Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin

pumpkinjl

Mouseketeer
It's been a couple of years since we last rode Buzz. The last couple of times it was really run down. In fact, my DD and DH had to ride in a vehicle without a working gun (bummer).

Has this ride improved in the past couple of years? Do the guns work now?

We are ready to give it another try.

It could use a refurb but in all of the years of visiting, I have never had a gun not work. Think maybe you just hit some bad luck there. Def give it another try - it's one of our faves!

It's fun, but it does seem like it needs a little face lift! Once you ride TSMM, Buzz seems kind of "amateurish." We still like it though, the kids get a kick out of it.

Yeah, it could use some freshening up, but it's still my boys' favorite, must do ride. (They're 9).

Space ranger spin is definitely a really cool ride, but only when the gun works. The last two times I rode the ride my gun didn't work. The last time we used a fp+, and I didn't think it was worth it. If you have the chance, ride it, but I wouldn't use a fastpass if you were planning on it. :yay:

Like dixiegirl said, I've never had a gun not work, and I've ridden it at least 100 times, probably a lot more. Maybe you just drew the short straw. The Buzz in the queue is sporadic in operation, sometimes it's covered up, but beyond that the ride itself works fine. I agree it could use some sprucing up, but it's not bad the way it is.

The version in DL is so much better. You can hold the gun in your hand and it is easy to tell when you actually hit a target as they all react in some way. The WDW one needed some work last time I saw it, but I wish they'd upgrade it completely.

The version in DL is so much better. You can hold the gun in your hand and it is easy to tell when you actually hit a target as they all react in some way. The WDW one needed some work last time I saw it, but I wish they'd upgrade it completely.

I agree that the DL version is better. Unfortunately, I could say that about many of the rides in WDW compared to DL (Hyper Space Mountain puts the regular Space Mountain to shame, Pirates, Thunder Mountain, just to name a few).

Sadly, the guns are still widely variable in their functionality. I am surprised at the number of folks who say they've never had a gun that didn't work, because we have noticed what I'll favorably describe as a high variability in the functionality of our guns.

When we have ones that work properly, we consistenly score above 700,000.

Often though, one of us ends up with a gun that is slow, one that has a weak signal, or one that doesn't fire straight.

If the line is short, we re-ride Buzz multiple times, maybe that's how we've come to really notice the variability.

We'd love to see Buzz get a little love. Slightly improving the guns would make this ride a whole lot better. If they just added a blinking light like MIB, it would be so much better ( a light that blinks when you hit a target.)

I agree that the DL version is better. Unfortunately, I could say that about many of the rides in WDW compared to DL (Hyper Space Mountain puts the regular Space Mountain to shame, Pirates, Thunder Mountain, just to name a few).

Well, it cuts both ways. Haunted Mansion at WDW is superior, as is Tower of Terror, Splash Mountian, and even Peter Pan (my evaluation only). Thunder mountain is about the same excepting the new effects (which I believe they are adding at WDW in the current refurb - those new effects also were not running 100% when I was at DL a few weeks ago).

I actually didn't like Hyperspace Mountain. The added projections don't look that good or convincing (same for Ghost Galaxy). I prefer just regular Space Mountain, and I actually kinda like the WDW version better, though I do like that DL is a smoother ride.

It's fun, but it does seem like it needs a little face lift! Once you ride TSMM, Buzz seems kind of "amateurish." We still like it though, the kids get a kick out of it.

We feel exactly the same! Would never miss TSMM, but Buzz we could miss and not worry about it.

That sounds so much better! I hate the fact that I never know what I've hit and only know I've hit something because I got points! That is another reason we love TSMM, since we can see immediate what we hit with our color and also the fun reactions of many targets.

On one of my more recent rides on Buzz, there was a stoppage for 10 to 15 minutes and when we started up again my gun did not work. The CMs at the exit knew this and gave us another ride, loading right at the unloading area. I would definitely speak up if the gun doesn't work.

I've always found the functionality of the guns poor, or I'm just really bad at aiming. But considering I've been a gamer pretty much my entire life I always find it disappointing that I can't get an acceptable score.

I've never had a gun not work properly. And they did a refurb earlier this year or late last year where they redid the queue and idk if they touched the ride track or vehicles

That sounds so much better! I hate the fact that I never know what I've hit and only know I've hit something because I got points! That is another reason we love TSMM, since we can see immediate what we hit with our color and also the fun reactions of many targets.

FYI, it's not THAT fancy, but between being able to hold your gun and seeing the flasshing light or motion of the target gives you a better idea. I think I read somewhere that Shanghai was getting an even more upgraded version of Buzz with modern tech.

When we have ones that work properly, we consistenly score above 700,000.

OK, tell the truth. You just came here to brag about your scores. :P

I'm halfway decent at the game, but the only time I've gotten scores that high are when the ride stops for a minute or two and I just shoot away at a target... actually I haven't figured out which targets are the real high value ones. I haven't honestly looked as I just ride it for fun anyway.

I do agree that it would be great to have some idea if you hit a target or not...especially in that last room where you're trying to hit the moving alien thingy...I have no clue if I'm hitting it or not.

... I would definitely speak up if the gun doesn't work.

Absolutely, especially if you waited a long time in line. On this ride, and MIB at US, we've often ridden and one of the guns have not worked. Just tell a CM and they will let you get in the FP line.

Worth it in my opinion. My son's favorite ride on our trip in 2015 (he was turning 3) .. we rode it 3 times in one day. :)

I've never had the guns not work and the Photo Pass photos are some of the best because you aren't moving very fast, and the looks of concentration on people's faces are priceless! :)

It does seem dated compared to say MIB at Universal Studios and especially TSMM at DHS. (even though TSMM is really just a glorified video game), but that doesn't make it any less fun! :) It could just use some modern tech and the ability to hold your gun and be able to know where you are actually hitting a lot better.

I think the "cardboard cutout" style of the ride's characters/targets make it feel a bit dated too.

It's been a couple of years since we last rode Buzz. The last couple of times it was really run down. In fact, my DD and DH had to ride in a vehicle without a working gun (bummer).

Has this ride improved in the past couple of years? Do the guns work now?

We are ready to give it another try.

I've never had a gun not work, and if I did, I would tell the CM as I was exiting, and I would expect them to allow me to ride again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter