• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BWV or OKW a Brits perspective?

PoohBears#1fan

DIS Veteran
Current plan for next year is to spend a week off site and a week on points, as we want to save most of the points for a 3 weeker in '05. We both fancy trying OKW and BWV but can't decide which one to go for, I know on the US boards they rave about OKW due to the size of the accomadation but would be interested in a UK perspective.

I know for both of us, the thing we really loved about BCV this year was the location, for me being able to walk to MGM and just stroll into EPCOT was amazing, so I think BWV may well win.

Would really love to hear some opinions on them both from people who have actually stayed there.

My DH and I have stayed at OKW 3 times. It is nice and relaxed and the accomodation is of course, larger than at the other resorts. On our last trip we happened to be staying in a bldg near one of the quiet pools which was absolute heaven for us. It was a week in September and it was as if we had our own private pool, there were so few people about.

OKW is truly wonderful if you like peace and quiet and a relaxing time.

The only down side is that my DH likes a beer at the end of the day and the bar area at OKW is not condusive to a relaxing hour or 2 for this purpose. (We did miss the British concept of pubs!) Trips back from BW by Disney transport takes forever at the end of the night. Our next trip, we are staying at BW so DH can spend his evenings with a drink or 2 at EPSN and then walk home.

Bottom line, it depends what you like to do on holiday.

Hi Jo,

As a BVW owner I'm probably a little biased :D but i'll try to give you my thoughts anyway!

We stayed in a studio at OKW last year for 6 nights, and as you know have just had a couple of weeks in a studio at BWV. Of the two the room at the BW seemed larger and more comfortable, probably because of the pull-out sofabed rather that the 2nd queen-size in the room at OKW.

For one-beds and above then OKW is a clear winner on space . I took a sneak peek in a room that was being cleaned whilst we were there and it did look a fair bit bigger than the same room type at BVW and VWL. However, those rooms still seem enormous to me - maybe if I stayed in an OKW 1-bed I would be spoilt for life :D

As for location...well as lovesdisney said, it is really quiet and peaceful at OKW. We were there in early May and there were very few people around. The Disney transport was mostly pretty good, although the internal bus route can add significantly to your schedule - we didn't have a car on that trip and were at one of the furthest stops, so got quite familiar with the rest of the resort! Having said that, the bus back to BW can take an age too with visiting the Swan, Dolphin, YC & BC first.

We really enjoyed Olivia's and had a couple of nice meals there, but apart from take-out that's your lot unless you travel or cook :eek: At BW you have ESPN, Big River, Spoodles, etc, plus the restaurants at Epcots within easy reach. I love to watch reflections of earth with a beer in hand and then take a slow walk back to the resort rather than queue for a bus - perfect end to an evening for me!

Just to confuse matters, have you considered VWL? Point cost is slightly higher per night, but it has a nice mix of peace and quiet plus the closeness to MK.

Just remember, whatever you decide it will be wonderful :D

Paul

Gotta love them both! :)

We enjoy OKW for the boat trip to DD, the fishing (for DH :rolleyes: ) and the laid back, relaxed atmosphere for a change from the pace of the parks.

We also love BWV (although I confess we've only spent one night there so far!) for the whole Boardwalk area and convenience for Epcot and MGM. It's almost like staying in the parks.

Why not spend a couple of days at both? ::yes::

Hello :wave:

We have just come back from two weeks at Boardwalk and four days at Old Key West, so I will give you are views. It is different for everyone though. There was DH and me (aged 31 and 29) and we stayed in a Studio at both resorts.

Boardwalk - this is our 'home'
Plus points for us walk to EPCOT and MGM, stoll around the lake to visit the restaurants at Yacht and Beach Club,The Swan and The Dolphin. Watching Illuminations fireworks from your room if you have a Boardwalk view. The pool and slide as well as the quiet pool. Having a bed and a sofa seemed like more room in the studio. Seemed like more room in the kitchenette area, in-room safe.
Negative points - potentially long walk to room.

Old Key West
Our first trip here....we only stayed four day's.
Plus points the Boat to Downtown Disney, cheaper on points.
Negative points- Far too spread out for us, we stayed what seemed like the furthest away from HH and needed to use the Internal Bus. No in-room safe. Room seemed darker and smaller(I know they are not), Congestion in the Kitchenette/Cupboard area. Air conditioning outside the room which makes a racket when you wanted to sit on the patio.

Again I stress this is different for everyone and depends what you want out of your holiday. We feel that we will not stay at OKW again even though the points are lower.

Thank you everyone - that's all really helpful :)

You've all pretty much confirmed what we were thinking, the lure of OKW was really the low points that time of year as we don't want to use many, but for an extra few points the lure of The Boardwalk's location and entertainment is looking to be the winner.

Also thinking back to this years holiday, the best memory was sitting outside Big River, lager in hand, watching Illuminations and knowing we'd be taking a nice leisurely stroll 'home', no queuing for buses etc. - it doesn't get any better than that.

Can't wait to get back!!!! :)

Just back from OKW ( home resort ) stayed 10nts. JMHO lot more space bigger rooms a lot quieter. And if you want more noise more choice of places to eat just nip over to the BW or BCV, i mean its valet parking for free what could be better.

Talk to a CM about saratoga springs and its going to be along the same lines as OKW. Grand villas again bigger layout not having to share it with regular hotel guests.

But wait for it $89 a point --- it only really hit -- we only paid $55 a point wooooow what a bargin ( plus we got free park passes the first couple of years )-- JMHO but OKW wins big time even the CM agreed. They have so many people wanting to buy into it.

Ohhh and you do get room safes in the 1-bedroom.

jj........... pirate:

I think a lot depends on what you'll plan to be doing this trip and how many of you there will be. If there is just two of you then the extra room size of a studio at OKW is cancelled out by having the sofa bed (IMHO for a couple this is a nicer option) , if you have any kids then having two proper beds may be the better choice.

As far as "ambiance" goes, some people like to feel they are in the "middle of the action" but as JJ correctly points out if you're at OKW you do have the option to pretty quickly get to a "happening venue" but you still have the option of retiring to some peace and quiet if you wish. IMHO at BWV (and to a lesser degree BCV) you often don't have that option. I prefer the quietness of OKW if their were just two of us around one of the quiet pools, obviously you can't guarantee that, but it is a nice experience if you value your space.

As you stayed at BCV last trip it may work better though , if you'll stay at all resorts over time, to stay at OKW this trip to give you something reasonably different. That way you're not comparing two quite similar resorts in a following trip. By putting a very different resort style in the middle it will reduce the chances of the "well this is ok , but the BCV was better at ...."

If points were tight ( aren't they always) I might take the cheaper option anyway LOL.

Thank you Vernon & JJ :)

The quietness at OKW sounds wonderful which is in fact making me think that we shouldn't go there and disprupt it for everyone with our what will then be 22 month old!!! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter