• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BWV for the "mobility challanged"

Luci D.

Disney Dreamer
Hi :sunny:

I'm looking for some advice about a 1Br at BWV. I'm not a DVC member or renting points, we are just plain renting the room.

The ick part is, this year my right leg has completely conked out, I've got bursitis in the hip, degeneration in the knee, and now my ankle wants to mutiny on me, too, :confused3 so be it; I'm *still* going to WDW in 2 weeks to celebrate graduation and my b'day! (take that, right leg!)

My question is, can I possibly get a room that's near the elevators & near some sort of egress to the lakefront boardwalk area? The whole reason we went for a dang'ol' $$$-BWV was to minimize walking: quick jaunt to boat launch that'll take me to F&G at EPCOT, and/or to MGM for SWW (jaunt = quick, boat = very, very slow, heh heh, but I love those boats :banana: ) and anyway, when we're tired parks, we've got the whole BW thing going on. Oh, right, and the great big jacuzzi tub!!!! Yee-ha, BWV!

Weeeeeell, I read online & another post confirmed that BWV does not take faxed room requests. But they do consider special needs? Well, who do I need to call? And, what should I bring? I've got all kind of Dr & P.T. for the next 2 weeks, so I could give 'em whatever medical "note" or whatever they need. Anybody know what they need? Anybody know what I should ask for? (if I can find someone with room-assigning capacity to tell)

And, erm, maybe I should rent an EVC from someplace off site? Was planning on picking one up at parks, but, I'm hearing now that they go quickly.

heeheehee, now I'm picturing myself putting DH on one of those friend-ships, and getting on my groovy off-site rental scooter, and racing him to MGM.

Disney planning has made me giddy. :rotfl:

I posted on your other thread too.
If you are doing a cash reservation thru CRO, you can call the Resort Special Reservations number: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)

You can talk to the CMs there about what special features are in a handicapped accessible room. Since you have hip and knee problems, you might find that the raised seat toilet with grab bars is helpful. The fully wheelchair accessible rooms have a roll in shower (but don't worry, if you have a one or 2 bedroom villa, they also have the whirlpool tub).

You don't need any proof of your special needs.

For the questions about renting an ecv, check out
this thread.

I would strongly suggest renting an ECV from an off-site company. There is plenty of room in your room to keep it overnight (and attached to the charger) and then you don't have to worry about the long corridors.

Cheshire Figment said:
I would strongly suggest renting an ECV from an off-site company. There is plenty of room in your room to keep it overnight (and attached to the charger) and then you don't have to worry about the long corridors.

I would have to agree with this. Another difference is on how well they run and last. Just make sure you charge it every night, those babies last a long time. You can race :moped: and beat DH to MGM :rotfl: Have a great time. :cool1:

Since joining DVC I have stayed twice at BWV in a 1 bedroom 'pool/canal' view Handicap accessible room. Both times it was the unit nearest to the lifts facing out over Luna Park pool.

The elevator takes you down either to the main lobby, or one floor lower letting you out in the walkway between the front green and the Luna Park pool area.

Probably the shortest walking distance to the boat dock of any BWV room.

Andrew

(sorry lifts (UK English) = elevators)

Andrew Bichard said:
(sorry lifts (UK English) = elevators)
Is it more correct to lift one's hat to a lady in an elevator or to elevate one's hat to a lady in a lift? As the late GBS said: the British and the Americans are two people separated by a common language.

Mike

I'm not really sorry for this, I just couldn't resist. :duck: :rolleyes1

As I said on your other post I'm a big fan of having the ECV 24/7. It gives you so much freedom. I love it at DTD and when we go to other resorts. The "walk" to MGM is lovely along the water. :moped: I think you should seriously consider renting an ECV from one of the off-site vendors.

well, looks like I'll be rolling around WDW, got my ECV ressie all lined up.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Am so excited about the trip. 12 days to go :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter