• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buzz's soccer guide for the non-fan who doesn’t want to become the obsessed supporter but does not want to be seen as a noob during WC 2026.

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Buzz's soccer guide for the non-fan who doesn’t want to become the obsessed supporter but does not want to be seen as a noob during WC 2026 (or even the 2024 Copa America/Gold Cup 2026). ⚽📺📻🏟️

This thread will give you the bare minimum knowledge that will prevent soccer diehards from giving you these reactions: 🤷‍♂️ :crazy:🤦‍♂️😲🤣:duck:

So if you happen to out with random fans/friends at a bar, sports restaurants, or even a viewing party, you will not be seen as that "guy" that's trying to learn respectfully but is looked at as annoying instead. Buzz has you covered. Also, feel free to skip or ignore this thread if you have no interest.

As per other posters requests from the past, I won't be posting informative videos on this thread (unless someone asks for a suggestion).

The USMNT is currently ranked 13th in the world out of 211 countries. The highest honor the USA has achieved in soccer is third place in the 1930 World Cup. Concacaf is the region in which the USA plays in. We are currently the Concacaf Nations League Champions. We are hosting the championship in March in Dallas, TX. We will host Copa America this summer. Our domestic top league is Major League Soccer. Professional soccer leagues in America are ranked as divisions within a pyramid. The USSF decides the ranks of those leagues. The second division in America is the USL Championship. Unlike most leagues in the world, there is no promotion and regulation. Our biggest rival is Mexico.

A yellow card is a caution for a foul or a violation of the rules of the game. Two
yellow cards equal a red card, with tosses the player from the match and the position cannot be replaced with a substitute. Yellow cards accumulated with one being in two matches each will result in a player sitting out the next match. A straight red card for a serious violation or action during a match will result in an automatic suspension from a future match. The rules now allow for 5 substitutions on each team per match. There are two 45 minute halves, a 15 minute halftime, and stoppage time added to each half. A win equals 3 points, a draw is 1 point, and a loss zero. There are 5 top leagues in Europe (along with many smaller ones in each European country), England=Premier League, France=Ligue 1, Spain=La Liga, Germany= Bundesliga, and Italy=Serie A. As I mention before every country on earth has a league of their own. The rankings of those leagues can be found on Google. Most leagues are shown in the USA on Peacock, ESPN Plus, Paramount Plus and their tv affiliates (check your local listings). These leagues do have a pro/rel system and teams are independently owned and not part of single entity. All confederation have a Champions League with UEFA (Europe) seen as the most prestigious. You can find those matches on Paramount Plus and CBS/CBS Sports Network. The FIFA international breaks that happen throughout the regular season, are when national teams play outside the summer tournaments. This includes friendlies and qualifiers. The USSOCCER.com website has the USMNT schedule and UEFA.com has the European countries' schedules. Concacaf.com has the schedules for the other countries besides the USA within North America, Central America, and the Caribbean (yes, even small Carribean nations have teams). Every team (league and national team) has a supporter group. Just Google the closest professional team near you and check their website in regards to their supporter groups. While some supporter groups in Europe have a reputation for violence, the MLS and USL team supporters groups are instead known for family friendly environments and charity. Also, it should be mentioned that MLS has 3 teams in Canada (CF Montreal, Vancouver Whitecaps, and Toronto FC) and Canada does have their own smaller league known as the Canadian Premier League.

I hope this basic knowledge helps Disboarders who might want to know a little about the sport but not everything. Feel free to make comments or ask questions. :-)

Offsides: when the attacking player is beyond the last two defenders of the opposing team before the ball is in motion.
As we have discussed in the past, this is a rule I just don't understand the need for. If a team wants to take a chance and move their entire team down there, I say LET 'EM!

Oh, I understand the rule. What I don't understand is why the rule exists.

From the article:

"What is the point of the offside rule?
While at times confusing, the offside rule prevents teams from camping out in front of the goal and encourages more fluid play.

The offside rule forces teams to play smarter and has resulted in some great tactical battles."

Yes, I see that. Wanting a "more fluid game", but frankly I think it would be more exciting. Sort of like ice hockey when they leave the goal unattended and use that player on offense.
That rule applies in soccer too. The goalie can be technically pulled as a regular field player and leave the net unmanned.

I technically did.
No, you used the word beyond, relative to players. You didn't say what it means for one player to be "beyond" another. For example, in hockey, you are not "beyond" the blue line until the entirety of both of your skates are past the "leading edge" of the line. (I confess I do not know what the leading edge is; I thought it was the edge closest to the attacking goal, but it might be the other one.)

As to why: In both sports, disallowing an offside player makes the game more sporting, by not giving the attacking team an outsized advantage.

No, you used the word beyond, relative to players. You didn't say what it means for one player to be "beyond" another. For example, in hockey, you are not "beyond" the blue line until the entirety of both of your skates are past the "leading edge" of the line. (I confess I do not know what the leading edge is; I thought it was the edge closest to the attacking goal, but it might be the other one.)

As to why: In both sports, disallowing an offside player makes the game more sporting, by not giving the attacking team an outsized advantage.
Hence why VAR shows the invisible line.

I'll take a stab at it, not sure if you know the rule or are trying to help others...

If any PLAYABLE part (so hands & arms don't count) of an attacking player is beyond the "2nd to last defender" (keep in mind, the GK counts as a defender, but could be further up the field) AS the ball is passed (the ball is almost always 'in motion', so not a good determining phrase), they are in an "offside position"*.

"Beyond" is decided by an imaginary line drawn across the field at the "back" of the defender (meaning closer to their own goal). "Back" does not mean the physical back of the defender. The defender could be facing his goalie, and leaning toward the goalie and the line would be his head. I hope that makes sense.

*Being in an offside position, on it's own is NOT illegal. It's only illegal if they make a play on the ball. So someone could be in an offside position on the "near" sideline, but the ball is passed to a player at the "far" sideline, and that's totally legal (assuming THAT player is "onside").

Clear? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter