BWV for small kids

sky2823

Mouseketeer
we.are planning on staying at BWV during the winter with 3 smalls kids.

I realize it’s Disney and everything is kidscentric. We have stayed at AKV and VGF so far and had awesome experiences.

However, I get the vibe that BWV might be a little more adult oriented compared to other DVC resorts. (Drinking at Epcot, partying etc...)

I have no experience with any of the Epcot resorts, so wanted to get some opinions. Do you think BWV is right choice with 3 young children?

Thx

My husband, our then six year old daughter, and I stayed at BWV for a week in January of 2015. We had previously stayed at The Polynesian. We honestly hated BWV.

It was easy to catch a boat or walk to HS or Epcot, but bus service to MK and AK was awful. We waited over thirty minutes every time and often had to stand because of the number of people crammed onto each bus. We missed the monorail!

The Boardwalk Bakery was disgusting. It was our only QS option at the resort so we gave it several tries, but it was just nasty. Park Hoppers would have made it worthwhile to go into Epcot for QS meals.

The room itself was fine. It was a standard view studio and was close to the elevators. The CMs in the lobby were not super friendly at check in and our room was not ready until after 6pm.

We have since stayed at AKL and CSR. We won’t return to BWV.

We have taken our grandchildren several times and they had a great time every stay. They enjoyed the pool and play area, the boat ride to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and the boardwalk entertainment in the evening. We didn't experience any issues with the bus transportation to MK or AK. Granted several years ago there were a few issues with the bus transportation but the last few years have been fine. I think you will experience wait times for the bus at all the resorts occasionally this isn't just a BW issue. If your main focus is the MK than you should defiantly stay at a resort in that area. We plan on taking our four grandchildren in 2020, they will range in age from 2 to 8 years old. I have no worries about them enjoying their time at WDW and the BW. My now 6 year old grandson says he can't wait to go back to WDW and the BW.

My husband, our then six year old daughter, and I stayed at BWV for a week in January of 2015. We had previously stayed at The Polynesian. We honestly hated BWV.

It was easy to catch a boat or walk to HS or Epcot, but bus service to MK and AK was awful. We waited over thirty minutes every time and often had to stand because of the number of people crammed onto each bus. We missed the monorail!

The Boardwalk Bakery was disgusting. It was our only QS option at the resort so we gave it several tries, but it was just nasty. Park Hoppers would have made it worthwhile to go into Epcot for QS meals.

The room itself was fine. It was a standard view studio and was close to the elevators. The CMs in the lobby were not super friendly at check in and our room was not ready until after 6pm.

We have since stayed at AKL and CSR. We won’t return to BWV.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at the BW but glad you know that you don't like it and won't be returning. That might make it easier for me to book my stays there. I think BW has many fans which is one of the reasons why my waitlist for early DEC that was added at 10 months out hasn't been filled. As the saying goes "different strokes for different folks". If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world.

To the original poster, I think if you choose to stay at the BW you will have a great time. I'm sure that you will have a great time wherever you decide to stay. Please let us know what you decide.

The pool is fine for kids and there is an activity center with games and crafts. Easy walk or boat ride to BC, YC, DHS, and Epcot.

:earsboy: Bill

We love BWV- kids love the performers at night, loved getting food at the carts on the boardwalk and loved the pool. The walk to Epcot and and HS is a huge bonus point. We had no issues with transportation to MK or AK during our stay in April.

There are better choices for SMALL kids. The pool does not have zero entry, is deep, and the only slide is big. There is a single set of elevators that can make moving around the resort with strollers more difficult than at other resorts.

But we have had no problems with drunks (other than a BWV room over Big River which was a little loud late), transportation has been good more often than not, and our kids have been staying there regularly since they were in Kindergarten (they are both now young adults).

We own at BWV and love it! Yes, it has some drawbacks but then, every resort does. The Luna Park pool does not have zero entry but the splash and play area has a wading pool that is great for little ones. There is continental breakfast available in the Belle Vue lounge in the morning. Other QS foods can be found at the BW Bakery, which I can't imagine anyone calling "nasty" because I find it to be clean and well maintained with a cheerful, albeit very busy, staff. You can also get counter service food at Leaping Horse Libations (the pool bar) and over at the S/D, which is a short walk from the BWV side of the resort. The Screen Door General Store carries a nice variety of snack foods and some essentials like milk, bread, and cereal. Family entertainment includes movies at night on the Village Green, the surrey bikes, magicians and jugglers, and the Community Hall which sponsors a number of kids' activities and games and offers free DVD rentals.

I will acknowledge that transportation to MK is not always the best, especially if you are accustom to boarding the monorail and being whisked there in minutes. Living near a large city, I guess I don't think twice about the challenges of mass transit. They are the price you pay for the affordable way to get around. Disney transportation is generally hit or miss no matter where you stay. I would think that being able to push a stroller to 2 parks instead of folding it up to board a bus would be a plus in any young parent's book.

I don't think you'll even notice the drinking and partying that you're afraid of. Yes, some people drink to excess during Food & Wine. And there may be a few inebriated stragglers walking the boards after Jellyrolls closes. But I spent a week in a room with a boardwalk view and never noticed them. If it weren't for my brother-in-law telling me about the people watching he did around 2:30 AM (he has insomnia) I never would have thought it even happened.

If your kids are at the fall asleep in the stroller age, Boardwalk is great when you’re at Epcot or the Studios. No need to worry about waking them to fold up a stroller. My husband and I stayed at BWV 3 years ago when our oldest had just turned one. We liked how quiet the resort was during the day, and how peaceful the lake was to stroll around with our son when we weren’t at the parks. We used our kitchenette for most of his meals, and walked into World Showcase for most of ours - so QS at the resort wasn’t a big deal. If it was naptime - no biggie! He just slept in the stroller while we went to WS for food.

That being said, we now have a 4 1/2 year old and an 18 month old, and I wouldn’t stay there now (even though I love the resort) bc of the pool situation. At this point, we want a pool with zero entry for the toddler (or a little kid slide splash thing like SSR, WLV, GFV, or the Poly have) and a slide for the 4 1/2 year old. Our kids love the pools, so that’s the only reason it’s a major factor for us right now in our travels. I’m sure that’ll change as they grow up, and we’ll do Boardwalk again.

We own at BWV and have stayed there since our DSs were babies, they are teenagers now. We have also stayed in nearly all of the other DVC properties at WDW. We love BWV! Each resort has its pros and cons, zero entry being one con. But we love walking to DHS and Epcot, the boys loved doing a pirate cruise when they were younger, walking to miniature golf, Beaches and Cream, etc. We have never found Boardwalk Bakery “disgusting”. Some of our favorites are from the Boardwalk Bakery, although menus change all over WDW.

I could list my complaints with problems at the Poly with my stay there, or things I don’t like about it, but that doesn’t make it a bad place to stay! It just might be one bad experience! BTW, I would return to the Poly!

We just stayed at BWV during the July 4th holiday week with our 2 year old and didn't find any issues with it being too adult-oriented. Being able to walk or boat to 2 parks without having to fold up a stroller is so convenient (we walked to HS for TSL opening morning and it was quick and easy). There are lots of food options, and since we have APs we would often hop into Epcot to get something to eat. Ample Hills is great for ice cream. We tend to not use the pool every day, but didn't have any issues there either. There's a playground area and wading pool for younger kids which our son enjoyed, and he had no issues walking down the steps into the main pool (the pool where he has swim class also has steps and is not zero entry, so I don't think that's particularly important to us). Even during a holiday week we found the atmosphere around the lake to be as pleasant and nice as always. I imagine it could get rowdy late at night, but we're not out drinking at 2am so it wasn't on our radar. Bus transportation was pretty smooth except for one long wait for a bus to MK, but we also had one long wait for a bus to DS when we were staying at the Poly, so I think that's just hit or miss regardless of where you're staying. The Community Hall was fun for kids too. I think all the resorts have something to offer for adults and kids and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend BWV.

The MK area is great for kids, so is AKV but all of the resorts have good offerings for younger kids. But walking can be an issue as the halls are long (even longer at AKV) so if stairs are a problem that might be an issue. I'd give it a try.

Just a note that transportation from BWV to MK has gone from being mostly a pain to mostly quite good starting this year. BWV now has its own bus to MK that does not stop at Swan and Dolphin and has its own station at MK.

I have BWV waitlisted for part of our next trip because 1. they have a really nice water slide and 2. they have a community hall which my preschoolers love.

We own at the BW (more than 15 years) and have stayed there the last three years for large family trips. Ages ranging three years ago from 5 years-5mos, total of 9 grandchildren. Fast forward to this year ages 8 years - 5 months. In planning for our May 2019 trip our children expressed interest in a different resort at the 7 month window because there isn't enough to do at the BW. They did swim everyday but it was difficult for the non-swimmers who were too old/too big to do the kiddie pool. There isn't a splash pad at the BW. They did not go to the community hall. They enjoyed the games at the boardwalk. They wished that there was a larger play ground area, went to the Swan/Dolphin playground. They also played on the Village Green. I'm sorry if it seems as if I'm rambling but my brain is on overload trying to remember everything. Entire family felt that counter service is lacking at the BW.
We have done large family trips at BLT and OKW too.

Just a note that transportation from BWV to MK has gone from being mostly a pain to mostly quite good starting this year. BWV now has its own bus to MK that does not stop at Swan and Dolphin and has its own station at MK.
It's probably like the weather, wait 5 minutes.

It's probably like the weather, wait 5 minutes.

Ah, so satirical, but with Disney you are unfortunately so often correct. The now "experiment" rather than permanent change that occurred at AKV almost two years ago to provide separate AK busses for Jambo and Kidani to MK, lasted about 6 months, after which it returned to shared busses (although they still often now turn to separate busses during rush hours).

Last edited:
Ah, so satirical, but with Disney you are unfortunately so often correct. The now "experiment" rather than permanent change that occurred at AKV almost two years ago to provide separate AK busses for Jambo and Kidani to MK, lasted about 6 months, after which it returned to shared busses (although they still often now turn to separate busses during rush hours).
Probably more practical than satirical but I did get your attention. The point being that timeshares change over time, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. And often it's both depending on who you ask. That's why I am amused when people talk about their preferences on resorts and they are personnel based. Whether it's a good or bad experience with the front desk, bell services, even restaurant that's people driven, it's both subjective and could change on a moments notice. Transportation will always been an issue to some degree, just the nature of the beast. The 7 month window will work for some and not for others, that's just the way it is. Some of it will be luck, some based on expectations & personality and some based on the system at a given time. One can often take a 10K ft view approach and see trends but if you get too wrapped up in details, it often falls apart. OTOH, DVC is nothing if not inconsistent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter