" opinion.

I also plan to buy my necklace and circlet from her, and she's even offered to make a custom pentacle (I'm Wiccan) to attach to the center of the necklace.

DSC05935.JPG

DSC058041.JPG

:goodvibes

Got mine new with tags for $100 on ebay with veil and tiara. Dress alone costs $400 in DB. I'm very happy. ^_^

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter