BWI vs. POR

ecefaratti

Earning My Ears
We have reservations for POR from 12/5-12/14. I called today to ask about a military discount, and they don’t have one available for our room type there, but they do at BWI. It would be about $700 more but still a great discount for a deluxe. We are a family of 5, with children ages 8, 6,and 6. We have stayed at POR before but never BWI. Any thoughts on if it is worth the extra money? I know $700 extra for a deluxe isn’t bad over 9 nights so we are trying to decide. Thanks!

We have reservations for POR from 12/5-12/14. I called today to ask about a military discount, and they don’t have one available for our room type there, but they do at BWI. It would be about $700 more but still a great discount for a deluxe. We are a family of 5, with children ages 8, 6,and 6. We have stayed at POR before but never BWI. Any thoughts on if it is worth the extra money? I know $700 extra for a deluxe isn’t bad over 9 nights so we are trying to decide. Thanks!

To us the extra $$ for the upgrade would be completely worth it. Being able to walk to 2 parks is key. And BWI has THE best pool slide on property. Your kids will love it.

Totally worth it just for the ability to walk to Epcot/HS. We've stayed at both resorts and BWI has bigger rooms, markedly nicer amenities, so for us it would be a no-brainer.

Do you have a plan for the $700 ? Were you going to book a tour or special event that you cannot do if you take the room change? Also remember that if you have your own car the cost of parking increases from moderate resorts to deluxe.

I agree with others that I'd upgrade to BWI. As mentioned above, the room will be larger/more comfortable for 5 people and you can't beat being within walking distance to 2 parks (also have the option of taking the boat).

Keep in mind that BWI doesn't have a QS restaurant, which you might want for breakfast. If this factors into your plans, it's worth thinking about.

POR is pleasant enough, I just think BWI is a little more pleasant :)

It really depends though. How much do you plan to utilize the room, resort, HS/EP benefit, and park hopping advantage? For us those things would make BWI worth the extra $100/night.

A valid point was made about using the $700 toward a party ticket, special meals or other fun experiences. That may hold more value for your particular trip style & age group.

I'm not a BWI fan and did not enjoy our stay there, so I'd stick with POR.

At BWI, rooms are much bigger, inside corridors, close to a lot of restaurants both table service and quick service as well as lounges, and close to HS and Epcot. We usually stick to the quiet pool rather than the clown pool but the clown pool is decently large with a slide. There's also a gym if you have any interest in that.

I’d switch to BWI in a heartbeat. I’ve stayed at both and didn’t enjoy POR. I thought the room was small for two people so I can‘t imagine being comfortable with five. Also, at BWI, there’s a lot you can walk to for entertainment. Added perk of a balcony for when your children are in bed, I’d choose BWI for sure.

I rarely recommend paying more to stay deluxe, mainly because it's usually $200-$300 more per night. BUT for only $700 more I would do it. The rooms are bigger, but only by 57 Sq Ft. and we did not feel like it was that much more roomy, because of the layout. We definitely liked the evening entertainment on the BW and how great it looks at night. The big con is their CS, we were very disappointed because a lot of times we do not want to have a TS meal and it was really lacking, plus their all outside on the boardwalk and not in the hotel, not great on rainy days. We did walk to Epcot and that was very nice but only did the walk to HS once and after that we took transportation to HS instead of walking the 1.2 miles. We rather save those steps for the park not to mention the heat outside, but the walk to Epcot is much better:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter