• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BWV Refurb Progress

I have gone back and forth on the "Boardwalk' feel. I'm sure my opinion will change 10 more times, especially once I stay there in 5 Days!

One thing that I think they could have done in regards to the "theme" is to take a page form the Poly DVC. The theme"ing" of those are definitely Poly. For Boardwalk Theme they could have had roller coaster, carnival, ocean or other amusement type theming on the lamps, bed cover, murphy bed etc. Little touches even with the same new furniture might have solved the issue.

A lot of the DVC villas at different resorts are losing their unique character; they're nice, but not as creative or "fun." For many of these places, you could be staying at a Hilton on the New Jersey turnpike and never know you were in a Disney resort in Florida.

That said: perhaps Disney has reasoned that a lot of vacationers don't spend a lot of time in the hotel room, so why go to all that trouble? Especially if the bright colors and whimsical decor can't withstand too much wear and tear? Or: maybe they are intentionally under-designing the rooms, making them just a little bit boring, to discourage people from lingering in the rooms. They'd much prefer people be in the parks or at Downtown Disney, spending money. They're sending a message: you want magic? You won't find it staying in your hotel room. (Do they even have many pictures of iconic Disney characters hanging on the hotel room walls anymore?)

Whatever the reasoning, I think it's a bad idea. It's diminishing the brand.
I don't think it is Disney trying to keep us out of our rooms, so much as it is cheaper and faster for Mousekeeping to clean solid floors rather than carpet. Cheaper to launder little accent duvets, rather than full bedspreads. Also the specialty tile was harder to keep clean. The older tile was unique and obviously custom to the resort so it was probably VERY expensive to install and replace. The new generic subway tiles and mosaics can be had at Home Depot... much less expensive. The custom Hidden Mickeys in soft goods from drapes, shower curtains, carpeting, linens as well as the adorable lamps (think stacked teacups) were all costly as they had to be designed, ordered, then manufactured. The new generic look can be changed quickly and much less expensively.

So I think the main factors are a change in top hospitality management thinking; their focus is on reduction of cost in room upgrades and maintenance. The feel of the room has changed so much that I also believe a new "interior designer/team" came up with the "look". The previous team would have tried to instill some Disney Magic within this elegance.

Has anyone stayed in a refurb H/A studio. How was it? Would appreciate feedback. Thanks.
'Nanajo1, our wonderful housekeeper let me take these photos after someone checked out. These photos are of the BW view HA studio. Too bad they didn't replace tile in the shower. The tile in our 1 bedroom HA that connects to this studio HAS BEEN replaced.

http://s412.photobucket.com/user/jekjones1558/media/image_3.jpeg.html

http://s412.photobucket.com/user/jekjones1558/media/image_7.jpeg.html

http://s412.photobucket.com/user/jekjones1558/media/image_7.jpeg.html

We are at the BWV right now. Just arrived yesterday (4/19/2015). We were pleasantly surprised to be placed in a refurbished studio (Boardwalk View). We are in the Crest of the Wave section, room 3005 (third floor). As we made the last turn into this section yesterday, we noticed that the hallway carpet suddenly changed so we had hope. Sure enough, when we opened the door, it was a freshly refurbished room. :jumping1:

Here are some pictures:

...our view...

Thank you so much for posting these pics. My wife and I have a BMV studio booked for January and these photo's will really help ratchet up the excitement!!

Doug :goofy:

We arrived today, in a standard 1 bedroom. Didn't get a renovated room, on 2nd floor. But room is in good shape and haven't heard any noise yet.

We just left BWV on Friday 10/23. We had a 1 bedroom standard view #1101 facing the driveway area. The room was not renovated but was in very good shape. The whole time we were there we had workmen directly outside out doors on the patio and in huge machines painting the outside. We had a lot of park time on this trip so it was not a huge issue but if it had been our normal chill kind of stay it would have been just awful. The rest of our party had studios on the fourth floor, garden/pool view but had the coveted overlooking the green rooms. They were all renovated and I have to say they look amazing. I know there have been at alot of differing opinions on here but after seeing them in person I love what they did. It looks fresh, clean updated and they have an understated charm. The coffee table addition is a huge plus for me and even the table and chairs setup was OK (I know many of you are not fans).I have no photos because those studios had 20 somethings in them and you can imagine what they looked like most of the time!! I am so hoping to get a renovated studio late April.

Wondering if anyone has checked in lately and has any updates on the construction.....we check in this Thursday 10/29 and will post an update if no one else has done so

We checked in yesterday (10/24/15). We have a 2 bdrm lock-off #4044/4046 and a stand alone studio #4056 on the 4th floor - pool/garden view. Rooms are all renovated and just beautiful! Great location across from grand villa #4047.

Will post pics in the next post.

Thanks everyone for the update...I've requested top floor...wondering if I should add renovated room as well

We didn't request a renovated room, but did ask for top floor near elevators right at the 11 month mark. I'm not sure if that helped our chances or not. Good luck!

This is our 2bd lock-off. Studio #4044 (door on right) + 1 bdrm #4046 (door on left)

Tucked back in the corner, across from GV #4047

Some pics of our 2bd

kitchen

master king

master bath

master walk in closet

studio

fold down single in studio unit

studio armoire drawers are pretty small (approx. 12 x 30). there is no under the bed drawer space.

studio closet

vacuum and steamer in 1bd foyer closet. (studio side only has a vacuum)

We didn't request a renovated room, but did ask for top floor near elevators right at the 11 month mark. I'm not sure if that helped our chances or not. Good luck!

Thanks for posting the photos...hope we get as lucky as you...looks like a great location..

Wow, the studio seems more spacious and very cool to have the steamer in the 1 bedrooms.

We were in a one bedroom from 10/8-10/17 and the lovely light colored couch and bedroom rug were badly stained already. May not have been the best choices unfortunately.

We are here In a standard studio on 2nd floor. Not renovated. We were told that they just are finishing up the 4th floor of the wing where the standard rooms are and quiet pool view. The 3rd, 2nd, & 1st floors are all not touched yet. There is room renovations going on, plus they are replacing the ac units with huge cranes and in the front they have cherry pickers to paint. Today we couldn't not access our balcony because it's being painted. So lots going on here in every area of the resort

We're staying for our first BWV trip in 2016 - standard view studio. Personally I like the look - and the refurb went a long way in choosing to stay at this resort. Thanks very much for the info, and especially to those who took the time to take pictures and post them.

Sounds like the are doing the wing to the right of the quiet pool. Lots of noise today we heard from walking by at the pool. Also bringing out old furniture etc.

I have gone back and forth on the "Boardwalk' feel. I'm sure my opinion will change 10 more times, especially once I stay there in 5 Days!

One thing that I think they could have done in regards to the "theme" is to take a page form the Poly DVC. The theme"ing" of those are definitely Poly. For Boardwalk Theme they could have had roller coaster, carnival, ocean or other amusement type theming on the lamps, bed cover, murphy bed etc. Little touches even with the same new furniture might have solved the issue.

Just got back from BWV studio (dedicated boardwalk view).

Room was refurb'd. It looks nice "ish" . If you are looking for an updated, fresh paint, large TV you will be happy.

My most recent thoughts quoted above are ringing true for me. I am disappointed in the lack of theme. When I say that, it is not comparing the old studios to the update but the studios at other DVC resorts. If you stay at the Poly, VGF, Jambo, Wilderness Lodge you have a strong feel for where you are staying. At the BW I'm not feeling it, unless you consider two undersized pictures over the sofa. The photos by the way are in modern frames and have a modern artsy photos of a ferris wheel. I guess that is the Boardwalk feel.

Some of the random issues that I have with the room.
1- The coffee table is bulky looking with monster sized spindles. The top is a faux marble that does not match anything. The Kitchenette countertop is a different, not that it needs to match but I could at least understand the choice. The nightstand top is a different material (almost a corian kitchen countertop material)
2- the wood chairs with the fold down table are heavy straight legs are different design of table or faux wicker chair in corner. The legs seem to be scratching the foldaway bed base when not in use.
3- The hanging light fixture is hanging in between murphy bed and corner chair (due to that is where the old table was). Not only is it just out of place it is of a modern style high chrome. The Brushed chrome handles on the white shutter dresser is ornate in design. The handles on the murphy bed are chrome with a different modern sleek look. The nightstand has different knobs.

Disney always speaks of a backstory, a theme. I can't figure out what the theme might be. My wife thinks the story is a college student who randomly grabbed furniture from different friends for their apartment. Definitely not a Disney inspired story. I think it is a story of having 5 or 6 different people responsible to purchase and they were blindfolded and not allow to talk to other buyers. I say buyers because I can't believe it was a designer.

I took the Ballyhoo tour, which if you have time and are a fan of the Boardwalk I recommend. It is obvious that whoever did design or purchase they have no understanding of the Boardwalk story, or took the tour. Being modeled after a turn of the century hotel is lost on the designers.

I understand that we all will have opinions on room color, flooring, carpet choice etc. I just don't get why not keep it with the design of the hotel. Instead of sleek artwork, why not look at any of the 100's of framed pictures throughout the hotel and use them as inspiration. I don't know what you call the bed covers at the foot of the bed, but why not just have that themed at a minimum. The Boardwalk, carnival theme has to be one of the easiest on property.

Money was spent, i truly believe that adding touches consistent with the hotel theme could have been done within their budget. I am not one to call for people to lose their jobs but whoever designed it and whoever approved the design and purchase need to be moved to the custodial staff sweeping up popcorn in the parks. It just makes zero sense in my opinion.

Last edited:
Poison Ivy....thanks for those great photos. Magnifying mirror.....love it. Love the new shower too. The furniture looks "electic"....is that the right word? Exactly like the beach homes I've been in: cast offs that don't match. But it all somehow looks great. Glad to see the carpet gone in the living room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter