BWV Std rooms - none available?

BaybeeYoda

Mouseketeer
Good morning to everyone-- sorry if this has been answered already. I did a quick search on the forums to see if this has already been answered but could not find anything. Hope someone with much more knowledge can help me understand what is going on?

just tried to see if I could book a possible trip next year in February in a std bwv studio/1bd/2bd. Nothing, I mean nada, is available. The boardwalk view was open, which is fine and dandy, but of course being me and cost conscious, I'm hoping for the standard view. There are no std views available to book. Is there an official reason for this? Renovations?

Thank you all in advance!

DVC will be starting a refurbishment of BWV starting in the fall. So my guess is they expect to be in that area around then.

Ok thank you. That means all standard rooms in January and February 2024….
Or people are walking.
Or they are simply taken. BWV Standard Studios are often gone at 11 months due to a combo of quick fingers and walking.

2BR will be gone when all studios are gone. 1BR not being there does suggest refurb timing, however, as the 1BRs often stick around a bit after the 11 month window.

All BW view villas were blocked off from a date in September to a date in November. Now all Standard view villas are blocked off from early January as far into February as can be booked. It’s suspected that work will be done on the outside of the building in each of those areas during the dates each category is blocked, but Disney hasn’t made any announcements.

It’s suspected that work will be done on the outside of the building in each of those areas during the dates each category is blocked, but Disney hasn’t made any announcements.

Should we assume interior refurbishments are going on at the same time?

I know when I tried booking BWV standard studio 11-months in advance for an early November trip, it was already booked up. All that was available were the other two pricier views. So, for just a few points more, I went for standard 1 bedroom, lol

Fingers crossed we'll hear more about this. We're planning for a May 2024 stay and i'm hoping all the rooms are updated by then ;)

It’s almost up to two months now Disney appears to have pulled all standard view rooms from inventory at 11 months. I also heard they had done something similar with boardwalk rooms end of last year. Does Disney really keep that many points at resorts where they can book entire room categories for multiple months in a single year or are they reaching point we have to assume they are pulling rooms without paying for them?

It’s almost up to two months now Disney appears to have pulled all standard view rooms from inventory at 11 months. I also heard they had done something similar with boardwalk rooms end of last year. Does Disney really keep that many points at resorts where they can book entire room categories for multiple months in a single year or are they reaching point we have to assume they are pulling rooms without paying for them?
They're allowed to block rooms for maintenance issues, which to me would include exterior work that doesn't allow guests to stay in those rooms at the same time, as well as refurbishment. And it seems to me that it's better for them to block them from being booked instead of letting people book them and then having to move those guests. Similar things have happened in the past when refurb was planned - I can remember some of the Jambo villas being blocked from booking a few years ago, and it turned out that the regular hotel rooms very near to them were going to be refurbished and the DVC villas wouldn't be accessible during that time.

Last year Disney took back quite a few BWV contracts under ROFR, and folks on the Purchasing forum here and elsewhere have noted they haven't sold nearly as many points as they took back. Maybe they're using those points to cover all these rooms they have to block in order to get the required refurbishments done.

They're allowed to block rooms for maintenance issues, which to me would include exterior work that doesn't allow guests to stay in those rooms at the same time, as well as refurbishment. And it seems to me that it's better for them to block them from being booked instead of letting people book them and then having to move those guests. Similar things have happened in the past when refurb was planned - I can remember some of the Jambo villas being blocked from booking a few years ago, and it turned out that the regular hotel rooms very near to them were going to be refurbished and the DVC villas wouldn't be accessible during that time.

Last year Disney took back quite a few BWV contracts under ROFR, and folks on the Purchasing forum here and elsewhere have noted they haven't sold nearly as many points as they took back. Maybe they're using those points to cover all these rooms they have to block in order to get the required refurbishments done.
Just to clarify I was under impression when they pulled rooms from inventory for maintenance they had to do that with points they own. Is that not accurate? I assume the points have to come from them in some fashion or you end up in scenario where more points in system then rooms.

Just to clarify I was under impression when they pulled rooms from inventory for maintenance they had to do that with points they own. Is that not accurate? I assume the points have to come from them in some fashion or you end up in scenario where more points in system then rooms.
That's my understanding too - although when emergencies occur, they can pull those rooms too (and then have to make other arrangements for the guests who would have been put in those rooms).

Per Florida timeshare law Disney is required to own at all times a minimum of 2% of the points in each and every resort. But at any given time, Disney probably owns more than 2% of the points at BWV (or any other resort) as a result of ROFR, foreclosures, or other actions that result in Disney reacquiring points they previously sold. So they could be using the points they took back via ROFR last year, plus the 2% they always own, plus whatever foreclosure points they have, plus other points that they legitimately own, to "book" the rooms they're blocking now.

That's my understanding too - although when emergencies occur, they can pull those rooms too (and then have to make other arrangements for the guests who would have been put in those rooms).

Per Florida timeshare law Disney is required to own at all times a minimum of 2% of the points in each and every resort. But at any given time, Disney probably owns more than 2% of the points at BWV (or any other resort) as a result of ROFR, foreclosures, or other actions that result in Disney reacquiring points they previously sold. So they could be using the points they took back via ROFR last year, plus the 2% they always own, plus whatever foreclosure points they have, plus other points that they legitimately own, to "book" the rooms they're blocking now.
This makes sense but I just quickly ran the numbers and just what they have booked for the standard view so far would be 101,025 points which would be slightly more then 2% of resort. I don’t have exact dates for the boardwalk view rooms when pulled but if we assume it’s similar number of points (less rooms but more points per room) we’re looking at them pulling 4% of inventory for refurb before we even begin to try to estimate what they are pulling for any sort of interior refurbs where the entire category isn’t pulled at same time.

This makes sense but I just quickly ran the numbers and just what they have booked for the standard view so far would be 101,025 points which would be slightly more then 2% of resort. I don’t have exact dates for the boardwalk view rooms when pulled but if we assume it’s similar number of points (less rooms but more points per room) we’re looking at them pulling 4% of inventory for refurb before we even begin to try to estimate what they are pulling for any sort of interior refurbs where the entire category isn’t pulled at same time.
I don’t have any current figures, but I’ve read in the past that at any given time, DVC might have 5% or more of the points at a resort under their control. Maybe someone who tracks ROFR, foreclosures, etc. and can compare the number of BWV points taken back over the last couple of years to the number of BWV points sold direct over that same period of time will comment here and estimate how many/what percentage of BWV points Disney owns at this time.

Or people are walking.
Or they are simply taken. BWV Standard Studios are often gone at 11 months due to a combo of quick fingers and walking.

2BR will be gone when all studios are gone. 1BR not being there does suggest refurb timing, however, as the 1BRs often stick around a bit after the 11 month window.
I am a new owner of BWV and was curious about all this, but then I am now curious that could you explain 'walking' to me?
From context I would think its someone booking a reservation at 11 months out and constantly adding and removing a day from the reservation to 'walk' it through the weeks. Am I close?

I am a new owner of BWV and was curious about all this, but then I am now curious that could you explain 'walking' to me?
From context I would think its someone booking a reservation at 11 months out and constantly adding and removing a day from the reservation to 'walk' it through the weeks. Am I close?
That’s the general idea of walking, it uses the fact you can modify reservation into days you already have booked so by booking 11 months + 7 days you can slowly step out the reservation. While I don’t know when the original post about walking was posted I’d be shocked if this is walking as 1bedroom is taken as well and both categories have been booked the max time every day for the time. This to me is clearly Disney taking rooms out for some sort of refurb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter